Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine shut off, no warning

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
This isn't exactly a towing question but didn't know where else to go. The engine in my truck (2003 F150, 4.6) just shut off driving down the street.
No warning, no chug chug cough, it just shut off like throwing a switch. It felt like it might be electrical but all the dash icons came on and the radio was still playing.
But needless to say the power steering and brakes were gone so it was a little disconcerting. I got pulled over to the side of the road and it restarted with no problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Dozer
20 REPLIES 20

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
i would be checking ground circuits for the pcm.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Have the system scanned for codes

OP said restarted right away...so not a fuse, unless that is a self resetting fuse/circuit breaker/etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 take that fuwse out,clean it sometimes they get cruded start real simple before you throw money at it and if theres a code auto store will read them free.

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
MAP air sensor failure. Download detail code at the auto parts source; usually a free service. --

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I did a quick search and found several people talking about the PCM fuse blowing in '97-'03 F150's. The common causes seem to be fuel pump related, bad ignition coil(s), or wiring harnesses near the exhaust that melt and cause a short to ground.

I'd start first looking at the power distribution panel in the engine compartment and locate the PCM fuse (or fuses?). If there is a blown fuse then you can start tracking the problem from there.

As a side note, when electrically operated things just quit like this, fuses and shorted wires are the first place to look. A few years ago my buddy had to drive to Arizona to rescue another friend that was snow birding down there. The guys' 2002 F350 with 7.3L had just quit and the local dealership couldn't get it to run. New computer, wiring harness inspection.....on and on with over $1500 spent and no solution. My buddy gets the truck home and finds the PCM fuse blown. He replaces it, the truck starts then dies again...blown fuse again. A little more digging found the fuel heater circuit had shorted out (common on 7.3's) and was blowing the fuse. Just a little time of probing with a multi-meter and diagnosing the symptoms was all that was needed.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a computer problem. It will need to be put on the shop computer and they should be able to tell you what gremlins are lurking