cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford F150 STX V6

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone out there have a 2020 Ford F150 STX V6 truck that they use to tow with?

We've been narrowing down the choice of trucks that we are considering buying and something we've learned is that while a vehicle may look nice and says it tows nice, sometimes that simply isn't the truth. Once upon a time we towed with a Toyota Tundra and it towed horribly (we had sway bars too). When we got our (current) truck, a Ford F150 Lariat, we couldn't even tell that we had a trailer behind us!

My biggest concern is the V6 of this new truck....I'm sure that V6 technology has improved since our Tundra but I'm not convinced that any V6 can be as reliable/strong as our V8. So, does anyone out there have one of these trucks and how does it compare to anything you've used to tow before?
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150
25 REPLIES 25

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
First, let me say that we are old hands at towing and knowing how to pick a tow vehicle that will pull the trailer we have. We have had our current vehicle since 2006 and have safely towed several different rigs with it since then.

My post here wasn't to debate the safety of the truck we are thinking of getting as it pertains to our trailer----I was simply wondering if anyone else out there has this truck and what their feelings are (pro and con) on how it tows their rig! It's not like you can take a potential vehicle for a test drive, drive it home and hook it up to the trailer and drive it around for a while to see how it handles! Thus my original question.

We don't need a new truck right now. Our current vehicle is well maintained and has less less than 90K miles on it---which is not something you will find in most 14 year old trucks! What prompted this was hubby's retirement plans---the clock has begun ticking and we thought it might be prudent to buy a new truck now, while he's still working and bringing in a paycheck, rather than waiting until we have to buy a new truck and we'd be tapping into a fixed budget (post retirement). Our current truck has only the basic technology that is found in the newer trucks and if we wait until we need to buy a new truck, our trade-in is going to be almost laughable.

Anyway, thank you one and all for your thoughts/comments---they are appreciated. And a special shout-out to Mitch, who lives just up over the hill from where we are! Happy trails!
Wendy & Darrell
2020 Ford F150

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the STX option just a trim package, like the King Ranch or Platinum, and has nothing to do with the engine or towing capability?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TheBeans wrote:
According to the spec sheet: 2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab; 145" wheelbase; 2.7L V6 Ecoboost; Electric 10 speed Auto w/Tow Mo. GVWR #8500

According to the trailer's specs (the same trailer listed in my signature line below) the GVWR is #7200 We don't load our trailer down with lots of gear so we are well under the specs listing there.

I'm not worried whether the truck could handle the trailer, weight-wise, I'm more worried about the "feel" of how it tows. We don't want anything that is going to be difficult, a case of the tail wagging the dog (despite using sway bars). Just for reference, our current truck is a 2006 Ford F150 Lariat V8....it's been the best tow vehicle we've ever had.

Which are you worried about? The size of the truck or the power.
A new F150 will obviously handle a trailer as good or better than a 14 year old one.
Look at the power specs. The little 2.7 Eco has more power more torque and a much lower peak torqu and flatter curve than your Triton motor. Plus more than twice the gears.
Do the math. It’s more truck than your old one and it’s the second “weakest” engine in the lineup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
You’ll probably be ok but you broke the rule...buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle. What trailer is first on your list? What’s the max trailer weight and payload of the truck?

What makes you assume the trailer they have listed isn’t the one they’re towing?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not keep your current truck?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Just because you have sway bars doesn’t mean things will tow well. The set up has to be adjusted properly, trailer loaded for adequate tongue weight etc. Any model Tundra would have no issues towing the trailer in your signature with ease. If not set up properly you won’t be happy with any vehicle.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How something tows depends more more on how it's loaded and the hitch setup.. You can't just slap a hitch on it and then hitch up a trailer and expect it to tow 'like it's not there'.. 🙂

I don't think your F150 has a #8500 GVWR, but whatever...

I like my Ecoboost V6 and it serves me well for my #7000 GVWR TT.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You’ll probably be ok but you broke the rule...buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle. What trailer is first on your list? What’s the max trailer weight and payload of the truck?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
According to the spec sheet: 2020 F-150 STX 4x4 Supercab; 145" wheelbase; 2.7L V6 Ecoboost; Electric 10 speed Auto w/Tow Mo. GVWR #8500

According to the trailer's specs (the same trailer listed in my signature line below) the GVWR is #7200 We don't load our trailer down with lots of gear so we are well under the specs listing there.

I'm not worried whether the truck could handle the trailer, weight-wise, I'm more worried about the "feel" of how it tows. We don't want anything that is going to be difficult, a case of the tail wagging the dog (despite using sway bars). Just for reference, our current truck is a 2006 Ford F150 Lariat V8....it's been the best tow vehicle we've ever had.
Wendy & Darrell
2020 Ford F150

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
What v6 is it? Would make a big difference.

We have a 2020 F150, 4x4, crew cab with the 3.5 ECO engine. Not a STX, it is a XLT, 302a pkg with max tow. Have not towed with it yet, however it is a replacement for a hurricane flooded 2018 with the same specs. The 2018 towed great. A 2500rl Imagine TT. It is about 7000 lbs loaded.

How yours would tow depends on what you are towing, specs on your truck including engine and payload.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Which V6?
3.5 EcoBoost
3.3 NA
2.7 turbo
Guess you've been out of the loop for a few years. The 3.5 V6 Eco Boost puts out 375HP and 470TQ.
It will blow the doors on most all V8 in todays 1/2 tons.