cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsize my tow vehicle

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year I downsized my RV from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer and have loved my decision. I feel a lot more comfortable towing my new, lighter travel trailer instead of a 11,000lb 5th wheel.

Now I am considering downsizing my truck from a 2007 F250 diesel to a 2015 f-150. Comparing the 2015 3.5L ecoboost engine to the 2007 diesel I gain 40 HP (325hp vs 365hp) but lose 150 lb-ft of torque(570lb-ft vs 420lb-ft). I am wondering how much I will miss that extra 150 lb-ft of torque while towing.

Any of you Travel Trailer owners made a similair switch from a F250 diesel to a F-150 ecoboost? Do you regret it? I would get a new F250 but the prices on them have really gone up and not sure I want to spend that much since I have a lighter travel trailer now.

My travel trailer weighs 5400 lbs empty and has max load of 7500 lbs.

Edit:
For what it's worth, one of the trips we were debating next year is going to Colorado for a two week camping trip. Would I severely regret trying to tow my travel trailer in Colorado with the F-150?

Edit #2:
Here are the specs on the truck and camper:
Truck
Empty: 4871
Carrying: 2080
GVWR: 7000
Towing: 10700
GCWR: 16100

Camper
Empty: 5483
Carrying: 2017
Max: 7500
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
20 REPLIES 20

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on truck usage. If you tow a lot I would get a 2500. They can be had for less than 50,000. I paid considerably less for my ram so I would assume there are fords at a competitive price point. If you tow rarely and it's a daily driver I would get a well optioned for towing 1500.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
carl2591 wrote:
I understand your issue.. the 2007 which is the 6.0L navistar engine could be one PITA engine.. but, when bulletproofed did become a very good engine with lot of HP/torque and above average MPG.

Just in a dollars and sense look if the' 07 is paid off the engine upgrades run 5-7K. Having a new vehicle is nice if you can swing the payments and such. New "car" warranty is a good thing but at what cost.

the new ford 2015s are nice indeed and going for some 50K.

ME, I try to find ways not to spend money is possible when possible. But sometime you gotta do what you gotta do..

Just sayin..

mfoster711 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Honestly, from what I have read your diesel will get as good fuel economy as the Eco?. So IMHO why change??
Good question. Two reasons:
1) I have had one too many issues with the 2007 and want to buy something new with a warranty again.
2) I like the newer trucks and just want one

Very good info. For the difference in money, if the 07' is paid for, I would stick with it and save the money for any upgrades or repairs.
I'm still running a 2000 F-350 with the 7.3 and I have no reason to change.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 5500 dry weight TT with a GMC 1/2 ton truck. Works but our MPG towing is about 8. Also we have not towed alot in hills and not in mountains. We think if we did alot of hills we would be happier with a 3/4.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I think the 150 would work for you, with that trailer. You will be happy with the EB towing power. Be sure of the actual payload, of the truck you are going to purchase. If 2,000 plus, you'll be fine there too.

I don't think the price of a new 250 gas, would be much more than the EB 150. If you are used to the Super Duty ride, the 6.2 gas is a strong puller.

Either truck will work, for your setup. The 150 will ride better, when not towing, if that is a concern.

Jerry
Agreed with the price difference. I actually paid less for my 2015 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 6.2L than my 2013 F-150 XLT Crew Max Tow similarly equipped.

