Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 5.0 vs Tundra

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning!

I have a Springdale 260TBL that checks in a 4890 Dry. We have been towing it with a crew cab GMC 1500 with the 5.3. The truck handles it fine but it is very under powered. The truck has 210,000 miles and its time to replace it.

We have 3 kids so I am totally digging the size of the cabs on both the F-150 and the Crew Max Tundra. We keeps vehicles for a long time. Honestly, I like the look of the F-150 and I know it has more features. I would only be interested in the 5.0 Motor with 3.73 rear end. I'm sure its much better on fuel as well.

I am attracted to the Tundra for its durability. I still see a ton of 2007 models on the road that aren't even rusty.

Is the reliability and resale worth more than the features and high tech design of the new F-150?
108 REPLIES 108

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost and it is amazing. I test drive the 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 speed and it was even better. I've driven the 5.0 v8 and thought it was a dog compared to the ecoboost. I traded in my old Chevy Trailblazer and that had a 5.3 which was fine above 3,000 rpm but the transmission didn't like to downshift enough.

The Chevy was a POS compared to my 2007 Honda Odyssey. Both vehicles got the same maintenance care and had almost the same amount of total miles. Yet the Chevy had 4 times the $$$ in repairs vs the Honda. I have zero brand loyalty so I hope I have better luck with this new ford than my recent Chevy.

Good luck with the new F150. Make sure to switch to sport mode once in a while -it will make you grin...
Jeep and Explorer

womps
Explorer
Explorer
I work part time for a company that has 80 1/2 tons in their fleet. Used to run Ford & GM. In 2011 started the gradual switch to Toyota Tundras. I talked to the man in charge last week about any differences. His comments were. Toyota burns more fuel, Toyota costs more to repair when repairs are needed. When you trade them in for a new one, which they do every 5 years, you get the extra money you spent on operating them back because of a higher resale value. He said the company finds no difference other than driver preferences in what is driven. These trucks never tow anything but they are used very hard.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Have had 2 Hondas ,not impressed 3 TOYOTAS ,great autos, now a Lexus impressed so far.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
My worst vehicle ever was the legendary reliable Honda Accord. By the 4th transmission in 60k miles, they stopped covering it and left me stranded with a piece of junk. I sold it honestly but took a 2k hit below market at the time. Go figure.

Sorry....off topic a little.

Ford and Toyota for us as odd as that combo sounds.

Same here. I still buy the "Toyota reliability" story. But my latest thinking is that it applies more to cars than to trucks. I've come around to thinking that Ford is right up there with them, and I'm hoping to find out for myself. (Been a F150 owner for about a month now.)

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Every manufacturer is going to have the occasional lemon, just some more than others.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
My worst vehicle ever was the legendary reliable Honda Accord. By the 4th transmission in 60k miles, they stopped covering it and left me stranded with a piece of junk. I sold it honestly but took a 2k hit below market at the time. Go figure.

My dad went through two Honda Accords and my mom one before they learned about the transmission and other problems with Honda. Ford and Toyota for us as odd as that combo sounds.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
You won't get many responses on here for the Tundra as there aren't nearly as many owners as the big 3. That being said, you also won't find many actual owners with bad things to say about their Tundra either.

You are correct that the Tundra is lacking a lot of the gadgets and gizmos the others offer but you won't find the reliability, resale value and customer satisfaction with them either. Which is worth more to you? And how many of those overpriced gadgets will you really use?

I traded my '07 Tundra crewmax limited for a '14 Ram 2500 Laramie with all the bells and whistles. I've been shopping for another Tundra ever since. The Tundra went into the shop twice in 5 years for unscheduled maintenance. Common AIP pump failure covered under warranty (newer models have been changed) and once for a belt failure (my own fault). I'm never comfortable driving the Ram as it's left me stranded so many times. Spends weeks at a time in the shop, including 4 transmission rebuilds. Most of the gadgets have failed at least once, brakes seized, countless electrical problems, chrome rusting, mirrors failed, seats fell apart (twice)........

Why do I still have the Ram? It's still under warranty and the trade in value is horrendous, last offer was $28k CDN (for a $79k 2 year old truck!) and I can't find a Tundra for a reasonable price. People just don't sell them and if they do they command big $$.

I had an 07 tundra with the 5.7, there isn't enough internet for me to list all the things I hated and went wrong on that truck! Sorry but Toyota isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and im a believer that the 3 domestic brands have more than caught up in quality.

Exactly, I had new Nissan Trucks and SUVs for years. I didn't know reliability until I bought my first new Ford (Sport Trac) back in 2008. It's been Fords ever since!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
You won't get many responses on here for the Tundra as there aren't nearly as many owners as the big 3. That being said, you also won't find many actual owners with bad things to say about their Tundra either.

You are correct that the Tundra is lacking a lot of the gadgets and gizmos the others offer but you won't find the reliability, resale value and customer satisfaction with them either. Which is worth more to you? And how many of those overpriced gadgets will you really use?

I traded my '07 Tundra crewmax limited for a '14 Ram 2500 Laramie with all the bells and whistles. I've been shopping for another Tundra ever since. The Tundra went into the shop twice in 5 years for unscheduled maintenance. Common AIP pump failure covered under warranty (newer models have been changed) and once for a belt failure (my own fault). I'm never comfortable driving the Ram as it's left me stranded so many times. Spends weeks at a time in the shop, including 4 transmission rebuilds. Most of the gadgets have failed at least once, brakes seized, countless electrical problems, chrome rusting, mirrors failed, seats fell apart (twice)........

Why do I still have the Ram? It's still under warranty and the trade in value is horrendous, last offer was $28k CDN (for a $79k 2 year old truck!) and I can't find a Tundra for a reasonable price. People just don't sell them and if they do they command big $$.

I had an 07 tundra with the 5.7, there isn't enough internet for me to list all the things I hated and went wrong on that truck! Sorry but Toyota isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread and im a believer that the 3 domestic brands have more than caught up in quality.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
blackgrizz550 wrote:
Mike Up wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what rear end did the 5.0L have, 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73?? I can't image the 5.0L feeling slow from 0 - 40mph unless it had the 3.31 differential.

Both trucks I drove had the 3.31 rear end. It had plenty of power. It just wasn't as responsive down low as the Eco or Tundra.

That was the problem, not apples to apples. The Tundra comes with a 4.3 ratio rear end in the Tow package. When averaging the first 3 gears of the transmission, with that 4.3 rear end, it equals a 3.55 rear end with the Ford transmission first 3 gears.

You needed to give the 5.0L an apples to apples test with the 3.55 gears, and most likely with the higher tow capacity 3.73 gears, it would had outperformed the Toyota. The F150 is hundreds of pounds less, and 4 hp stronger and only 14 ft-lbs shy of torque. With the 3.73 gears and it's lighter weight, by hundreds of pounds, your opinion would had likely changed.

From the Ecoboost side of things, 3.5L Ecoboost 1st generation owners at the F150 forums have stated that the 3.31 gears actually help get the boost in sooner, giving the engine more power. But with the new 2017 2nd Generation 3.5L Ecoboost, I can see it providing more power than any engine combination, when dyno's show a power increase that would mirror a 425 hp and 510 ft-lbs rating.

I think you would had been happy with either the 5.0L or 3.5L Ecoboost, if you would had configured the 5.0L with the correct 3.73 gear for heavy towing.

Both have great towing capability with the 16,200 lbs GCWR for the 5.0L Crew Cab, 5.5' bed, 4WD and 3.73 gears and Ecoboost 3.5L with Max Tow package and it's 16,900 GCWR on it's Crew Cab, 5.5' bed, 4WD and 3.55 gears.

I just towed my trailer for 3.5 hours through some real high winds and constantly get impressed with how good this engine combination tows so easily.

I'm sure the new 3.5L Ecoboost with it's added power does even greater. Maybe one day, I'll take one out just to compare it's performance advantages over the previous generation.

Enjoy the new truck, I know I get a smile when I accidentally squeal the tires from a down shift at 30 mph!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
It is hard to beat the reliability of the Toyotas. I think long term, the Toyota will give longer service without any issues than the Ford. I am talking about 200,000 plus miles over 15 plus years.

I had a 2007 Toyota Matrix. Lot's of issues...electronic. Got rid of it early. My experience, this Toyota invulnerability is a bit of a myth. I bought into it, until I had one as a vehicle. My experience, they're not any better or worse than other vehicle.

A buddy has a 2013 Ford F150, 5 liter V8, 4WD. Bought new and used a lot. No issues.

I'm not a Ford guy, and even though I think the F150 isn't a good looking truck, I must say it's a very good, reliable truck.

The Matrix was just a rebadged Pontiac Vibe with some styling differences and Toyota powertrain.

You've got it completely wrong and reversed.

The Pontiac Vibe was actually a rebadged Toyota Matrix. The Vibe was essentially a Toyota.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
It is hard to beat the reliability of the Toyotas. I think long term, the Toyota will give longer service without any issues than the Ford. I am talking about 200,000 plus miles over 15 plus years.

I had a 2007 Toyota Matrix. Lot's of issues...electronic. Got rid of it early. My experience, this Toyota invulnerability is a bit of a myth. I bought into it, until I had one as a vehicle. My experience, they're not any better or worse than other vehicle.

A buddy has a 2013 Ford F150, 5 liter V8, 4WD. Bought new and used a lot. No issues.

I'm not a Ford guy, and even though I think the F150 isn't a good looking truck, I must say it's a very good, reliable truck.

The Matrix was just a rebadged Pontiac Vibe with some styling differences and Toyota powertrain.

Wrong - The Pontiac Vibe was a Toyota Matrix with OnStar, and the rest was Toyota. It was the worst small car I have had for rattles and maintenance.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:

blackgrizz550
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what rear end did the 5.0L have, 3.31, 3.55, or 3.73?? I can't image the 5.0L feeling slow from 0 - 40mph unless it had the 3.31 differential.

Both trucks I drove had the 3.31 rear end. It had plenty of power. It just wasn't as responsive down low as the Eco or Tundra.