Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest River Surveyor

lgroat
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings.
We bought a used Jayco 22fb a couple of years ago. It was pretty inexpensive and suited our needs well enough. We've used it a tremendous amount and that has allowed us to create a list of features we'd like to have in our next camper.

We've been looking at a 2015 Surveyor 264 RKS. It looks awfully nice and would be a great plan for us. Any inputs from past Surveyor owners?

A couple gas mileage questions. Our Dodge Hemi pulls great, but the mileage when towing is awful. How much will the weight of the new trailer affect that? I've read before that aerodynamics have a larger effect. Does that sloping fiberglass front help that much? We set a goal weight of < 6000lbs for the new trailer. That's a good 1000 more than the Jayco, but well within the truck's capacity.
10 REPLIES 10

MargaretB
Explorer
Explorer
We seriously considered the 2015 Surveyor 264 RKS but wound up with something else because the general impression was that it seemed narrow. Maybe because of the orientation of the dinette? We also didn't like not having a night-stand.

What we liked about it was that beautiful sofa, the all-season features, the great kitchen, and the double doors.

We had decided on the unit we wanted, the Surveyor Cadet 226RBDS, but when we went to the dealer to buy it, someone had beaten us by ten minutes and we would have had to wait more than a month.
Two retirees. Perpetual newbies. Techno- and mechanophobes.
2015 Tracer 230
2014 F-150 XLT EcoBoost

lgroat
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
Love love love our Surveyor

Edit: Just saw you chose the Prime Time, we liked those as well. Congrats and enjoy the new rig!

Thanks. I think the Surveyor is more attractive on the outside, but the layout of this one works for us! Wish we could take it out this weekend, but it will have to wait until the weekend after Thanksgiving.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Love love love our Surveyor

Edit: Just saw you chose the Prime Time, we liked those as well. Congrats and enjoy the new rig!
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

lgroat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.
Well we ended up agreeing about the shallow slide. We decided that the Prime Time Tracer 2750RBS was the best fit for us. We really like the rear living models, but to stay in our desired weight range and length they RLs seem to compromise on the shower size or give up too much storage. We are picking it up tonight. Excited!

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the Surveyor over two years ago when we moved up to a TT from our old Hybrid. They seemed well-built. We instead opted for the Keystone Bullet due to it having a deeper slide and a better floor plan and more features at the time for what we wanted.

Our old Rockwood Roo was (and the Roo still is) very block-shaped without much of a sloped front end. We found the more aerodynamic sloped front end of the Bullet (and the Surveyor to a degree although it lacks or back then lacked the lower radius curve back towards the frame) to make a remarkable improvement in our towing experience when coupled with the wide stance axles and low center of gravity. Keep in mind this was our experience even though the weight of what we were now towing increased by approximately 600-700 pounds.

Not sure about the Surveyor, but the Bullets now sit higher off the ground due to the floor plans all having a flush-floor deep slide. I've often wondered if raising them up changed the towing experience a bit by also raising the center of gravity. I personally like our non-flush slide and our lower center of gravity but maybe after experiencing the deeper flush floor slide and the room it provides I might feel differently. We also like having a curbside dinette which doesn't appear to be offered anymore with the flush-floor slide floor plans.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Nice layout, but personally don't care for the shallow slide. I guess that is part of how they are keeping the dry weight so low. We have a layout virtually identical in a Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS, a bit shorter, but has a much deeper slide.

Good luck!

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite floorplan in the world! We looked at one back in '06 and fell in love with it, but...we were really after a hybrid and at that time didn't want to spend the extra money. And it was heavier than DH wanted to tow. This past year we made the change from our beloved HTT to a TT and looked again and still loved it, but it still weighed more than we wanted. We bought the one in our sig and love it, but that 264 still lurks in the back of our minds. DH was impressed with the build and we both loved the fit and finish. While there aren't a ton on Surveyors on here, the ones who have them seem very satisfied. Don't think you'd be making a mistake.

Is that 6000# number GVWR or dry weight....as I recall, the Gross was over 7000#. Our max capacity is 8000# and we're at 6629# with Rocky. Looking at a weight sticker on one online, the GVWR is 7800+. Too much for our F-150.

Re mileage...most feel like it's a good day if you average 10 mpg. Larger or smaller doesn't make a lot of difference, it's that big ole front you're dragging down the road. Happy Camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
The sloping front will help. How much depends on how vertical and high the Jayco was. Shape has a bigger effect than weight. I would not expect to see more than 1 MPG.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Surveyor for about 5 years, and it was good to us. No real problems. They're pretty well built given the constraints of being a lightweight design. Fuel consumption is all about wind drag. The Surveyor got us no better mileage than the rig before that weighed 50% more.

It did tow really nice with the low frame and torsion axles.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking for a new trailer two years ago, the Surveyor was at the top of our list. I would be in one now if the dealer would have come down just a little more. (I didn't want to finance any part) We really liked the fit and finish. As for gas mileage, I do not think you will see much difference.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150