cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First PUP

PopnBB
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter and SIL just bought a used '96 Jayco 1006 popup for their first camper. He called me asking some questions. We have a Class C so I couldn't help him much. His main question was about using the sink. Does the camper have a water tank? They couldn't get the sink to work properly when they went on their first trip this past weekend. The manual didn't give them any info. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

pcfeld
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
If you use a bucket for your gray water put a cover on it. I, unfortunately, drowned a family of mice at Black Canyon of the Gunnison because mine wasn't covered.

The use of a bucket with water and some time of bait has always been a easy way to kill multiple mice on the farm. After a while the cats realized it was a feeding area.
Pat ('66)
Sandi ('67)
DD ('92)
DS ('95)
DS ('03
2001 Town & Country
2005 Chevy Avalanche
2004-Rockwood 2280
A few pictures

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
If you use a bucket for your gray water put a cover on it. I, unfortunately, drowned a family of mice at Black Canyon of the Gunnison because mine wasn't covered.

Dry camping in Colorado many years ago, my Dad left his gray water bucket uncovered, drowned a chipmunk then received a $50 fine from the ranger.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Between RVs

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
A sink without a fresh water tank doesn't make much sense so I'm inclined to say they have a tank.

I found some photos of a 1996 Jayco 1006 online and it appears that the fresh water fill port is high on the left (driver's) side, above the water heater access door, and just in front of the wheel. It will be a white cap about 2" diameter. The city water inlet appears to be next to the tank fill (garden hose connection). Most popups do not fill the tank from the city water inlet like many/most larger rigs.

The electric water pump will need to be turned on. There is probably a small switch near the galley for that.

The electric water pump will most likely be powered through the galley kill switch. Do the overhead lights work AND is the pump switch on? If so, then the kill switch is engaged. This kill switch is the source and solution for many 12Vdc problems! Mine's pretty picky; the galley has to be set in place just right. The overhead lights are the key indicator in this case; they are powered through the kill switch too.

Now check the fuse in the 12Vdc distribution panel. My unit has the 12Vdc fuses in the same access panel as the 120Vac circuit breakers (and the converter is in there too!). While they are looking there, have them check all the fuses. Just pull them out one at a time and look to see if the fuse element is solid. Flip the breakers off & on to excercise them (do this once a year; both in the RV and in the sticks & bricks).

Now assuming the kill switch is properly engaged, pump switch is on, the fuses are good, and it STILL doesn't work, check for an in-line fuse near the water pump. The pump could be almost anywhere inside the trailer, but start looking near the water heater. They may have to remove some seat cushions or open cabinet doors to find it. It will be a cylinder about 10" high and 4" diameter with wires and pipes going to it. The in-line fuse is probably within 6-12" of the pump.

Now if everything above checks out OK, and the pump STILL doesn't work, they need to determine if the pump works. Have them open the faucet valves (to engage the low-pressure switch) and check voltage at the in-line fuse. If the meter reads 12Vdc (or more) at this point, the pump is probably shot and needs replaced.

Good luck to them!
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

capsfloyd
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there should be a water storage tank , water heater, water pump
No grey holding tank , we used a small water hose connected to the drain port, drained that into a blue 7 gallon water container

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our PUP ('88 StarCraft) had a small freshwater tank, and the check valve kept failing (and was a HUGE pain to replace, due to its location WAYYYY under the sink with only a tiny access door), so we eventually gave up & just used thermoses with little spigots on them as our sink water. Many PUP sink faucets require you to unscrew them partway and then pump like mad to get water from the freshwater tank.

As for gray water - most PUPs of our era, and probably most now, don't have any wastewater tanks, but instead there is a drain either under or on the side near the bottom of the freshwater tank. We drained into a bucket and dumped the bucket when it got full. Most CGs require that to be dumped at the dump station, though we sometimes would use the closest CG toilet.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
The water comes out of a hole, but you can connect a garden hose to it. You can get a blue tote for grey water,or just use a bucket. If you have hookups, just run the hose to the sewer.

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
Mine drains out the side also. I use an old wash machine hose and drain into a 5 gallon bucket. We use very little water anyway when camping, so dumping a little bit of water out of a bucket is easy. I generally take the bucket and the porta-potty to the dump station before tearing down camp.

I have never filled my fresh water tank yet. Sometimes I hook up the fresh water hose. Sometimes I just bring a gallon of water with us. Depends on how many days we are staying.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
Our Starcraft popup simply drained out the side of the camper onto the ground until I ran a pvc pipe from the drain to a 5 gal bucket with some sand in the bottom. I placed that behind the bumper under one of the slide out beds. All we had was a small fresh water tank.
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
most do..crawl under and look. I personally do not hook mine up to water because it is a p.i.t.a to collect the gray water as most cg frown on it dumping to the ground. if I have to tote a bucket to get rid of wash water I might as well walk to the bathhouse to wash.