cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive black smoke from diesels means ????

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I thought that heavy black smoke from diesels was from over fueling the pump?? but I am not real sure.I am looking at an 06 duramax crewcab with 300,000 miles, and it runs awesome and idles with out any haze, but when you get on it , it lays coal pretty good. Is this something I can deprogram ?? or is this a turbo thing?? I can get the truck for around 10 and it runs so great other than the black smoke when I get on her. Thanks for any insight!
40 REPLIES 40

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to find out bad because this truck is sweet in my book! It is the sought after year engine and wow does that truck go!! Idles all day like silk and zero haze !!! Just blows black smoke when moderate accelerate. Cold ac, smooth ride, tight front end, no leaks on ground, 4x4 works normal, so we shall see.

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be all of the above or could simply be a dirty MAF Sensor.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
You all might not believe me, but I have been driving a lot of high mile duramax trucks. Many have had 300,000 plus miles, and have ran as good as ones with 100,000 miles. I drive high mile gas engines and they still run great after having over 250,000 miles on the clock. The 06 crew cab is a little riddin hard , but its performance and ride is still a 9 out of 10 with 300,000 on her. Black smoke at heavy throttle is all I experience, and I figured its been overfueled. I will try and find out if its been programmed.

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer
My older truck smokes bad occasionally. I think its a wastegate problem, but I'm not sure yet.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
gmcsmoke wrote:
per cummings197882v that engine has exceeded it's lifespan by 150k; a cummings on the other hand is only getting broken in and probably pulls better than new and goes up the grapevine 80mph getting 30mpg towing 28k pounds.

What is a cummings?
Mine says CUMMINS

He was a poet born in 1894.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmcsmoke wrote:
per cummings197882v that engine has exceeded it's lifespan by 150k; a cummings on the other hand is only getting broken in and probably pulls better than new and goes up the grapevine 80mph getting 30mpg towing 28k pounds.

What is a cummings?
Mine says CUMMINS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
-g
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
excessive black smoke = not enough air. Check air filter, turbo may be worn out. Then look at injector(s)it may have one or more worn out/stuck, adding too much fuel.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the growing sentiment to take a pass on this one; you could be looking at thousands & thousands in repairs.

It'd be one thing if it was bone-stock and belonged to an old man who did tons of freeway driving & kept it pristine, but even then it could cost you.

I'd be more willing to buy a V10 or 8.1L with 300k; you could replace the entire engine for the same price as a fuel pump or injectors on the diesel.

Even then, you'd still have 300k on the trans, axles, front end components, etc.

300k is a lot on anything that isn't a class 8 truck. This may ruffle feathers but pickups, even 1-ton diesels, aren't truly designed to last like their commercial-grade big brothers.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
fatmanobx wrote:
injectors....

Injectors typically produce gray smoke, and will produce that smoke at all loads, and RPMs.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
Dirty fuel and/or filter all the way up to the injectors. If it were a Cummins I would say go for it; never have liked D-Maxes for longevity, unless you know and absolutely trust the seller (i.e. bought the truck new and has all service records). Otherwise, polite pass.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Think of it this way. If you put 50K miles on her and then try to sell it, Nobody will touch that truck with 350K on it. You won't be able to give it away. And that is if you can fix the smoking issue.

So you can spend an unknown amount to fix the smoke problem. But you are pi$$ing away your purchase price. And the repair price. That whole deal is a LOSER. You will get nothing back for your money.

And you haven't tried to haul anything heavy yet. You really haven't put the trans under stress yet. My bet is the trans is weak, too.

Spend more money for a less used truck. You'll be money ahead. And a whole lot less headaches.

I cannot help you with why the thing smokes. But that makes little difference. Other than to indicate there are unknown problems that are going to cost you more money in the future. It's Gods way of telling you to run away.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Ask yourself one question......Why is he selling the truck if it was such a good value :? Sorry, but there is something wrong, or this truck, which had to have been used in commercial service with that mileage, would NOT be for sale.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google: diesel blows black smoke
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman