cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

experience in replacing recliners?

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Went to the local RV show this weekend and both of us got in the mood (again) to replace the chairs in the back of our trailer. Currently have cloth swivel/rocking chairs, and would like to replace with rocking recliners, preferably a "wall hugger".

We can find replacement furniture easy enough, but DW is very tactical. She would never buy something like this without sitting in it and seeing how the colors match what we have.

I have contacted Lippert and Camping World and cannot find anyone that has this kind of thing in stock. They expect you to order it on-line and then I guess ship it back if not acceptable. Quite a bit of trouble and expense.

We actually took pictures of the under-chair labels on the chairs we liked at the RV show Saturday, but none of the numbers on the tags match up with what is being offered for sale.

I think you can find smaller house-type chairs that might go in the door at furniture stores. However, does anyone know of a way or place to actually see the RV-style chairs (like Lippert's Thomas Crown collection) and sit in it before buying?
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13
15 REPLIES 15

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steelflex also makes very good recliners, in an assortment of styles and any color you want. They come apart for easy moving.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We went with La-Z-Boy, their Pinnacle line. They are a bit smaller in scale to fit better, but still very comfortable.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Don't buy that Lippert junk. Just go to a quality furniture store in your town and look around. Most all recliner backs come off. They do that for shipping purposes. We have Best Furniture recliners in the 5er and Lazy Boy sofas in the house.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Mergs wrote:
is it hard to get a lazy boy through the small door of a motor home?

most La-z-boy recliners.. the back come off with 2 levers.. ask salesman to show you...

EASY..

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We went to a furniture store locally and sat in a lot of recliners. Found ones we liked that worked for both of us. I'm 5' and DH is 6'2". They are BEST brand recliners. Very similar to a LazyBoy, but the LB doesn't work for us. The BEST chairs do. They pulled out fabric swatches and I picked what I wanted. The chairs were delivered a few weeks later and we took out our one couch and put in the recliners. Just like the LB, the back pulls off so getting them in the motorhome was a piece of cake. Never regretted it. They are still servicing us well after 10 years.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The backs on La z boys usually come off so it should be no problem getting it in. Make sure they do on the piece you settle on though. We just went to a local furniture store near us and bought a love seat recliner to replace the original couch/bed that came in our unit. Big improvement in comfort level.

Mergs
Explorer
Explorer
is it hard to get a lazy boy through the small door of a motor home?

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
La-z-boy

La-z-boy
La-z-boy

La-z-boy

La-z-boy

last year.. replace couch with (2) La-z-boy's

1) Ladies rocker recliner
1) Men's recliner.

carried a cushion of couch into store.

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We put our Lazy Boy swivel rockers in our last 5ver and now use them in the house. They may return to our current one this summer. Much easier to use and more comfortable.

bstar1952 wrote:
Rocky2 wrote:
I decided to replace mine with Lazy Boy several years ago and have never regreted it. I opted for the rocker recliner with a swivel base. I secure it during travel backed up against the passenger chair in my class A.

Same here. No regrets at all.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
In our first fiver we took the couch out and added small LazyBoy recliners, worked great.

In the current one we replaced rocker recliners with straight recliners from Bradd and Hall. They have a showroom in Elkhart.

Good quality, Amish made, and have stood up well for quite some time, including a year full time and 4 -5 months a year for six years before that.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
No showroom clse by, but you might look

HERE
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
TundraTower wrote:

....but DW is very tactical. She would never buy something like this without sitting in it and seeing how the colors match what we have...

Smart woman. Putting the colour choice to the side, my first consideration is allllll about the specs and how they feel IRL.
Or as my grandmothers used to say: "Cute is for a short time. Smart is forever".

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where your are, try to find a Lazy-boy showroom nearby. (there is one in Huntsville). Go and take a look at what they have in the showroom. You might call them ahead of time if there is a particular style you are looking for, to find out what they have actually on the showroom floor. Might also send them copies of the pictures you have to see what they suggest. Most can be custom made to you exact requirements.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky2 wrote:
I decided to replace mine with Lazy Boy several years ago and have never regreted it. I opted for the rocker recliner with a swivel base. I secure it during travel backed up against the passenger chair in my class A.

Same here. No regrets at all.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch