cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally upgraded the truck.

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I finally pulled the trigger on a new TV a few weeks ago after ten years of pulling our TT with a 1/2 ton. Stepped up from a 2003 Silverado 1500 extended cab regular box to a 2016 2500HD Diesel crew cab regular box. Wow, what a difference! Pulled the TT for the first time with it this last weekend over Snoqualmie Pass. Nice to be able to do the speed limit up the pass and have power to spare. The truck is amazing. It's definitely bulkier than my 1/2 ton, which makes driving the 1/2 ton now feel like a small sports car, but I love how the new rig handled with the TT attached. Didn't feel like I was getting held back or pushed around at all. Traveled about 180 miles round trip and averaged about 11.5 mpg, which I think is fair due to hitting the Pass twice and sitting in some return weekend traffic. That same trip was about 9.5 mpg in the 1/2 ton.
Our TT tops out around 6k loaded. For any of you considering an upgrade, I will say that I'm not disappointed in performance. The price tag and added bulkiness are my only complaints, but I did my research and knew what I was getting when I bought it. I don't think I'll regret it.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH
14 REPLIES 14

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, nothing like bringing home new iron.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck! I've owned six diesels. Every male human should own at least one.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
It is cool. I've heard from other folks that towing between the two is night and day....and they were right! Before, the thought of a long trip (anything over a couple hours) made me uncomfortable. I knew the 1/2 ton could do it, but always cringed about driving that long pulling the trailer. Now, that doesn't phase me at all.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
HuckleberryHunter wrote:
regular box

Length of the box (bed)? I assume it's 6.5', but GM doesn't call it a "regular" box

GM changed the nomenclature / definition of truck beds.

Standard bed is now what used to be called short bed (6.5')
Long bed = 8'

Short bed is their new term for the shorty short bed - 5' something (only on half tons)
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ain't it cool!!!
I tow a lot of stuff with gassers, half ton to 1 ton. Bigger the chassis helps with stability and yea a gas job will get you where you're going with a decent size trailer in tow, but IMO nothing like rollin in top gear with __________on or behind the truck (pretty much take your pick cause it don't matter)!
If one has the means, I highly reccomend it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
9 times out of 10 going from a 1500 to a 2500 or larger truck is a real eye-opener. You thought what you had was just fine because you have nothing else to base your opinion on. Then you get the bigger truck and realize just how sluggish your performance was, how much you were being pushed around, how fatigued you really were after a few hours on the road.

A 6000lb travel trailer is well within the capabilities of most any 1500 truck on the road, but more capacity makes it just that much nicer.

Of course now you'll be itching to upgrade the travel trailer to something bigger and better appointed in the next year or so...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
That should be like night and day.
Upgrading 13 model years and 1 or 2 weight classes - there is no comparison.

Congrats.

The crew cab with standard box is my favorite combo.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the diesel world. Another benny you both will like, "diesel fumes make you horny". Sadly though, todays diesels don't emit fumes that smell like burnt diesel. Oh well. Enjoy!!!!!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
And that was only Snoqualmie Pass which is no big deal,My 2007 LBZ with my 15K 5th Yawns at that, wait till you try like the Utah or Colorado Passes THEN that will put a smile on your Face having that 2016 as my 2007 does it fine But it does not like it
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Duramax! I can see your smile from here! Good luck.

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
The upgrade to a 2500hd over a 1500 is a boost as well.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats as well.
We just picked up our new diesel a few months back.
We love it. An amazing machine.

Enjoy
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on a huge upgrade. No way you'll ever regret going with a newer diesel - the performance is just awesome.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new truck, a diesel is a whole different animal huh.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker