cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally......a good way to carry extra gas (mod)!

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a simple modification (addition), but one that solves a huge problem.

I recently bought an Arctic Fox 811 and opted to order it with the generator compartment, but without the generator. My reasons were cost, noise, and the fact that I really like my Yamaha 2000w generator. I knew this would be a great place to transport the Yamaha, but like many of us truck camper owners struggled to figure a good way to carry extra gas.

Tonight I installed a 3 gallon RotoPax can and locking mount. I wasn’t crazy about drilling into the side of my new camper so I opted to mount to the rear access door. I figured if I make a mistake mounting it would be far less toutble than making a mistake drilling into the main siding. Also, the location worked well with being out of the way from the ladder, steps, propane bbq, etc.

Here are some pictures. Note, I reinforced the inside of the door with sheet metal. Handling the weight seems like it won’t be an issue.

Derek
Wife & 2 boys
2017 Dodge 3500 SRW Quad Cab SB diesel
Hellwig sway bar, Firestone Airbags, Stableloafs, Vision 19.5 wheels w/ Toyo M920’s.
2019 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift holding everything down.
2010 20’ Willie Predator w/ 200 hp jet
1979 Honda Trail 90
62 REPLIES 62

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, nice clean looking install. And rotopax tanks are sweet, albeit a bit spendy.
For the doom n gloom naysayers, I haven't heard any verifiable horror stories to go with the ascertations nor any verifiable "bomb proof" ideas.
Except for "mount between the front of camper and the cab." Lol. One quick stop and the camper will pop a gas can like a zit locate there. Next caller....
Just like most scenarios on here, folks somehow aren't able to look outside their own little box. Like in this case. On any given Monday morning commute, there are probably millions of vehicles with secondary gas cans somewhere in the vehicle or truck bed. Haven't seen those 50 sticks of dynamite explosions ever on the evening news. (That's 5 gal of gas according to someone).
I suppose the naysayers don't have lawn and garden equipment that requires them to carry a can of gas home from the gas station? What container do you use and how do you secure it to be unable to crack, squish, explode, get thrown from the vehicle, etc in a major collision? I'd like to pick apart your fuel transport methods... Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that the location of that tank is higher than most rear end collisions with modern vehicles. It is not going to blow up like ten sticks of dynamite. If a gallon of gas was turned to a vapor at just the right mixture, then maybe. It certainly could cause a fire, if impacted and then a source of ignition was there. There is risk in lots of things we do, Like walking across the street or driving a RV.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I understand the need to carry gas however the "explosive force" of 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 10 sticks of dynamite.
Would you travel with 10 stick of dynamite strapped to your rear bumper?

I also believe there has to be a better location/solution than on the rear in the crash zone. It doesn't take much imagination to see the potential for a problem.
Is there room between the rear of the cab and the truck camper?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
AISURFFISH wrote:
ScottG wrote:
You did a nice job on it but I don't think that very back of any vehicle is a safe place for a gas can.

JMHO, best of luck to you.

Scott

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle?

That's not a very good place for a gas can either....

But has been that way forever..

JMHO...

Seriously? MC is a totally differnt situation and when your in a wreck, you're generally thrown from the bike. It's also rare that a MC tank is crushed to the point it bursts like that can on the back of your truck will.

Some of the responses are sad. And why cant someone make a point without getting snarky or nasty?
Then there's the person who suggests that if someone bumps into the back of you, they deserve what they get.
The military? Why would it be a good idea just because they did it?

If you think it's safe, why not mount it on the FRONT of your vehicle so you're the one that takes the bath?

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I like it but I would lower it so the weight of gas tank is on the bumper. Possible just a small inch thick rubber spacer that could be removed when opening the door. On second thought you could just get a spacer that will work with your present setup.

JMHO.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You did a nice job on it but I don't think that very back of any vehicle is a safe place for a gas can.

Scott

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle?

That's not a very good place for a gas can either....

But has been that way forever..

JMHO...
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
RotoPax makes a nice heavy duty bracket that mounts right onto the AF bumper. That’s how I carry my RotoPax.
https://rotopax.com/var/images/product/500.500/image_67.png

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JimK-NY wrote:
SoonDockin wrote:
Carrying gas is always fine until it’s not. That seems like a good solution. Can those small generators be converted to propane?

Propane takes up way more volume for the same amount of energy, is way more expensive and is often difficult to find in remote camping locations. In terms of safety, a liquid can be contained easier than liquid and pressurized gas.

Most RV's are already carrying propane. I assume TC's are carrying LP as well? It's not a choice of LP or gas but its a choice of carrying lp AND gas.
LP is way more available than it used to be, but I agree it is not as available as gas.
In the end the reason to consider lp is to avoid transporting a 2nd fuel in a portable container.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good way to carry it. I like it. I don’t know how long that style of gas can has been around, but I don’t remember seeing anything like it when I was looking for options 20 years ago. I might have used it myself. As it turned out, I started looking through all my salvaged and saved junk, and came up with this. The Jerry cans and the black holder frame were purchased, everything else was repurposed junk. You can’t see it in this picture, but the 20L can is mounted to a fold-down spare tire mount. I didn’t think the fold-down feature would be useful until I tore up my shoulders. Sure makes it easier to get a full can out of the holder. :B

I always have two NATO Jerry cans on the bumper of my TC. The 20L can is for Diesel, and the 5L can is for generator gasoline. I use both cans frequently.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoonDockin wrote:
Carrying gas is always fine until it’s not. That seems like a good solution. Can those small generators be converted to propane?

Propane takes up way more volume for the same amount of energy, is way more expensive and is often difficult to find in remote camping locations. In terms of safety, a liquid can be contained easier than liquid and pressurized gas.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent job. :C
My immediate thought was the weight on the hinges. It appears you mounted the tank as close as possible to the hinge side of the door, that should take some of the stress off the hinges as you bounce down the road.
I'm guessing you won't have any problems.
Thanks for posting.

threeaces
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Let us know how the lock and hinges will hold the weight?

Yes, this is my main concern. I’ve put quite a bit of pressure pulling out and pulling down.......all seems very solid. However, I will keep a close eye on it and definitely report back.
Derek
Wife & 2 boys
2017 Dodge 3500 SRW Quad Cab SB diesel
Hellwig sway bar, Firestone Airbags, Stableloafs, Vision 19.5 wheels w/ Toyo M920’s.
2019 Arctic Fox 811, Torklift holding everything down.
2010 20’ Willie Predator w/ 200 hp jet
1979 Honda Trail 90

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

Scott

Tell the US Army that.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how the lock and hinges will hold the weight?