With that said, I think a Max Tow would be more than adequate for the OPs trailer and if he wants a more comfortable daily driver then I would go with that. If you don't mind driving a 3/4 ton every day then I go with that. When I get into my old F-150 it's like a sports car compared to the F-250.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
JMO but I think you would be back to where you started, that is you weren't comfortable towing 11,000 with the F250. I towed 7300lbs with my 2010 F150 5.4 3.73 Max Tow. It did OKAY. When I moved up to my current 2012 Ram 2500 CTD I saw the light. It was so much more comfortable towing. The TT used to move the F150 a little sometimes. Never white knuckle but it was obvious that the F150 was not 100% in charge of the trailer. I was using an EQ 4pt sway WD. I did at one point install a used Hensley Arrow. That made a huge difference in the towing aspect with the F150. Did nothing for the whimpy 5.4 though.
Point is if you decide to got the F150 route I would invest in one of the premium hitches like a Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow. The 3.5 EB has great torque and should pull that load just fine. It's the stability factor that you'll give up.

finz04
Explorer
Explorer
Just another opinion,

I don't claim to be an expert on trucks or trailers. And I know some folks like Fords or Chevy or etc. or diesels or gas or etc. But I have a 2015 Lance 1985 (dry weight 3925#/GVWR 5700#) and my TV is a 2013 F150 4x4 supercab (3.7EB 6 cyl.). No problems pulling my rig. That includes hills, highways, etc. I'm probably around 10 to 13/gal when towing. It came with built-in sway control. The vehicle will sense any sway and alternate pumping brakes left and right to correct. However I can't say that I have noticed any sway or correction.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
What's the RAWR on the 150?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I understand your issue.. the 2007 which is the 6.0L navistar engine could be one PITA engine.. but, when bulletproofed did become a very good engine with lot of HP/torque and above average MPG.

Just in a dollars and sense look if the' 07 is paid off the engine upgrades run 5-7K. Having a new vehicle is nice if you can swing the payments and such. New "car" warranty is a good thing but at what cost.

the new ford 2015s are nice indeed and going for some 50K.

ME, I try to find ways not to spend money is possible when possible. But sometime you gotta do what you gotta do..

Just sayin..

mfoster711 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Honestly, from what I have read your diesel will get as good fuel economy as the Eco?. So IMHO why change??
Good question. Two reasons:
1) I have had one too many issues with the 2007 and want to buy something new with a warranty again.
2) I like the newer trucks and just want one
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I think that you will do fine. Just make sure that you are not picking up 'any F-150 on the lot' - you need to select one with all the heavy duty towing options.

If you just walk in and pick a F-150 EB truck, you probably will get a light GVWR. If you select the correct option package, you can get a 7,800 pound GVWR. There is a HUGE difference in the two trucks. One will have about 400 pounds extra cargo rating, while a standard pickup ordered as a grocery getter will not have nearly as much GVWR as you might need while towing.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, went through NM to CO and the ecoboost did great...towing about 9500lbs.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Went from a 2006 F250 fx4 crew to a 2013 F150 4x4 Screw. The trailer will push the F150 around a little more. Powerwise, you won't miss the 6.0. Economy wise, you'll likely drop 2-3 mpg while towing...but you'll pick up 3-4 while NOT towing.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think the 150 would work for you, with that trailer. You will be happy with the EB towing power. Be sure of the actual payload, of the truck you are going to purchase. If 2,000 plus, you'll be fine there too.

I don't think the price of a new 250 gas, would be much more than the EB 150. If you are used to the Super Duty ride, the 6.2 gas is a strong puller.

Either truck will work, for your setup. The 150 will ride better, when not towing, if that is a concern.

Jerry

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
mfoster711 wrote:
Last year I downsized my RV from a 5th wheel to a travel trailer and have loved my decision. I feel a lot more comfortable towing my new, lighter travel trailer instead of a 11,000lb 5th wheel.

....snip.........

You answered your own question. A big part of your increased comfort level has to do with having a more than adequate tow vehicle. Why give up that advantage?

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT weighs 4800# empty and I'm towing it with a standard-payload F150 EB (my daily driver.) NO PROBLEMS, NO REGRETS. The EB has adequate low-end torque and coupled with the 6-speed it accelerates nicely. Mileage is 9.5-10 MPG. If you're worried about payload order the Max Payload package or at least the Max Tow.
Side note - if we're taking a trip w/o the TT my F150 rides nicer than DW's Toyota.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......