cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford F150 STX V6

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone out there have a 2020 Ford F150 STX V6 truck that they use to tow with?

We've been narrowing down the choice of trucks that we are considering buying and something we've learned is that while a vehicle may look nice and says it tows nice, sometimes that simply isn't the truth. Once upon a time we towed with a Toyota Tundra and it towed horribly (we had sway bars too). When we got our (current) truck, a Ford F150 Lariat, we couldn't even tell that we had a trailer behind us!

My biggest concern is the V6 of this new truck....I'm sure that V6 technology has improved since our Tundra but I'm not convinced that any V6 can be as reliable/strong as our V8. So, does anyone out there have one of these trucks and how does it compare to anything you've used to tow before?
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150
25 REPLIES 25

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The 2.7L Ecoboost with 10-spd transmission will be significantly better towing experience than your 2006 5.4L/40spd. You'll spend far more time under 3000rpm, both accelerating and crusing.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
With only 6500 lbs for GCWR it's possible your payload is barely above 1000 lbs. Not much left for passengers, camping stuff and tongue weight.

The F150s are fairly light. On Ford's website the only models listed that are more than 5000 lbs are diesels and the Raptor. Of course, one needs to look at the yellow sticker and do the math prior to committing. I would think that the new truck would likely have more payload than his current one, what with the lighter aluminum body.

Can't tell if you own a F150. My F150 is over 5000lbs I'll let you do the math GVWR 7050 1903 Payload and it's a Lariat with "bling".
The OP wanted real life experiences from those of us driving one.
They will not be disappointed if they buy a new 150 with the 3.5 eco-boost.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
With only 6500 lbs for GCWR it's possible your payload is barely above 1000 lbs. Not much left for passengers, camping stuff and tongue weight.

The F150s are fairly light. On Ford's website the only models listed that are more than 5000 lbs are diesels and the Raptor. Of course, one needs to look at the yellow sticker and do the math prior to committing. I would think that the new truck would likely have more payload than his current one, what with the lighter aluminum body.

I think that goducks10 meant GVWR, not GCWR.

A lot of good info here:
Ford 2020 towing guide

For as light of trailer as the op is talking about the 2.7 Ecoboost would be fine. Especially if combined with the 3.73 gears and max payload payload package.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '19 F150 max tow 1900lbs payload 3.5 ecoboost pulls my 7700GVWR 28' TT like it's on rails. Plenty of power and a pleasant tow, one hand on the wheel and one hand holding a cup of coffee. But then again my towing speeds are reasonable at 64-65 MPH.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
The 3.5 Ecoboost is a $1600 option, the best $1600 investment you can make in a tow vehicle; considering the 7200 lbs you plan on towing.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
TheBeans wrote:
My post here wasn't to debate the safety of the truck we are thinking of getting as it pertains to our trailer----I was simply wondering if anyone else out there has this truck and what their feelings are (pro and con) on how it tows their rig!

Your towing fuel economy will be way down from what you get unloaded !

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the spec sheet again and you are correct....it's 6500 not 8500. The printing is not the best as this was a copy given to us by the dealer. It's all good though.

No plans to get a larger TT----this one is "practically perfect in every way!"
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the STX is a trim package for the XL. Kind of a half XLT deal.
Check the specs. The 2.7EB has the torque of the 5.0 V8 but at much lower RPM. It does have much less HP but still decent.

I simply don’t believe the 8500# GVWR you posted. All 2.7EB I’ve seen are well under 7000#. There is a 2.7 Payload Package that is higher than normal but not that high.
2.7EB WITH towing package (53A) is rated at 7600# towing. Bumper hole or Hitch Receiver (53B) is rated at 5000# towing.

If you think you might ever get a bigger TT, consider the 3.5EB with Max Tow (53C) (& preferable Heavy Duty Payload package). Once you pay for the 3.5EB, the Max Tow is a deal over the Towing Package. You get the 36 gallon tank, factory Trailer Brake Controller, 3.55 rear axle, reinforced bumper/receiver. IIRC, it’s like $400 for Max Tow over Towing Package. Otherwise the 36 tank, 3.55, & TBC are separate options. The HDPP adds a spring leaf, 3.73 strengthened rear axle.

I strongly recommend joining the Ford 150 Forum. They have a very informative Tow Hauling section. There is an actual “show us your Load Capacity” thread 😉

Buying off the lot, I had a choice between an STX with 2.7EB with Hitch Receiver or 5.0, Towing Package with TBC and 3.55 added. I bought the latter. I wanted those last two features and my wife was quite leery of turbos ;(

Note, the standard rear axle on the 5.0 & 3.5EB is 3.31. Apparently, the 10 speed transmission takes up the slack. AFAIK, 4.10 is only available on the Raptor, which has a crappy tow rating due to its suspension.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey TheBeans. I didn't see that you were just over in Orting. That was some smoke we had. Kept us home for a week!

Also, the STX will be a pretty basic trim level truck. But, they do have a lot more to them now a days. Even the little 2.7 Eco puts out more power than that 5.4 V8. I had a 97 F150 with the 5.4 and towed a #5000 TT with it. It did fine, but the new truck towed it a lot better! Then we got the bigger TT!

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If your current TV is an F150 and tows well, there is no reason than a new one should not tow as good or better. As far as engines go, even the little 2.7 Ecoboost will run circles around your current 5.4 V8, especially with the 10 speed trans.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TheBeans wrote:
First, let me say that we are old hands at towing and knowing how to pick a tow vehicle that will pull the trailer we have. We have had our current vehicle since 2006 and have safely towed several different rigs with it since then.

My post here wasn't to debate the safety of the truck we are thinking of getting as it pertains to our trailer----I was simply wondering if anyone else out there has this truck and what their feelings are (pro and con) on how it tows their rig! It's not like you can take a potential vehicle for a test drive, drive it home and hook it up to the trailer and drive it around for a while to see how it handles! Thus my original question.

We don't need a new truck right now. Our current vehicle is well maintained and has less less than 90K miles on it---which is not something you will find in most 14 year old trucks! What prompted this was hubby's retirement plans---the clock has begun ticking and we thought it might be prudent to buy a new truck now, while he's still working and bringing in a paycheck, rather than waiting until we have to buy a new truck and we'd be tapping into a fixed budget (post retirement). Our current truck has only the basic technology that is found in the newer trucks and if we wait until we need to buy a new truck, our trade-in is going to be almost laughable.

Anyway, thank you one and all for your thoughts/comments---they are appreciated. And a special shout-out to Mitch, who lives just up over the hill from where we are! Happy trails!

Couple comments, you did ask about tail wagging the dog handling, so to back track and say you know how it will tow is contradictory.
Regarding the value of your current truck, trade in will be somewhat laughable now, as most trade ins are. However the value is good for what it is. And even in a couple years, at your rate for mileage, low miles full size truck, especially if 4x4 and crew cab, will be very good considering it's age.
That said, IMO, unless you really want or need a new truck right now, I'd wait. This year is a cluster for vehicle values due to the Rona. You're not going to take a bath on your truck if its cherry and low miles, even years from now. It's depreciated out and the nice ones bring good $.
And since you're planning on a loan, why not just start making your payments now, to yourself. Then you have the cash and a NEW truck in a few years rather than no cash and a used truck in a few years.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
TheBeans wrote:
First, let me say that we are old hands at towing and knowing how to pick a tow vehicle that will pull the trailer we have. We have had our current vehicle since 2006 and have safely towed several different rigs with it since then.

My post here wasn't to debate the safety of the truck we are thinking of getting as it pertains to our trailer----I was simply wondering if anyone else out there has this truck and what their feelings are (pro and con) on how it tows their rig! It's not like you can take a potential vehicle for a test drive, drive it home and hook it up to the trailer and drive it around for a while to see how it handles! Thus my original question.

We don't need a new truck right now. Our current vehicle is well maintained and has less less than 90K miles on it---which is not something you will find in most 14 year old trucks! What prompted this was hubby's retirement plans---the clock has begun ticking and we thought it might be prudent to buy a new truck now, while he's still working and bringing in a paycheck, rather than waiting until we have to buy a new truck and we'd be tapping into a fixed budget (post retirement). Our current truck has only the basic technology that is found in the newer trucks and if we wait until we need to buy a new truck, our trade-in is going to be almost laughable.

Anyway, thank you one and all for your thoughts/comments---they are appreciated. And a special shout-out to Mitch, who lives just up over the hill from where we are! Happy trails!

I have for years said "go into retirement with new vehicles and toys, that are paid for!"

Regarding the little 2.7L Ecoboost it is a bomb in our 2020 Edge ST. It turns our 4500 SUV into a hotrod(0-60 in 5.7, 1/4 Mile at 98 in 14.1). It would be a good engine in a F150 lively grocery getter. For a F150 TV I would look at the larger 3.5 Ecoboost V6.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021