cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electrical trouble with Lance Lite 815

irishgurl
Explorer
Explorer
Very new owners of 2005 815. It is parked and plugged into our barn. Lights and outlets work but no AC or fridge. AC comes on but does not blow air even on fan. We are in the process of buying a truck (F250 ) to carry it. Should we just haul it to Camping world?
15 REPLIES 15

irishgurl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Thank you all. Just came in from spinning the fan by hand and it is all working. Fans blow, Air is cold. Should I spray some lube in there?

I'm very pleased with all your advice!!!

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
The refer will not make any noise. It does not use a compressor.

With power off remove the inside shroud from the AC. Turn the fan by hand several turns. Once in awhile they will stick and need a bit of encouragement to take off. After spinning turn it on again and see if it takes off.

Propane refers take 6-8 hours to cool.

X2, I had a 2005 Lance 835 and it would do the same thing. The blower fan gets stuck if it sits for a long period of time. If memory serves me you take the cover off on the inside and spin the fan by hand (unplug the unit first) and that should do it.
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The refer will not make any noise. It does not use a compressor.

With power off remove the inside shroud from the AC. Turn the fan by hand several turns. Once in awhile they will stick and need a bit of encouragement to take off. After spinning turn it on again and see if it takes off.

Propane refers take 6-8 hours to cool.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
irishgurl wrote:
The fridge is actually working, just very very quiet. The air conditioner sounds as though the compressor is coming on but no air is blowing out. The fan that I have plugged into an outlet seems to go slower when I put the AC on. Does it take a while? Shouldn't the fan option work?

I have checked all the fuses and all are OK. Even found the two 40 amp ones hidden under the obvious fuse/ circute box.

I really appreciate all of the responses. What a great group!!!

I had the same issue with my AC on a 2000 Class A. I swapped out the fan start/run capacitor and all is good. I would hear a hum from the compressor, but no fan. What I found when opening the cover to the capacitor's was a huge wasp nest, several dirt dauber's nests, and corroded contacts on the capacitors.

To do the above requires climbing on top and removing the AC shroud.

irishgurl
Explorer
Explorer
I think the thought that it may need 30 amps to start might be on the mark. I think I'll hand this off to DH when he gets home:)

irishgurl
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge is actually working, just very very quiet. The air conditioner sounds as though the compressor is coming on but no air is blowing out. The fan that I have plugged into an outlet seems to go slower when I put the AC on. Does it take a while? Shouldn't the fan option work?

I have checked all the fuses and all are OK. Even found the two 40 amp ones hidden under the obvious fuse/ circute box.

I really appreciate all of the responses. What a great group!!!

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's a mysterious electrical set up for the novice. Buy one of those round, compact, very low wattage 110v. night lights and test all the plugs. We leave one plugged in above the dinette and can see exactly when it's receiving alternating current or not. If you have a multi testor, test away. The fridge does take a long time to cool down and being an ammonia transfer refer makes almost no sound.
On average, it takes 24 hrs. on Alternating Current (not to be confused with Air Conditioning) to cool the box sufficiently.
I do have a querrie. Must you have a Camper Battery installed to complete both the 12v. and 110v. circuits?
We have a similar Lance and I didn't even know there was a fuse box or on-off switch since we've never had a problem.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes-if its not warm test the plug that refer is plugged into for AC110v. It also needs 12v to operate, lights on control panle? or interior light when door opened?

I also wasnt clear on the air conditioner. Is it possible to approach previous owner/dealer for walk thru? Even if informed items dont work would be step in solving less somthing simple like breaker etc.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can tell the fridge is working pretty quick by going outside to the access panel and feeling the exhaust stack. It will get warm pretty quickly.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t has a makes good points.

Do you have 110v power in the outlets? (test with a light or power tool).

Perhaps you could borrow a 30A generator and test your camper's air conditioning while plugged into the generator?
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Is your camper plugged into a 15A or 30A outlet? Depending on your A/C unit, it might want 30A to start.

The fridge will run on 15A but it can take a long while to cool down when plugged in. You might not hear it running while it does this. On electric, give it hours to cool down. On propane, ours seems to cool quicker.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Irish, your original post says "AC comes on but doesn't blow air". Can you be clearer on that? Are you saying the compressor is coming on but not the fan? Or are you indicating Alternating Current as opposed to Air Conditioner?

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Is there a 12 volt master switch that needs to be turned on? I assisted someone with a Lance Camper and it had a switch near/under a sink or some place as such inside.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

JaredWPhillips
Explorer
Explorer
Lights are 12V, so they will work if its plugged in or not. If you're sure the 120v outlets work but the a/c doesnt, start checking breakers.
MY RVing BLOG
  • 2002 Chevy Suburban Z71 5.3 V8

• 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 5.3 V8. GoodYear Wrangler Authority E-Rated tires, FireStone AirBags.

• TT: 2010 KZ Spree 240 BHS