06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
54 REPLIES 54

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I still do not get it about "fixing" the calibration issue. The truck went all the way to the red line being pushed down hill. it seems at that point the driver should have done something other than just sit there and see what and if the motor would go past the red line.

As i interpreted the vid, the computer was programmed to prevent some driver like the one in the vid from abusing the motor. :h

If they did that, then it would no longer be the same test as all the rest of them are. They go down at 50MPH, when the truck exceeds 60MPH with engine braking alone, they apply brakes to slow back to 50MPH. The truck testing shows that it was holding 60MPH, though at redline, so they were not required to apply brakes until it exceeded 60MPH. It's how they do the test. Pretty sure once Ford fixes the calibration and they retest, then they will get a much fairer test to all the rest, and will find they have to apply braking a lot more due to its inability to hold 60MPH without hitting redline.

Since I have driven that same route with a 2014 F150 Lariat Screw with the 3.5EB and 3.15 gears and held the speed limit going up and down, there is no way I would want that Diesel, no matter how good the MPG is. The 2014 got 20 MPG in daily driving, in the less than 2 years I had it, there were over 30 tanks that were above 20, the towing sucked though with 7-9MPG and after over 4K of towing, the overall lifetime MPG was 17.6. I saw 18 in the winter and 20 in the summer except when towing and even hit 24 MPG once while driving miss daisy. With that kind of fuel economy, why would I ever want that diesel?

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Take it back to the Ford dealer, have them stiffen it up for the next ride.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
"an engineer with his forehead buried in his hands"

Mostly because the engineer probably told Marketing that they needed to do some things differently, and Marketing didn't listen. Then, the results of the test show up online, and he can't say "I told you so" without getting fired.

I don't know who has more say in the design of a vehicle - engineers or marketers. I think marketers.

LOL, Subaru has gone down this path. They were run by engineers and you could tow 2400 lbs with a Forester...including them being pre-wired, but they weren't selling any cars, so they put a marketing puke in charge and started selling cars but the engineering began a slow decline. I had an 04 Forester (Manual) that towed like a beast (18/1900 lb loaded pop up) including up and down the Ike gauntlet at 45 mph three times. I then bought an 07 (manual) and the marketing pukes got hold of it and played with it changing the torque power ratio so soccer moms could get on the highway faster but low end grunt was gone and the steering (less feel) and the suspension (softer springs wallowed). What had been a perfect tow beast in 04 became much less by 07. I had to work on on the 07 including putting "pinks" racing springs on it. It was a retired Subaru engineer who told me all this and recommended the pinks. Now a Forester will tow 1500 lbs... life moves on.

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the truck was a pre-production model and had some issues. Understandable. It's cool they can get a hold of a model even before production. I do agree that both the Ecodiesel and Ford diesel both need an exhaust brake of some kind. The Chevy Colorado can do it.

As for the performance, it's what I expected. These diesels are made for economy and occasional tow. For those that want and need this, they'll be very happy with it.

Every summer I see more and more Ecodiesel RAMs on the roads driving around, towing trailer and boats too so they're making someone happy.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is marketed for a non-HD towing crowd...that generally does NOT understand โ€œdieselโ€...the OEMโ€™s need to provide, as standard equipment, some sort of system, like exhaust braking, so that these wonโ€™t be returning with warranty issues...

Not well thought out, IMHO
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Dave H M wrote:
I still do not get it about "fixing" the calibration issue. The truck went all the way to the red line being pushed down hill. it seems at that point the driver should have done something other than just sit there and see what and if the motor would go past the red line.

As i interpreted the vid, the computer was programmed to prevent some driver like the one in the vid from abusing the motor. :h

It's typical for modern vehicle programming to prevent a driver from damaging the engine by overreving. For example, if you're driving down the freeway at 65 and try to manually downshift to first gear the computer won't let you do it. But what should have probably happened during the test is that the vehicle should have just upshifted rather than going into limp mode.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
It's a F-150 grocery getter with a diesel. If you expect it to pull and handle like a 1 ton, better think again.

I find those 'tests' border on comical.

Curious what makes it comical?

That the truck laid down?

Somehow it is not a fair test?

They drove the pickup up and down the hill like they have been doing with different trucks for years.

Exactly. For the most part this is an extremely fair test. They load the trucks to the rated weight capacity, properly set up the hitches, then push the truck to a certain performance level to gauge how well it does the job. That's pretty fair if you ask me.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
Not surprised at the results.

When I got my 5,600lb trailer and towed with my 2014 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel, I towed it up and down the same stretch of highway. It would not hold-back the trailer with the engine. Dealer said nothing was wrong with the Jeep. I had downshifted, braked, downshifted, braked, and it always up-shifted to protect the engine. No engine braking to speak of.

That's exactly correct. Diesels by their design DO NOT have compression braking from the engine.

My '14 RAM CTD has a factory exhaust brake. This thing is amazing and even pulling my 16,000 lbs 5th down a 10% grade it slowed me down almost too much.

In my opinion, if OEM's are going to put even small diesel engines in their trucks they should come with exhaust brakes if the trucks are intended to tow.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The truck will hold red line as long as possible then it will upshift to save the engine. Then as a human you should use the brakes!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Lynnmor wrote:
Travlingman wrote:
Posted on TFLTruck:

We heard back from Ford with an update to the issue we encountered. The truck you see here is a pre-production unit. Ford inspected the truck, identified the calibration issue, and said the calibration will be fixed when first production trucks start shipping to dealers within the next several weeks (end of May or in June 2018). When asked, Ford did not provide specifics of the calibration issue. However, the company said that all customer trucks will have this issue corrected.

Good to know that the downhill will be improved, now if they could only get it to go uphill better. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think for its intended use this truck goes uphill just fine. 20 years ago you would have been hard pressed to find any pickup, gas or diesel, that could do any better towing an almost 9000 lb high wall trailer up a 7% grade at over 9000 feet elevation. However, I do agree that if you have these kinds of towing needs, get a 250/2500 diesel.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
Posted on TFLTruck:

We heard back from Ford with an update to the issue we encountered. The truck you see here is a pre-production unit. Ford inspected the truck, identified the calibration issue, and said the calibration will be fixed when first production trucks start shipping to dealers within the next several weeks (end of May or in June 2018). When asked, Ford did not provide specifics of the calibration issue. However, the company said that all customer trucks will have this issue corrected.

Good to know that the downhill will be improved, now if they could only get it to go uphill better. ๐Ÿ™‚

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Posted on TFLTruck:

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
maybe somebody didn't read past "if you slap"
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-