cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 +Lance 650 Cruise America Purchase

ronfar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone - I am in the market for a Ford F-150 and a camper to fit it. Came across this combination for sale from Cruise America. Does anyone have experience or info on this setup? They are Asking $35,000. 2017 F-150 has 124,000 miles. Lance 650. Thanks.

***Link Removed***
19 REPLIES 19

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
What I would point is that those Cruise America campers come with no jacks.
As private owner you will need jacks and electric set will make nice dent in your budget.

I did not know that. A new set of RT were 2000 two years ago when I replaced mine. With the economy the way it is I'm sure it's higher now if available at all. That would definitely play a part in my decision to buy or not.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
What I would point is that those Cruise America campers come with no jacks.
As private owner you will need jacks and electric set will make nice dent in your budget.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd offer 20, You'd have some left overs for repairs and supplies. It is a very small light rig and you probably won't be able to tow anything. "I don't know if that's true" Just assuming. Upgrades like air bags, spring helpers, better shocks etc.. will add weight so be careful. It is a pretty camper and with that small rig you could go anywhere you wanted. You would likely be over weighted all the time but many of us have no problem with that and many do. Good luck with your decision and come back for help anytime if and when you get it.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I went to cruise america's website. They have 33 TC's for sale. They all seem to be the same and all have the same price. They are very small and are not for me at that price.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Never understood the "get a good mechanic to check it out" advice.

I don't know any good mechanics that would be willing to take time away from their shop to spend half a day road tripping to where this truck is to check it out. Any good mechanic is booked solid at their shop.

Then when they get there, what are they going to do, tear the entire truck apart? No, they are going to "visually" inspect. This looks okay. That looks okay. An expert can't tell anything by looking that a layperson wouldn't also be able to tell... Leaks, rotten hoses, belts, etc.. Just educate yourself on the basics and you can do as good a job "visually" as any "good mechanic."

Talk (advice) is cheap.
Where I live, lot of shops offer inspections, but they don't really disclosure what the inspection covers. Lot of them are "roadworthy inspections" what will inspect tires and brake + dripping leaks.
Brakes are cheap, when I can see tires easy with my own eyes.
IMHO if you can operate your android and have good glasses, you can do better inspection than most shops can offer.
-Plug the scanner and check for codes.
-lay down with good flashlight and check for leaks
-shake steering wheel, than push each corner to check for suspension play.
-take the vehicle for 0-60 acceleration test.
When there is never full guarantee the used vehicle will last, those few points will give you about 90% confidence that you are not buying lemon.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Same one from a year ago?
How on earth do you know this?
PS, someone brought this thread back from the dead. But itโ€™s still deadโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Cruise america is selling the camper only for 23K discounted 3k, so 20 grand and it is basic. If all you have is a tent , maybe.......Good luck with whatever you do.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Never understood the "get a good mechanic to check it out" advice.

I don't know any good mechanics that would be willing to take time away from their shop to spend half a day road tripping to where this truck is to check it out. Any good mechanic is booked solid at their shop.

Then when they get there, what are they going to do, tear the entire truck apart? No, they are going to "visually" inspect. This looks okay. That looks okay. An expert can't tell anything by looking that a layperson wouldn't also be able to tell... Leaks, rotten hoses, belts, etc.. Just educate yourself on the basics and you can do as good a job "visually" as any "good mechanic."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
If it has always had a camper on it, I would be nervous about the truck engine and transmission. It would have been in low gears a lot, might equate to. 200,000 miles on unloaded truck. I would get a good mechanic to check it out.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nope not a good deal for the used RENTAL setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
Interesting, the KBB for the F150 with standard equipment in very good condition is barely over 10K at the top range.

That sounds a bit closer to reality.. I'm guessing that the truck is plain jane. And it's been loaded it's entire life (a grocery getter that had to work).

It just didn't sound right. I picked up a '17 F250 loaded XLT 4x, straight and clean, for 22k last month. Had to look a bit, but I can't see an F150 being comparable.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Interesting, the KBB for the F150 with standard equipment in very good condition is barely over 10K at the top range.

The quotes are ZIP - depended, but that should not make huge difference.
For my ZIP it is coming to $12k trade value, or up to $17k market value for truck in good condition.
That is for basic 2WD Supercab.
1 for sale at local dealership is priced at $19k having 98k miles. link

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well doing a bit of looking it seems that the ,Truck a 2017 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab with the
5.0 Liter V8 Engine is about $24000 and the camper you can buy for About $11000 US

This may be what they are basing their value on.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member