cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever heard of this?

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
So my wife and I were looking for a new truck,which we were going to order, priced it out on Truecar, got 2 offers, went to the dealer and settled on the price, no problem there. We went on a Sunday, and they gave me a real lowball offer on my trade. They asked me to come back during the week, when another manager was there, and they could get more eyes on it.No problem. We went back yesterday, the GM took a quick walk around, never looked inside, and offered even less than they had on Sunday, explaining they didn't know what my truck would be worth when the new truck came in. I have ordered vehicles before, and there is a statement in the fine print that the trade is subject to re evaluation at delivery. That is fine. Never had a dealer knock down the trade in value. Seems this guy was skipping a step, speculating what he thought my truck would be worth at delivery, because they admitted they lose money on Truecar deals, and wanted to make up some money at my expense. My truck is low miles, interior is good, no stains, tears, smells, exterior in great shape, etc, and their offer was nowhere near what KBB, NADA stated. Needless to say, we left.
32 REPLIES 32

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why you should NEVER trade a vehicle in. They always darn near steal it from you. Sell it yourself for what it is actually worth, walk into the dealer with that cash as a down payment.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
CarMax has a very honest, no pressure vehicle appraisal department, and you can walk out with a check that day if you take them on their offer. We did it on a Honda Civic, and they offered 2.5x what the Ford dealer did, and was close to what we could have expected for a private party sale.

Had a similar experience with CarMax. It cost nothing to get their offer.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebster wrote:
So my wife and I were looking for a new truck,which we were going to order, priced it out on Truecar, got 2 offers, went to the dealer and settled on the price, no problem there. We went on a Sunday, and they gave me a real lowball offer on my trade. They asked me to come back during the week, when another manager was there, and they could get more eyes on it.No problem. We went back yesterday, the GM took a quick walk around, never looked inside, and offered even less than they had on Sunday, explaining they didn't know what my truck would be worth when the new truck came in. I have ordered vehicles before, and there is a statement in the fine print that the trade is subject to re evaluation at delivery. That is fine. Never had a dealer knock down the trade in value. Seems this guy was skipping a step, speculating what he thought my truck would be worth at delivery, because they admitted they lose money on Truecar deals, and wanted to make up some money at my expense. My truck is low miles, interior is good, no stains, tears, smells, exterior in great shape, etc, and their offer was nowhere near what KBB, NADA stated. Needless to say, we left.

I LOVE THE LINE "because they admitted they lose money on Truecar deals"
NO DEALER HAS EVER LOST MONEY ON A DEAL he was lying. Why would they sell a vehicle at a loss and you can get a better deal without true car if you SHOP
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
CarMax has a very honest, no pressure vehicle appraisal department, and you can walk out with a check that day if you take them on their offer. We did it on a Honda Civic, and they offered 2.5x what the Ford dealer did, and was close to what we could have expected for a private party sale.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bedlam
I'm another one that does not trade in vehicles. I will sell them on my own and either wait on the future purchase or have an additional vehicle until the old one sells. I brought my 5500 home after having it on order and just happened to sell my 250 the following day. The 250 was on the market for about 10 weeks and I planned to keep it until I got what I wanted.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try to sell it first before trading it in. Go to other dealers both new and used and see what they'll offer you for it. I had this issue once and a local Chevy dealer offered me more to buy my truck outright. I then took the money and closed the deal on another truck. It really takes a lot of leverage away from the dealer you're trying to get your new truck from.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, you never really know what the new one cost when you trade in.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
so the GM tells you they loose money on a deal .so from there its all lies,go some where else.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
That's better than giving you a fair quote now and doing an evaluation when the new truck comes in and dropping it to nothing. That would be a typical dealer move when he knows your new truck is sitting there and you want it. That new truck smell can make people do some crazy stuff.....
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
do a privet sale on your truck. order new truck. drive beater in the mean time. you will come out way ahead. if this is too much work take your knocks for the convenience of trading in. unless you can float both then buy new and privately sell old after delivery
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Happens all the time. Walk away - for now. I'll bet the dealer calls you in a day or two and offers at least something. Might not be what it originally was, but it will be something to work with.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonJim wrote:
Dealerships make money two ways. The first is on the selling price of a vehicle. The higher they can take you, the more profit for them. The second is on the trade in. The lower they offer, the more profit.

I'd suggest that if you're going to purchase using a fixed price system like TrueCar, you sell your previous vehicle via a private party. Once you have the cash in hand, then you can proceed with the purchase.

Whenever you're dealing with a car dealer, you have to be willing to walk away from the deal. Another tactic is to pit two or more dealers against each other.

X2 to being able to walk away!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My question would be, HOW LONG will it take to get the truck you order?

They're giving you a low price on your trade based on its probable value when the new truck arrives.

Maybe they know something they're not telling you?

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The deal is the deal, take it or leave it. If they can't make any money they don't stay in business.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
was the OP looking at KBB, etc., wholesale/trade in prices?
bumpy