cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

f150 xlt good or bad?

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
looking at a 2013 f150 ecoboost 50k to replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I pull a 2015 Viking fq, weight is around 3800 hitch weight is around 400. Jeep does very good pulling just want a little more power, will the ford do it? what should I look for as far as problems on this truck? thanks
Mel Scwhentner
Chrysler tech/shop foreman 40 years
A.S.E mastertech certfied 30+year
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ
13 REPLIES 13

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
chryslermastertec wrote:

my jeep does very well pulling the trailer justs seems to be a little underpowered. it will pull 65/70 on theinterstate with no problem just lacks the grunt when accelerating

The 3.5L Ecoboost will solve that.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

chryslermastert
Explorer
Explorer
it does have the factory brake controller the truck looks to be well manitianed
going to look at ittomorrow,thanks for all the input. my jeep does very well pulling the trailer justs seems to be a little underpowered. it will pull 65/70 on theinterstate with no problem just lacks the grunt when accelerating
Mel Scwhentner
Chrysler tech/shop foreman 40 years
A.S.E mastertech certfied 30+year
2012 Jeep wk
1965 Chrysler 300
1951 Desoto s15

1965 Chrysler 300 sport
1951 Desoto S15 custom
2015 Viking FQ

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Make certain it has the optional HD Trailer Tow Package. It includes a HD radiator and an auxiliary transmission cooler plus wiring for a brake controller.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think your trailer would be a good match for it, it'll do great! We pulled our much larger bumper pull toyhauler with our old 2013 EcoBoost and it had plenty of power to pull it. We had issues because of the weight, but your trailer is half of what ours was.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would think that combo would be fantastic!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
chryslermastertech wrote:
looking at a 2013 f150 ecoboost 50k to replace my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I pull a 2015 Viking fq, weight is around 3800 hitch weight is around 400. Jeep does very good pulling just want a little more power, will the ford do it? what should I look for as far as problems on this truck? thanks

The Ford will be a night and day difference from the Jeep. More power at lower RPM's, longer wheelbase, stiffer frame and higher payload.

Not too sure about problems, others will chime in. From speaking with Ecoboost owners, problems are few and far between.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F150 Eco CC 4x4 xlt with tow pkg, brake controller. Not a max tow or max payload. I think mine is rated at 9600 towing cap but you run out of payload long before you get there. Rv dealers will tell you it can tow anything ๐Ÿ™‚

Mine has 48,000 miles, over 12,000 towing. First a 21ft TT weighing in about 5200 lbs loaded. Now a 24' TT weighing in about 6200lbs loaded. It tows the 6200lbs great. Been to florida keys 3 times with it and just made a trip to NC mountains. When you want power it is there. We have a wd hitch and have no problems with sway.

I had a 2004 F150 4.6 v8 before. The Eco pulls way better although the 4.6 is not known for it's power lol. My GF and I wanted a little longer and heavier TT when we traded up in Dec but we are pretty much maxed out payload wise at 6200 loaded. That being said, it pulls the 6200 lbs as well as it did 5200lbs. You will be pleased with the power.

Only problem I have had with the truck is a battery failure under warranty and a couple of recalls, which were not problems but were fixed.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 EB has all the power I could use for the stock suspension. I put a pair of Timbrens on the back, made a difference when hauling heavy and doesn't affect the unloaded ride. Pulled my trailer up the 10700 foot pass in Colorado at the speed limit. It downshifted to 4th just before the top (I run it in 5th when towing, better power and fuel mileage than running 6th).

Trouble.... Yes, have had some. The 2011 models have issues with the timing chains and cam timers. Those went bad at 70K miles, and Ford wouldn't stand behind them. The fix would have been about $3000, but the dealer stepped up and put in some $$$ from a special customer retention fund Ford gives them, and did the rest at cost. My end cost was $900. Only effects the 2011 model year, so your 2013 shouldn't be affected.

Now have 99,750 miles on it. Only other problems were bad spark plug boots which allowed carbon traces down 2 spark plugs. Easy fix. And I ran cheap Sams Club gas in it for a LONG time and the direct injection allowed carbon buildup which resulted in sluggish turbo vane movement at higher RPM's (full throttle). Dealer wanted $3500 to replace one of the turbos. Ford doesn't allow dealers to clean turbos any more, replacement only. I fixed it by switching to CostCo gas, which is top tier and very high detergent, plus a couple of applications of Techron. After a month of that gas and treatment, and running the c**p out of it, the truck began running great. Runs sweet today.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Had an ecoboost for a while and it towed a 6000k trailer very very nicely. Lots of power, and at steady speeds, it turns about 1600 rpm, kind of like a diesel does. I was very pleased with it, but like another poster mentioned, I really don't think they have a beefy enough drivetrain (suspension) to handle a heavy trailer frequently. Sounds like your trailer would do very well.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most F150 Ecoboost owners are very happy with them, towing and not. If a problem does arise, a Fordmastertech is always close by. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think you will experience improved power/handling when towing, compared to the Jeep.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
check out our TT forum also for even more input from actual F150 3.5 EB owners pulling trailers of all sizes.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
chryslermastertech wrote:

Loved my 2011 3.5L Ecoboost.

Zero problems, but was pulling over 8000# and overloaded the rear axle and hitch receiver. So went bigger when the drive train warranty expired.

At 50K miles, I wouldn't expect any problems as long as the truck has been well maintained.

And yes the tow package with integrated brake controller is worth it.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2010 Ford F150 SuperCrew with an 8 cylinder so I can't speak to the Ecoboost aspect of your question but I can let you know about the electronic sway control. Let me tell you... on the day that it kicked in when I was going over a mountain (New Mexico, I think) pass, my 30' Keystone Cougar caught a crosswind, whipped to the right, the truck braked and steered and it was all over before I even had a chance to figure out what happened. It all happened in a second. Yes, I had sway control on the Equalizer hitch, too, but, apparently, the event exceeded what the hitch could handle and the truck fixed it.

By the way, I had the tow package with the integrated brake controller. Not sure if you get that function without the tow package.