cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flatbed truck Camper

Rafe_Covington
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about getting a 4X4 mediun duty truck and either buying or have a flatbed truck camper built. I was wondering if anybody was using a flatbed camper, would appreciate your observations.

Thanks
Rafe
You can run but you die tired.
25 REPLIES 25

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
The first fifth wheel we owned had been used by the first owner as a flatbed camper. He had the axles removed so it sat easily on the flatdeck.

It was a short fifth wheel at 17.5', with an interior that was similar to an 11' camper. The fifth wheel also had a back door, just like a camper. Lots of storage too!

Just a thought ... here it is on our truck after having its underside returned to fifth wheel mode.

That is super cool.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Just Jeff:
Thanks for the list. I've heard of many of them, but there are a couple of names I need to check out. From what I've seen so for the starting price is $100K+ for new ones.

That pinterst link has some very nice looking rigs.

Lots of good info from SoCalDesertRider. I didn't know a person could buy cab/chassis truck. I'm going to bookmark it.

When I look at a truck camper it seems that you loose a lot of useful space due to the constraints of the bed. And putting on top of a flat bed makes for a very tall ride and lots of wasted space under the flat bed. I know you can put storage boxes on the sides, but you are loosing at least 4'x8'x1' in the center

It seemed to me that a TC company could make a model that fit directly onto a pickup truck with the bed removed or cab/chassis truck. Yes, it would't be as generic a fit. You would get more space and save the weight of the bed/flat bed. I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than the current 4x4RVs

Just_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
SkiMore - If you haven't searched yet, several Class C makers build on a 4x4 chassis. Some are a little more capable off-road than others.

Chinook Baja
Host
Thor's Chateau and Four Winds
EarthRoamer
Tiger Adventure Vehicles
Sportsmobile
ActionCamper
Xplorer
Global Expedition Vehicles

It's also possible to get many 2WD chassis converted to 4WD, but it's spendy.

Here are some pics with ideas for off-road RVs - Clicky

And here's a link on this forum where SoCalDesertRider explains some advantages of putting a TC on a flatbed. Clicky
2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
SkiMore wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
SkiMore wrote:
Does anyone make something similar to a truck camper but is designed to go on a truck without the PU bed? It would sit low like a TC and wouldn't require an expensive flatbed added to the truck first. It would also let the camper use all the space taken up by the PU bed. You would have a narrow portion where the wheel wells are, but it could be 7' wide everywhere else.
Yes.

It is called a Class C RV.

A TC typically has support from the surface it rests on, so the bottom does not fall out, such as a truck bed or flat bed. By placing the TC directly (only a box frame truck would work) on the trucks frame rails, as you described would take additional engineering. I suspect this cost would exceed the cost of a used flat bed.

b

How many class C companies start with a 4x4 chassis?
I haven't any idea, I'm not looking for one. If I were looking for one, I would try a Google or Bing search. That might provide one a starting point.

b

Thank you for the help.

When I learned about flatbed campers I thought that they might be a route to a 4x4 RV with a little more space than a standard TC. It seems like an untapped market for TC companies. People pay a big premium to get a sportsmobile upgraded to 4x4.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiMore wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
SkiMore wrote:
Does anyone make something similar to a truck camper but is designed to go on a truck without the PU bed? It would sit low like a TC and wouldn't require an expensive flatbed added to the truck first. It would also let the camper use all the space taken up by the PU bed. You would have a narrow portion where the wheel wells are, but it could be 7' wide everywhere else.
Yes.

A TC typically has support from the surface it rests on, so the bottom does not fall out, such as a truck bed or flat bed. By placing the TC directly (only a box frame truck would work) on the trucks frame rails, as you described would take additional engineering. I suspect this cost would exceed the cost of a used flat bed.

b

I haven't any idea, I'm not looking for one. If I were looking for one, I would try a Google or Bing search. That might provide one a starting point.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
SkiMore wrote:
Yes.

b

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer
we have a F450 Ford flatbed with a 990 Arctic Fox on it.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiMore wrote:
Yes.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
don't have one myself looked at converting my franklin into one during rebuild, but family talked me out of it...a flat bed t/c should have a taller bunk area due to higher floor plus would have class c storage capibity...
1999 F550 truck conversion

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like a flatbed camper sits above the wheels and there is a lot of wasted space below the floor of the flatbed camper.

Does anyone make something similar to a truck camper but is designed to go on a truck without the PU bed? It would sit low like a TC and wouldn't require an expensive flatbed added to the truck first. It would also let the camper use all the space taken up by the PU bed. You would have a narrow portion where the wheel wells are, but it could be 7' wide everywhere else. I imagine it would not be easy to remove and you would loose the basic pickup functionality.

I like the idea a 4x4 RV, but XP camper and a 4x4 sportsmobile are pricey. Is a pickup with a TC the only sub $70K option (new price) if you want 4x4 or AWD.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Custom Flatbeds

You can also have a look at some examples here, you may find the conventional designs too high for your travels on a flatbed...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I have a flatbed on my dually but use a regular TC. I have tool boxes mounted on the sides for storage. I think the MDT and flatbed are certainly the way to go for the larger campers. Having a custom built flatbed camper would be really nice but also probably really expensive with very little resale value. It would also be very difficult finding an other truck to haul it if yours wasn't available for some reason.
I think it was Chalet that built a huge flatbed camper for on a Ford F-550. It was sort of a one-off, not a production model. Northstar offers a small one for small trucks.
Have you got a builder in mind?
It was a Snowriver tc designed by Bob M 😄
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't like the Northstar layout, but I can see a lot of potential of the extra floor width. Host also does custom builds, so they might be worth talking to. I'd also talk to the fifth wheel manufacturers.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jarends
Explorer
Explorer
I have a flat bed custom build on f350srw w lance. 950 s. flat bed I same size as orig bed an built so it is same height as bed o keep cab overhang correct. I fitted sides w al sides w 2 doors per side that are attached through side stake pockets. I use this truck to pull gooseneck trailers when not camping. And so far has been great. W all the storage we want while camping and still good when I need a truck. It was all custom and not cheap, but well worth it