cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Few short TTs at RV show.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went to an RV show yesterday and I was surprised that there were very few TTs less than 30 ft. I would say the average was 32 to 34 ft.

There were of coarse a few of the 25 ft. models and also some of the 18 ft. and smaller including the retros but the bulk were 29 ft. or more, island kitchens bunk beds and multiple slides.

I think this indicates the current demographics being younger couples, with kids and the ability to play indoors if necessary. in some cases each bunk had a USB charger built into the wall.

As an oldster I am glad to see young families out of doors. While they may not "camp" the way I do, anytime you can foster a sense of the importance about nature, that is a good thing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
16 REPLIES 16

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If your trailer is so small that you have to go outside to change your mind, it's too small."

After twelve years of camping (for 60 to 90 nights a year), we are still very happy in a trailer with a box 139 inches long (less than 12 feet!).

The trick is that DW is very small, very agile, and very easy to get along with. ๐Ÿ˜‰

All kidding aside, we are not looking forward to the time when we have to shop for a new trailer -- there is almost nothing on the market that is as small as we would like. We do a lot of off-pavement boondocking, and a little trailer can fit into the darndest places.

Oh, well. Maybe I will just cut one of those big ones in half??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers want to show off their biggest and best units at these shows. Bang for their floor space buck. These units represent their biggest profit margins also. They know that if you want something smaller that you will come to the dealership to see whats on the lot.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
When we used to did go to RV shows, we found that 90% of the units were either too big or way out of our price range. We wanted to see 20' to 27' units that we could actually tow and afford. Back in the '90's it seems that there were more smaller ones and we did buy a couple (not at the same time) of TT's off the floor. Waaay too many Class A's, I think A's should have their own show, they take up too much room and many won't let you inside unless you have the "look" of being rich.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Bigger is easier to show and more profitable.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
So much depends on where and how you camp. I have no problem winding through city streets to find a quilt or gun shop. I have towed my 25 ft. TT through mountains and deserts it is the perfect size for the two of use.

Fortunately, our grand kids are grown and prefer to sleep in tents outside rather than with those old people who snore. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

If I had kids I believe I would look at something longer rather than bunks in a 25 footer. But when I was younger, it was canoe and tent wilderness camping for the family.

I cannot say I have ever personally camped in a spot that did not allow large units. I have however camped in spots the should not have allowed large units. Sardines had more room than some of the camp sights we used out West.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand about large and small. I also want as small as I can get, yet still have enough room in it for DW and I to get around in, without getting in each other's way.

For us, we hit a happy medium this time. We sold our Skyline Koala 21CS (24' bumper to hitch) and bought a new Jayco Jay Flight 23RB (27' bumper to hitch). The 23RB fits our needs.

The 21CS only had one place to sit, a jack knife sofa on a shallow slide. It was directly opposite the galley. We kept getting in the way of each other.

The 23RB which does not have a slide, gives us a large wardrobe in the bathroom which will be needed when we go cross country again. it has a jack knife sofa past the end of the galley, and it has a dinette which is opposite the galley. We now have plenty of space for the two of us.

And it's not too long for most national parks, etc.

Any RV is a compromise. Each person must get the RV which ticks off the most "must haves" without having any "deal killers". Any person must take stock of how they will use the RV. Also, they must determine exactly what their current TV will actually safely tow.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV shows aren't there to show you EVERYTHING... they are there to show you what the dealers want to sell. I've noticed that depending upon what show you attend, they have different selections of RV's. We go to Hershey every year and they have a wide selection of a lot of things. Tiny trailers and truck campers up to half million dollar class A rigs. I go to the Dulles, VA show from time to time and they don't really show too many smaller trailers.

Each show markets to a different crowd. Personally I love all the huge trailers, because I see more and more smaller and older campgrounds having vacancies as a result! Our first trailer was a 22' non slide Nash. I could put that trailer on literally any camp spot... even a tent spot if needed. Now we have a camping friend who has a 44' quad slide 5th wheel... he can only go to limited campgrounds with that behemoth!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
We went to an RV show yesterday and I was surprised that there were very few TTs less than 30 ft. I would say the average was 32 to 34 ft.

A typical RV show. That floor space is not cheap, and it's a huge amount of work for dealers to transport all those units there, set them up, then break them all back down and haul them out at the end of the show.

They make a higher profit percentage on the larger rigs, and since they lease the show space by the sq ft taking larger rigs means less unit to transport, less work, and more profits.

BTW, you're the one paying for that floor space when you buy at an RV show. Its buried in the "special show price".
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
The price difference between a 26 foot TT and a 34 foot TT is almost a wash....so many buyers go for the biggest one they can afford. Then they join RV.net to ask how their Dakota will tow it, and why is it so hard to back into their driveway....and should they be able to fit at national parks! You all get the idea.

Good grief, don't say that too loudly or you'll be accused of being a member of the "weight police"! :E

What sells is also influenced by regional preferences and economics ... here in Canada smaller trailers like mine are top sellers these days, no doubt due to the fact that almost all our RVs are manufactured in the US and our Cdn$ is on the negative side of the exchange rate relative to the US$. Everything costs more here - vehicles, gas, campsite fees, you name it, and it all plays into a distinct preference here for smaller trailers that are more affordable than 30'+ models. Sure, big rigs still do sell but not nearly to the degree they do in the US where bigger is always considered "better". Not always. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
The price difference between a 26 foot TT and a 34 foot TT is almost a wash....so many buyers go for the biggest one they can afford. Then they join RV.net to ask how their Dakota will tow it, and why is it so hard to back into their driveway....and should they be able to fit at national parks! You all get the idea. Im sure dealers bring what sells so they are just reacting to market trends.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
I agree. The big push from dealers is towards BIG. Very annoying not to have more selection of small trailers.

I went to the local show last year. Mostly HUGE 5ers and very large Class A.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
SugarHillCTD wrote:
As we think about retirement in a few years we have been starting a search for something just a bit longer than our current RV, a truck camper.

Our TC has a 60x80 bed and a 4 person dinette. All we want is the addition of a couch in a TT or a 5th.

We really value a compact RV (coming from a TC) so we don't want a 38' monster. Not easy to find at all.

I agree. The big push from dealers is towards BIG. Very annoying not to have more selection of small trailers.

And of course you can tow them with a 1/2 ton.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
As we think about retirement in a few years we have been starting a search for something just a bit longer than our current RV, a truck camper.

Our TC has a 60x80 bed and a 4 person dinette. All we want is the addition of a couch in a TT or a 5th.

We really value a compact RV (coming from a TC) so we don't want a 38' monster. Not easy to find at all.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
America, where bigger is always better and tow vehicles are getting lighter and shorter...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB