cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving with the frige on?

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
Our new TT is our 3rd rv. Started with a pop up, then a motorhome. In both our old rigs we traveled with the refrigerator running. For some reason I have not in our new TT. We are planning a trip that will require 2 days to get there. It would be nice to keep the frig and freezer cold. Is it really that unsafe to travel with the frige running?
34 REPLIES 34

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
pf32450 wrote:
I would like to expand on the question about this. For those that run on propane about how long will a 30# tank last. And my other question is in reference to turning off propane while refueling. Now I do understand what all are saying about keeping it on, but do you just shut off the tank or go in to your TT and turn off the refrigerator. Our refrigerator sits on the opposite side of the TV fuel tank. I have never as yet run propane while going down the road so want to make sure if I do that I am keeping myself and others safe at the pump. Thanks.

I shut off the fridge itself when refueling- my theory is that if I just turn the tank off the flame will still burn for a bit on the gas still in the line.

I usually don't bother to relight until the next regular non-fueling stop- things stay cold just fine for hours!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
The flame used for absorption is about the size of a pilot light. So that should give you some insight in to how long a 30lb tank will last.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

pf32450
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to expand on the question about this. For those that run on propane about how long will a 30# tank last. And my other question is in reference to turning off propane while refueling. Now I do understand what all are saying about keeping it on, but do you just shut off the tank or go in to your TT and turn off the refrigerator. Our refrigerator sits on the opposite side of the TV fuel tank. I have never as yet run propane while going down the road so want to make sure if I do that I am keeping myself and others safe at the pump. Thanks.
2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8321KBS
2010 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6.4L Diesel

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at Forest River's site. They don't say if their fridges are 2 or 3 way, but they do say they are double door. I don't think I've ever seen a 3 way that was bigger than a small one door (usually in popups) - not saying there is not any larger than that, just not common.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

stephend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes no problem
3 married children, 7 gr ch
Electrical engineer married to mom/homemaker
Log Home on lake to retire in 8 years
Not golfer, fisherman or hunter but Let's go camping!!
2013 Ford F150 5.0L 3.55 Axle Supercrew Cab Short Bed w/2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
thirtydaZe wrote:
Markiemark32 wrote:
thirtydaZe wrote:
How come so many run their fridge off of propane when traveling? I run ours, but don't run the propane route.

My extension cord to run electric is not long enough when traveling.

So propane is used when I travel.

Markiemark

Mine appears to run off the battery just fine. with the 7 pin plugged into the back of my truck, never an issue.

Is it not designed to run this way?

IF your fridge is a 3-way (AC--then Propane---then DC) it can run on DC power
IF your fridge is a 2-way (AC or propane) then it only uses AC when plugged in and Propane when not if in 'auto'
The DC supplies control board/panel power only.

Is your fridge a 3-way?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:
Markiemark32 wrote:
thirtydaZe wrote:
How come so many run their fridge off of propane when traveling? I run ours, but don't run the propane route.

Markiemark

Mine appears to run off the battery just fine. with the 7 pin plugged into the back of my truck, never an issue.

I don't believe it is running off a vehicle system.

If so, this propane debate, would not happen all the time.

I think as some are pointing out, Fridge will hold temps (depending on the travel time), may not have to run on propane, on a short trip.

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
SteveAE wrote:
mikeflys,

I used to travel with the propane on. However, after I had one of the rubber hoses between the propane bottle and regulator split, allowing propane to spew out at a rate that was less than required to trip the protection device built into the tank, but high enough to dump quite a bit of propane, I stopped the practice. So far, our refrigerator seems to stay plenty cold while traveling. Just my experience, and as you are seeing many choose to leave it on.

Steve

That hose could have split while being parked.
Traveling with it on didn't cause the failed hose

Both Dometic and Norcold have statements in their fridge manuals that operating the fridge while in transit does not present a problem.
It is in reference to level operation BUT you can bet that the corporate lawyers had a hand in approving the language.

Running with it ON propane OR NOT is a personal choice....not a safety problem.
Being valved out is required in some tunnels and on ferries (both of which I encounter back east).....signs posted when required.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, make sure to turn it off when refueling and to be aware that there are tunnels that prohibit running propane while driving through them. There would be signs posted to the effect before entering the tunnel, so don't worry too much.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
Markiemark32 wrote:
thirtydaZe wrote:

Markiemark

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
thirtydaZe wrote:

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
mikeflys,

I used to travel with the propane on. However, after I had one of the rubber hoses between the propane bottle and regulator split, allowing propane to spew out at a rate that was less than required to trip the protection device built into the tank, but high enough to dump quite a bit of propane, I stopped the practice. So far, our refrigerator seems to stay plenty cold while traveling. Just my experience, and as you are seeing many choose to leave it on.

Steve

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
Always travel with it on. Just make sure to shut it off when you refuel your rig.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Given the number of people (literally thousands) running down the roads with RV refrigerators running on propane, and the lack of accidents directly or indirectly attributable to the practice, I don't understand how anybody can say it is all that risky!
In all the various RVs I have owned over the years, I have always traveled with the propane ON and the frig operating. No incidents, accidents, or occurrences.
Here in the West I have never encountered a bridge or tunnel which required the propane to be turned off. I don't know if the Washington State Ferrys require the propane to be turned off or not, I don't take my RV on the ferry. Too expensive!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"