cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-Series trucks # 1 for 40 years

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Am surprised that no-one posted anything about this yesterday that it was reported that Fords F-series have been the #1 selling truck for 40 years. Not being a smart alec just cuz I own a Ford, just saying what I read.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
52 REPLIES 52

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Best Never Rests... :B

In the truck capital "Texas" Ford trucks dominate in just about every industry that I see including the private sector. Forty years of leadership is very impressive and I'm still impressed with the reliability and durability of my Super Duty.

We Own Work
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
For our neighbors across the river, Ford F-series was the best-selling pickup in Canada for the 51st consecutive year.

1.95 million vehicles is not much compared to 17.5 for US.
Here's the breakdown of manufacturers with the Honda civic being the best selling car and the F-150 as the best selling vehicle.

Auto sales in Canada for 2016

Ford: 304,445
Fiat Chrysler: 277,445
General Motors: 267,341
Toyota: 217,792
Hyundai and Kia: 209,832
Honda: 186,676
Nissan: 134,153
Subaru: 50,190
Mercedes-Benz: 48,320
BMW: 44,621
Audi: 30,544
Mitsubishi: 22,293
Jaguar Land Rover:12,174
Porsche: 7,061
Volvo: 6,103
Maserati: 682
2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4X4 FX4 Lariat, 5.4L Triton V8, Precision 4.10LS
2004 Keystone Springdale 249BH 26' Fifth wheel (5800# empty)
Husky 16K dual pivot glider. TomTom One 3rd edition.
18 mpg empty, 11 mpg towing.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Am surprised that no-one posted anything about this yesterday that it was reported that Fords F-series have been the #1 selling truck for 40 years. Not being a smart alec just cuz I own a Ford, just saying what I read.

McDonalds has the #1 selling hamburger - doesn't make it better IMO than say Whataburger!
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunderbolt wrote:
Being number one in sales in no way says anything about the quality of the truck and only shows brand loyalty. I am not saying Ford is a better or worse truck than Chevy or Dodge, but sales numbers tell nothing.

Very good point. Its quite clear on these forums that there is blind brand loyalty amongst some truck buyers. Quality doesn't matter as much as simply buying the next model of "your brand".

I've owned a Ford F150 and loved it, Toyota Tundra and loved it and currently own a Cummins Ram and love. I'm not loyal to any particular make, just whatever meets my needs for the best price at the time of purchase.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a Chevy and have no issue with Ford. Being number one in sales in no way says anything about the quality of the truck and only shows brand loyalty. I am not saying Ford is a better or worse truck than Chevy or Dodge, but sales numbers tell nothing.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
The McDonalds hamburger comparison is mildly relevant because you are comparing trucks of equal price amongst Ford, GM and Ram. All 3 generally carry a similar price, just as McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's generally carry a same price.

At roughly the same price point, more people buy the Ford. That says something about Ford. I owned a 1995 F-150 and really loved that truck. I own a Ram now and love it too!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Unless GM's sales numbers are combined with Chevy's when comparing it doesn't mean much to me.

Ford still wins.
Ford for 2016....820,799

Chevy for 2016...574,876

GMC..............221,680

total........... 796,556...........for a minus of 24,243

Me I don't care. I'm old, and unless this truck goes up in smoke or worse. I have bought my last one., and in truth they all do a good job at what they are supposed to do.

BTW. I did not post the Ram because that wasn't ask. but it was between the Chevy, and GMC

Unless you are just considering full size you are forgetting the almost 150,000 Colorado and canyon.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
And in other news McDonalds sells the most burgers...
That's the way I see it.

Who cares? If a person really care, why? :R

To each their own. Purchase what you prefer. :@

By-the-way, I do own a Ford F150. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Terryallan wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Thomas/NH wrote:
Ford has been good for me... Back during the recession when the big three were looking for a bailout, I was impressed by Ford's position and decided to back them. I bought 5000 shares at $1.59 (against my broker's better judgment, "you're throwing your money away") now it's $13.17 (now back to investment grade and paying dividends again). I know I should be shrewd and divest, but with the new models coming out and the investment in electrics I'm going to let it ride.

I've alway owned Fords both personally and in my company, they've served me well.

You do know Ford ended up taking money from the government right? Originally they approached the government like all others asking for $9 Billion, but changed their mind when they got a slick idea. They instead borrowed almost $6 Billion from the Energy Department instead of going through TARP (The Bailout Program). They could then say that they didn't have to take bailout money. Ford Credit received almost $16 billion from the government. Ford's financial arm borrowed more than any other competitor. The fact is everybody got bailed out in one way or another.

A lot of difference between a LOAN, and a Bailout. they also took out the loan long before the bailout. I have a loan for my house. Trust me. It is NOT a bailout.

From Investopedia:

"What is a 'Bailout'

A bailout is a situation in which a business, an individual or a government offers money to a failing business to prevent the consequences that arise from the business's downfall. Bailouts can take the form of loans, bonds, stocks or cash. They may require reimbursement. Bailouts have traditionally occurred in industries or businesses that are perceived as no longer being viable or are sustaining huge losses."

It wasn't free money that the government was handing out. They wanted it back and still do. These were always meant to be loans. GM was paying something like 7 percent on their loan which they paid back in full.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Fordlover wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
Thomas/NH wrote:
Ford has been good for me... Back during the recession when the big three were looking for a bailout, I was impressed by Ford's position and decided to back them. I bought 5000 shares at $1.59 (against my broker's better judgment, "you're throwing your money away") now it's $13.17 (now back to investment grade and paying dividends again). I know I should be shrewd and divest, but with the new models coming out and the investment in electrics I'm going to let it ride.

I've alway owned Fords both personally and in my company, they've served me well.

You do know Ford ended up taking money from the government right? Originally they approached the government like all others asking for $9 Billion, but changed their mind when they got a slick idea. They instead borrowed almost $6 Billion from the Energy Department instead of going through TARP (The Bailout Program). They could then say that they didn't have to take bailout money. Ford Credit received almost $16 billion from the government. Ford's financial arm borrowed more than any other competitor. The fact is everybody got bailed out in one way or another.

You can split this any way you want, but the reality is a loan and a bailout aren't the same, even if they have similar effects.
Loan-noun. 1. A thing that is borrowed, especially a sum of money that is expected to be paid back with interest. (this is Ford's case)
Bailout-noun. 1. An act of giving financial assistance to a failing business or economy to save it from collapse. (GM/Chrysler)

I love when people try to make a bailout/bankruptcy that screwed over the bondholders of old GM equivalent to the government loan Ford took (loan, paid back with interest, meaning the Government is poised to make money), and bond holders aren't screwed over. It just makes that person look small and agenda driven.

There's a huge difference between giving and gifting. The money that given out was in the form of a loan. GM was paying 7 percent on the money that they borrowed.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
BB_TX wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
............ Ford Credit received almost $16 billion from the government. Ford's financial arm borrowed more than any other competitor. The fact is everybody got bailed out in one way or another.

The government put $49.5 billion into GM, and got $39 billion back. A $10.5 billion loss.

GM bailout

GM and Chrysler went thru government structured bankruptcies.

Ford borrowed $5.9 billion from the energy department and used it to upgrade its manufacturing plants and vehicles, not for a bailout. And they asked for a $9 billion credit line in case of further downturn. And why not use it if the money was available. Good business sense.

Ford loan details

Ford was for the GM/Chrysler bailout as a failure of one or both of GM/Chrysler would have negatively affected Ford's business.

I'm not sure what the quoted text has to do with the rest of the post, but the part in the quote was about Ford Credit. That's Ford's financing arm. GMAC took $13.9 Billion.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
ACZL wrote:

I see.

In Canada Ford used to sell both Ford and Mercury pickup tricks, till the 1968 model year. After that model year, Ford of Canada dropped the Mercury line and sold only Ford pickups at both Ford and Mercury lines.

Our family business had a '68 Mercury M250...300 inline six, 3 on the tree. Good work truck.

Chevrolet used to out sell Ford and Mercury, till Ford dropped the Mercury truck line...then Ford became # 1 in pickup truck sales in Canada

But if over the years, add up Chevy and GMC pickup truck numbers sold in Canada and the USA, a lot of times the 'General' sells the most pickup trucks.

As a result of all this history...I regard Ford pickup sales numbers in both the USA/Canada, in the same vein as a clever accountant works financial numbers.

Total pickup truck sales champion, a lot of times goes to GM, when you count all GMC and Chevrolet pickup truck numbers. But if you count just one badge...ie; Ford...then Ford wins the title.

So Less why don't you add them up for us?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
Fleet - Lease units do make the spreadsheets look good.

Yes, I own a past Fleet-Lease F 250 unit.

Ohio oil industry all Fords. Texas oil and electric all Fords.
F 150 to F 750... my opinion...

fyi this is my First Ford Truck. I was a car guy and not Ford.

In the real world where people actually own their trucks and use them hauling RV's and other transport trailers RAM Trucks dominate the field.

And fleet managers are tools? Not concerned with the total life costs of their vehicles to keep their jobs. It is often tossed out here on this forum about fleet sales like they are completely ignorant of these facts.

Are you saying what I said is not true? I did not dispute one bit the fleet sales numbers. But since it is brought up RAM is making BIG inroads with Ambulances, Wreckers and Security trucks.

No not directly at you. Just when people diminish fleet sales as not "real" working vehicles somehow. Fleet vehicles are purchased for the exact same reasons as your individual purchase example. Cost of acquisition, costs to operate, and costs of disposition.

And I have no comment on your stats as I have never actually read that data so will assume you are correct for this discussion.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:

Not a smart alec but just another pot stirrin' thread :R

Big Mac sells more burgers blah blah.... .

We need another forum for troll threads.....and SC as the mod.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
Fleet - Lease units do make the spreadsheets look good.

Yes, I own a past Fleet-Lease F 250 unit.

Ohio oil industry all Fords. Texas oil and electric all Fords.
F 150 to F 750... my opinion...

fyi this is my First Ford Truck. I was a car guy and not Ford.

In the real world where people actually own their trucks and use them hauling RV's and other transport trailers RAM Trucks dominate the field.

And fleet managers are tools? Not concerned with the total life costs of their vehicles to keep their jobs. It is often tossed out here on this forum about fleet sales like they are completely ignorant of these facts.

Are you saying what I said is not true? I did not dispute one bit the fleet sales numbers. But since it is brought up RAM is making BIG inroads with Ambulances, Wreckers and Security trucks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD