cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

*FINAL UPDATE* Stuck in Newton NJ with a blown transmission

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of you old timers on the forum may recall that I lost reverse on the 4L80E transmission almost 3 years ago, Sept of 2013, backing the TT into a campsite. Being stuck in rural KY and with no transmission rebuilder anyone would recommend, I went with a Jasper reman unit with 36 month 100k warranty.

Fast forward to today, coming back from PA and climbing the grades in NJ on eastbound I-80 coming out of the Delaware water gap. I kicked it down into 3rd and about halfway up one grade the tach jumped up from 3k to 4500 and we started losing speed. Coasted over to the shoulder and that was where we stayed. No loud noise, no loss of fluid at all, just no forward motion.

After 40 mins on hold with Good Sam, they said they would call me back. I decided on a whim to shift into L1 and lo and behold we had movement. L2 and still moving. So I eased back into the right lane with the flashers on and was able to hold 40 mph in 2nd gear until the next exit. At the exit we see a sign for a CG and decide to go for it. Made it about 1 mi from the CG and one hill on the country road we were on wiped out what was left of the tranny.

Good Sam finally called and they came with a flatbed for the Suburban and a pickup to tow the trailer and took both to Great Divide CG in Newton, NJ.

I know a few folks said Jasper was junk when I put this unit in 3 yrs ago, and now it's toast with less than 30k miles on it. I did the required fluid/filter change at 5k miles, have been running Dex IV synthetic, and the trans never ever got hotter than 200*. Hopefully Jasper will stand behind their warranty since there are 4 months left and put a new unit in.

I need to get on this ASAP tomorrow morning, if anyone knows a good shop that's a Jasper dealer, lemme know. Fortunately DD and her fiance live over in Parsippany and they were able to come and get us. Now to get the truck fixed.
49 REPLIES 49

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
FordLover, it was Sept 2013 when I lost reverse, so just inside the 3 yr warranty. Word from the shop is that Jasper is covering, the only variable is how fast they can get a new unit to the shop for install. Temps never went above 200* under any conditions the whole time I had this unit.

Stay tuned for more details.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
camping man wrote:
The 4l80's have several weak links that need to be addressed . Boost valve, pressure overrun issues, main bolts that hold the courier assemblies in place. Those are just the ones I can remember , since I haven't rebuilt one in a few years now. Think transgo has the rebuild kit to fix those issues.

These are just some of the things boy racer firms offering 4L80E/4L85E
rated 1K ft/lbs or more address, but they are costly. From $4K to +$8K

Those boy racer forms dumped Jasper about 12 years ago and many said
sold, but never searched that. They were one of the standards for years though

Heat is the main enemy for any hydraulic coupled transmission, IMHO

Why always advise to keep the ATF temp as low as possible in it's spec
range, but am in the vast minority on that.

Especially going slow, like getting into a camping spot. Why having
4x4 and compound low is so helpful, but today's 4x4's can't have the
front diff disconnected in stock form. I do put it into 4x4 low, even
on pavement, as just a short distance and the scrubbing okay...hopefully...

Marty's thought of a new close ratio tranny with the double OD is a
consideration, but lots of work to get that working

Back to Burbman...hope Jasper comes through for you.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when you lost reverse, it doesn't seem like that long ago to me. Hope it works out and Jasper does you right.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
The 4l80's have several weak links that need to be addressed . Boost valve, pressure overrun issues, main bolts that hold the courier assemblies in place. Those are just the ones I can remember , since I haven't rebuilt one in a few years now. Think transgo has the rebuild kit to fix those issues.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jeez, that's terrible. Hope everything works out for you. I guess we should count our blessings that we have never had a mechanical issue whilst towing thus far...

Keep us posted!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with the truck, safe flight, and keep us updated
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Called Jasper and opened a warranty clsim, having the truck towed from the CG where Good Sam dropped it to D&E Service in Andover NJ. Will see what's next. As for me, I am on a flight to Omaha for meetings this week.

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
PERAGINO AUTOMOTIVE

BOX 401 STATE HWY 94

NEWTON, NJ 07860
973-383-4111
Approximately 1.3 miles from 07860
Get directions

D & E SERVICE CENTER

726 US HIGHWAY 206

ANDOVER, NJ 07821
973-786-5887
Approximately 5.7 miles from 07821
Get directions

HAYDENS GARAGE

28 DEMAREST RD

SPARTA, NJ 07871
973-729-3938
Approximately 7.1 miles from 07871

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. That's one of my biggest fears when towing with my rig. Not only does it take your tow vehicle out of commission for a long time, it's expensive and never happens at a good place.

I wish you good luck in resolving this and hope the rest of your trip goes a lot better.

blt2ski
BurbMan wrote:
Marty a 6L90 would be nice for sure, but I don't think the electronics are compatible...I'm sure it could be done with a custom tune tho....hmmmmmmmm:h:h:h

There fixed it for you! might be worth asking about if you have to come up with any money.

I was about to put a BUILT 700R4 behind some of my th400's in the past, but got rid of both. That trans of all things is the ONLY auto I have had go over 150K miles! That was in an Astro van. It has better/lower first gear ratio vs the th400/4L80 that you have. This is why you could be killing the trans as it did me. Not low enough of a ratio. I have heard of putting the 1st and 2nd gear from a 4l60/700r4 into the th400/4L80 body also with good results. This is an off roaders trick to getting better low speed control.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Burb man, if you had made it another 30 miles on route 80 east into my neighborhood, I would have brought you to Mikes Transmission in Wallington,nj. They were recommended to me by Jasper when I thought I had a problem with my reman trans. I was so impressed that we now use them for some of our non-trans work as well.
And if you need any other help, I'm right off exit 62. Good luck
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like D&E Service in Andover and Hayden's in Sparta are the 2 closest Jasper dealers, any info on either of these guys?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marty a 6L90 would be nice for sure, but I don't think the electronics are compatible...I'm sure it could be done with a custom tune tho....

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
1-800-827-7455 is Jasper. They will need your number on your warranty book, that number is also on the trans itself usually on the bell housing drivers side. A blue label maybe 1x3 inches if I remember right. I would be very surprised if they didn't take care of it quickly. Been dealing with them for years.
Puma 30RKSS

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the owners of the campground. They are good people from what I know. They may be able to offer a recommendation. Unless under warranty that is.

If your warranty is done with Jasper I'd personally think about finding a Chevy dealer and getting a factory reman installed.

Good luck.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch