cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 3.5l w\EcoBoost, MaxTow package

RTB
Explorer
Explorer
You were all very helpful with my last question about towing with a Suburban. It sounds like I need a little more towing capacity, though nothing huge. I'm looking at the F150 3.5l w\EcoBoost and the MaxTow package. Does anyone out there have any experience with that truck and care to share insights? Thank you all for your comments.
46 REPLIES 46

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow_Grey wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Tystevens wrote:
I have heard of a few guys w/ over heating issues over on an F150 forum I frequent, but it does not seem to be widespread. The ones who complain (and I don't use that in a derogatory sense) about it say it happens on long slow climbs up dirt roads and so forth.

I have also heard some problems with the fan relay. Apparently there are 3 fan speeds, with a couple relays that make the highest speed kick in. A problem with the relay won't manifest itself until you really need the extra cooling. I know when my max fan kicks on, it sounds like an airplane taking off.

FWIW, I haven't had any overheating issues with mine.

You are correct, I remember the same fan issue cropping up on a few. I've never actually heard mine like you guys are describing while pulling. Mine is an early production 11'.

I will agree with you 93Cobra2771.

I have not had any over heating issues and have towed my 5er in some very hot weather and some long up hill passes over the past 4 years. I have only heard the fan cycle on/off while maneuvering my camper into a spot and even then it wasn't for very long.
What temp thermostat comes stock in these anyway? Maybe those that have problems need to check theirs and put a lower temp one in, make sure the fins are not bent over or check and flush/change the coolant system.

Well, from what I've read, there are 3 speeds. The one you hear that comes on maneuvering around or on a hot day in town is probably the second speed. I don't recall if there is a separate relay for the third high speed or exactly what, but I've only had that one come on while pulling on a hot day. Once that fan kicks in, the upward movement of the coolant temp pretty much stops, and comes back down pretty quickly.

FWIW, it is pretty much the same with my other trucks I've had. The high fan speed on my Duramax was enough to wake my wife up (which is sayin' something).
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Tystevens wrote:
I have heard of a few guys w/ over heating issues over on an F150 forum I frequent, but it does not seem to be widespread. The ones who complain (and I don't use that in a derogatory sense) about it say it happens on long slow climbs up dirt roads and so forth.

I have also heard some problems with the fan relay. Apparently there are 3 fan speeds, with a couple relays that make the highest speed kick in. A problem with the relay won't manifest itself until you really need the extra cooling. I know when my max fan kicks on, it sounds like an airplane taking off.

You are correct, I remember the same fan issue cropping up on a few. I've never actually heard mine like you guys are describing while pulling. Mine is an early production 11'.

I will agree with you 93Cobra2771.

I have not had any over heating issues and have towed my 5er in some very hot weather and some long up hill passes over the past 4 years. I have only heard the fan cycle on/off while maneuvering my camper into a spot and even then it wasn't for very long.
What temp thermostat comes stock in these anyway? Maybe those that have problems need to check theirs and put a lower temp one in, make sure the fins are not bent over or check and flush/change the coolant system.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Tystevens wrote:

Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer

2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Honestly, you are the first person I've heard with head gasket issues. I imagine the truck has overheated a time or two since you are replacing radiators?

The few failures I've heard of are usually windowed blocks where something let loose. And believe me, there are VERY few of them out there.

It has gotten hot a number of times. Fully overheated once, the radiator took a dump and dumped all coolant out. Went from below the half point to steaming in (not an exaggeration) the 5 seconds it took me to pull off the highway. It is very disappointing because it really does tow the trailer VERY well. I thought about just doing a new HD Payload/Max Tow F150 but Ford response with the cooling issues has been very very poor. They tried putting it on overloading the truck with the trailer (not knowing anything about my trailer - size/weight/age), I had to walk them through each and every rating and show them how I was below.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, you are the first person I've heard with head gasket issues. I imagine the truck has overheated a time or two since you are replacing radiators?

The few failures I've heard of are usually windowed blocks where something let loose. And believe me, there are VERY few of them out there.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 F150 SuperCrew with the Max Tow package. I have been through 2 radiators and it currently back in for head gasket. Once I get it back I'll be trading it in for a 3/4 ton. When it's towing my trailer it is great but with 28k miles I can't find a reason to keep it if I can't keep it on the road.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
We have 59K on the truck and over 10K pulling our 5er. No problems to report as it handles everything just fine, so far. Plenty of power and haven't had a problem stopping either. From Ozark Mtns to Adirondack Mtns to Smokey Mtns to Florida, hot sticky days and subfreezing days with no problems. If you want to go you just gotta feed the beast. We regularly get 10 MPG while towing between 60 and 62 MPH.

'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, I just hit the hyperdrive button and chased after the USS Enterprise. :B

Bigrick wrote:
Atlee wrote:

I've just finished about a 2000k mile trip towing. Went from Richmond, VA area to Blacksburg, VA, then across WV through Ohio to Michigan, back down to Columbus, OH, then to Richmond, VA and back to Blacksburg, VA.

I'm impressed that you drove 2,000,000 miles in your truck.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I've only used 87 octane.

I think the next time I pull from Richmond, VA area to Blacksburg, VA I may fill it with premium gas and see if I can tell any difference. I've driven that route a lot, know it very well, and have a good feel for what this truck as well as my previous truck did.

2112 wrote:
Atlee wrote:
...Filled with 87 octane pure gasoline, and driving the most gentle route home, sans trailer, I got 19.9 mpg.
Do you ever use anything higher than 87 octane? That's all I burn.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Bigrick
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

I've just finished about a 2000k mile trip towing. Went from Richmond, VA area to Blacksburg, VA, then across WV through Ohio to Michigan, back down to Columbus, OH, then to Richmond, VA and back to Blacksburg, VA.

I'm impressed that you drove 2,000,000 miles in your truck.
2007 Dutchmen 28F GS
2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD 5.7L V-8

Explorer II
Explorer II
EcoBullet wrote:
2112 wrote:

My first couple of trips I ran 91, or sometimes 89 if I couldn't stand the price difference. Then I decided to just see if I noticed a difference by using 87. I couldn't tell any difference in power or mileage. Now I just run 87.
That's my story as well. I didn't notice any difference either on performance or mileage.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:

My first couple of trips I ran 91, or sometimes 89 if I couldn't stand the price difference. Then I decided to just see if I noticed a difference by using 87. I couldn't tell any difference in power or mileage. Now I just run 87.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Atlee wrote:
...Filled with 87 octane pure gasoline, and driving the most gentle route home, sans trailer, I got 19.9 mpg.

I've recently been trying 91 Octane. Don't really notice any difference in power with the 7500# trailer, but I'm a conservative driver.

The MPG towing is about 8-9% better so far, but that can change as I accumulate more miles for the comparison. Will know more this winter once we get down to Florida.

Another supposed advantage of the "premium" fuels is the cleaning additives they claim to put in. But who really knows ...

I do use premium full synthetic oil, so thought I'd try the premium fuel route as well.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow