cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dually Alignment

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody - I've never owned a dually before and I want to get a wheel alignment done. Is the process the same as any other 4 wheel vehicle ? Do they align all 4 corners or do they align just the fronts ?

I have a 2013 F350 if it matters.

Thank You,

Tim
12 REPLIES 12

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was checked 4 1/2 years ago as part of new tire deal. No adjustment needed. Not checked since.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never had an alignment done in my life. I watch how the tires wear and if there is no problem why waste the money...Having worked with alignment techs in the past I've seen plenty of cars/trucks go out the door in worse shape that they came in. It's easy to skew the printout on an alignment rack to make it looks like it needs an alignment when it doesn't..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I had SRW aligned wherever I got a deal in the past. On my 2012 Dually I use the dealer. The price is about the same as other alignment shops and Ram sends out coupons every now and then which makes it less expensive. I think I paid 75 to 80 bucks last time.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
4 WD Ford Superduty trucks can be fully adjusted for toe, camber and caster. Camber and caster is adjusted by rotating or exchanging an eccentric bushing that locates the upper ball joint, so the camber and caster adjustment is very inter-related. One of the bigger problems with the Superduty solid axle is front wheel wobble. This is often caused by the rubber bushing in the chassis side track bar mount starting to soften, or by too little caster. Slight pull to one side or the other can be caster, and can also be tire wear or the so-called "radial tire pull", a tire just pulls one way or the other for no discernible reason. It's worth while just rotating your tires before you go for an alignment.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
In 2001 I bought a lifetime alignment contract at Firestone for my 2001 Silverado dually. I had it checked several times and then they got a new alignment rack that couldn't fit a dually. So they refunded my contract in full.
I never bothered with it again, as they =had never done any actual fixing. HD trucks seem to hold their alignment really well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Had mine done at Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville, Al.. They would only align it if I brought my 5er in with it so they could do a proper loaded alingment should it need any.
found my stablizer was bad causing the rig to shimmy at R/R crossings.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Had to take my truck k to Firestone as they were the only ones that had a rack big enough for my dually. All the mom and pop shops could not handle a dually.
The manager of the Firestone told me to bring the exact pin weight on the next alignment and they can align the truck better to towing the fiver.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
I found very few shops are capable of performing a dually alignment in my area. Duals require a wide rack designed for DRWs.
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
With a dually or not there is little you do with a live axle rear end. The thrust angles are usually not far off unless there are other underlying issues.

The front end wise, they will do a camber/caster sweep which will tell them if something is irregular, there is little you can do to adjust camber or caster without a busing meant for it. But they will check toe and ensure that your toe angle for each wheel, plus total toe are within spec.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I think all the will align is the toe in. All other conditions are pretty much non-adjustable. I guess they could bend an axle but I doubt if it needs it unless you have hit something pretty hard.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. You confirmed what I kind of wondered - there's nothing to align on the rears.

I did buy it new (May - 2013) but I now have 18,000 miles on it and it seems to want to pull off to the side a little. And my experience has been that vehicles don't come perfectly aligned from the factory.

Tim

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
A good place will check the rears but there isn't anything to adjust on the rear so unless they find a problem they don't do anything. Front is the usual caster, camber, toe, center the steering wheel. Why do you want an alignment on such a new vehicle?

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper