cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florence & Coos Bay, OR Dunes Questions

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
I am hoping you guys can give me some advise on where to camp, and where to rent quads & atv's for a trip to the OR dunes. There seems to be a lot of options for both in that area.

The trip is my (2) boys 9 & 12, & myself in our camper in early April. My boys have ridden small quads and dirt bikes before, but we are not advanced riders and no sand experience. I can see us renting for a couple hours in the morning and possibly another round in the afternoon. We will be there for (2) nights (Friday & Saturday).

Spinreel & Dune Bug will rent 90 & 125cc quads to kids. Any others that we should look into. I can see us taking out a 4-seat UTV for some laps too.

Any hints on where to camp. Don't need hook-ups, but would use them if we had them. We would rather have some privacy and a camp fire is a must...
27 REPLIES 27

Bedlam
If you go in December/January to South Jetty, these natural sand castles are everywhere. Not so much in the drier months.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Hey Bedlam -- Where's this?
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did a 6 person single dune buggy tour years ago. We thought it was great. We thought about renting 4 vehicles, but we're glad to pay the expert to get air and give us a tour all of the way to the ocean. We were two adults, two kids: one preteen, and one teen, btw.

It also seemed to have a lot of disclaimers and product liability if the rental broke, in the signs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
seems like when we were there we had to have a visa card to use to rent the four wheelers

Bedlam

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
ok... more pics

Pics of Sand Lakes. Sand Lakes has two different camping areas, both with ride access. A dry-camp campground you can reserve a space in, and two big 'first come first serve' camp areas, also dry. They just expanded the first come 2 years ago. And the bonus - the first come sites, you rent the SPACE, and are allowed to cram 2 full RVs on them if you want because the new spaces are HUGE and they recently decided that was a good rule rather than enforce extra vehicle charges. Also, if you have a National Parks Pass, camping is half off.

The parking expansion--

The original first come first serve lot

My ride, my cousin's in the background

My copilot

Campsite

The view looking NW from "Cell Phone Hill"

The view south from Cell Phone Hill

Various pics of Coos and Florence. They are within a half hour driving distance of each other.

None of the "Fails" were from my group/friends, just ones we came across.

The view of the actual Coos Bay

Beware of rat holes - the only way out is HP and balls...

My crew

Ran across this guy we dubbed "The UBoat Commander"--He flipped end-o and submerged his quad upside down.

Another Rut Roh

Riding the beach

Stuck at the top of a razor back

Another Rut Roh

Competition Hill

Coos Bay Bridge

'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an AVID dune'r. There is SOOOO much info to tell.... Spinreel has a nice little shop that rents ATVs and Side by Sides right next to the campground.
Be forewarned - renting is VERY expensive. I took these pics just this last August of their rates. (Wayne - sorry they're bigger than normal, it was the smallest I could make them and still be read-able.)

Do NOT rent the "One Seat Ace" - they are small and very prone to rollover, two of my friends have them. You either need to be an expert rider, or have a lot of money for new plastics.

Campgrounds on the OR coast vary widely - No hookups/dry camping, partial and full hookups.

Sand Lakes near Tillimook for me is a nice place simply because it's the closest, only 4 hours drive for me. Dry camping only, usually very busy because it's closest to Portland, and the smallest of the ORV sand playgrounds. It can sometimes be dangerous just because of the number of people vs. small size.

Coos is awesome - everything you'd want, from mellow trails to hill climbs to go fast straight aways. My best time is 5hrs 58 minutes one way from Tacoma. I was Haulin arse. Norm is 7+. for me.

I go at least 2-3x a year to Coos, Sand Lakes, Florence, etc, and have for the last 10+ years.

If you decide to buy your own quads/atvs down the road - my advise would be to get more HP/cc's than you would if you're a trail rider simply because sand takes more power to move through. Getting stuck at the bottom of a hill or rat hole can suck... been there done that.

Also if you buy - note that not all campgrounds have ride-in ride-out access year-round. Honeyman for instance makes you truck your quads to the nearest sand access a mile down the road during the summer, but allows riding in during off-season. Other campgrounds like Spinreel-II are ride-in/out year round, but are dry camping only.

I have a ton of pics, I'll work on posting them on edit.
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
We liked Woahink Lake Rv Resort.

I can't recall if they allow fires...
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Bedlam
We will be in Florence in early July and Moses Lake in early May and always have a seat available.

We usually stay at the RPI park in South Jetty when in OR. It is also open for non-members. The same is available at Moses Lake or you can boon dock at the dunes. ML can loud at night and dusty during the day, so that comes with the free camping. There are sand camp sites at Forence, but they are not free.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Jesse Honeyman State Park
Florence, Oregon

Waxmyrtle USFS Camp Ground
South of Dunes City, Oregon

Port of Siuslaw Camp Ground.
Florence, Oregon

These are two of my favorite campgrounds.
Inside Florence is the Port of Siuslaw Camp Ground right on the river and close to old town. Very handy place to camp with full hookups available..

I would add that if you stay at Honeyman State Park you can have direct access to the Dunes. There are dune buggy rentals avtailable close by adjacent to the Dunes.

Direct access is only from Oct 1 to April 30 but with rentals you ride from the rental lot anyway. This was taken west of Honeyman last April:

I’d recommend avoiding Winchester Bay as those dunes are big. Down by Spinreal they are more suited to beginners and smaller machines. The south end of the Florence dunes are good too. Look for Lagoon or Waxmyrtle mentioned above. I have many fond memories from those when you used to be able to ride ATV’s direct from them.

Here’s one of Winchester dunes:

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Florence, Oregon

Florence, Oregon

Inside Florence is the Port of Siuslaw Camp Ground right on the river and close to old town. Very handy place to camp with full hookups available..

I would add that if you stay at Honeyman State Park you can have direct access to the Dunes. There are dune buggy rentals avtailable close by adjacent to the Dunes.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Salmon Harbor at Winchester Bay is a really nice place to camp. Right on the bay. There are a couple of rental places not too far away right on the edge of the dunes. Bit before you go, check age and license requirements for riding on the dunes.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Florence, Oregon

Florence, Oregon