cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Window pros and cons

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks: I am looking to upgrade from a pop-up TC to a stiff-side for more room and storage. This will entail purchasing a larger truck. We have had some memorable 50 day trips in the Bronco 1251S including spotting wild life in the early morning light through all the windows when camping and the fresh air across your face when sleeping. We feel we would miss not having the front window on the overhang and wish to hear which TC's have them and are they a real pain to keep water tight? Not having side windows on both sides of the overhang and being replaced by a large inside mirror would be a deal breaker for us. Looking forward to hearing your comments.
16 REPLIES 16

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I really like being able to look out all four sides when I'm in the camper . In the morning after looking out it gives me the option of rolling over or making coffee . Camper is 47 years old and no front window leaks , near as I can tell it was never re-caulked .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bricetribe, have you repainted that thing or is it just naturally perfectly preserved? That's a nice-looking camper!

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that the camper needs to have windows on both sides of the cab over area to get that nice cross breezes. I too immediately rule out the campers with a cabinet on side of the cab over.

The front window is one I can take or leave. They are prone to leaks and can be cold in the winter, but careful maintenance and a piece of Styrofoam fixes both issues. However, being able to lay in bed and look out the front provides a great view while staying snuggled in bed.

By the way, we had a 69 Franklin 11' which I looked out of for miles and miles as a kid. Wouldn't let kids ride in the back today. When it finally started falling apart from rot, my father carefully took it apart with plan on rebuilding one from scratch. The sides were rotted, but there was no sign of water damage around the front window - except for some slight damage due from condensation.

Looking for a slightly bigger used TC and if I find one with a front window it won't keep me from purchasing it. Only thing I would do whe I get it is to pull the front window to make sure it is properly sealed and hopefully replace it with a thermal window.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad III
Nomad III
I like being able to look out the front and side windows. Have never had a leak issue. No cons.

bricetribe
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoy the windows on all three sides surrounding the queen size bed in our Western Wilderness. It is a mid 80's model and has shown no sign of historic leakage. The window is also a quality double pane with a solar reflective coating on the exterior. I have never noticed a thermal issue with a cool draft but there are additional curtains added to deter the heat.

Here are pictures!

Moderator edit: PLease note your photo width was too wide. 800 is maximum, with a width=640 preferred.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pop over to the Class C forum - front windows aren't very loved there, I'm afraid. Our Class C DID have the front window and it didn't leak; but sleeping near a 5' long single-pane window in cold temps is bone-chilling, to say the least. I finally solved my problem by covering the inside of the window with Reflectix insulation and then closing the curtain. Was much more comfy, temp-wise; but obliterated any view.

The only time I remember enjoying a "view" through that window was parked on the rail at Michigan Int'l Speedway on Turn #3, where the race cars were high into the turn...
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Less windows up top in the co the better. If I'm camping I'm not laying in the co taking in the scenery.
I enjoyed our AF that had only one window, drivers side, up in the co. The right side was a solid wall of cabinets. Great place to store all the light bulky stuff like sleeping bags.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Northstar will make a camper with a front window if you ask for it, but those are smaller campers with no basements.

I find the windowless cabovers to be sort of coffin-like and would go for as many windows up there as possible too. Of course, it doesn't rain where I live so I don't have to worry about leaks as much.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
No pros regarding front cab over window in any TC. IMHO.

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Our first TC was an old 1972 Sells that we fixed up for a trip to Alaska. It had a front window on the overhang. All was fine until we were on the way back coming down I-70 into Denver area. Suddenly there was a loud sound and a rush of hot air and wind coming into the cab of the truck through the "cat tunnel" we had between the camper and the cab. I pulled over and we found that the front window had shattered completely into hundreds of small square glass pieces.

We never did figure out what caused it (pressure change? Temp change from high altitude down into 100+ degree temps?)

We pulled into a Lowes and bought a roll of aluminum and self tapping screws and caulk to cover the opening for the rest of the trip.

We made sure our new TC did not have a front window.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
"Not having side windows on both sides of the overhang and being replaced by a large inside mirror would be a deal breaker for us. "

I don't understand this. You typically have windows on both sides. You may or may not have a Front Window.

Having side windows on both sides of the overhang and being replaced by a large inside mirror has me puzzled. I am sure it can be done, but not sure it is common.

Typically, the TC will have small windows on each side of the overhang (cabover). It may or may not have a large window (or two) in the front of the overhang (cabover). This window looks out over the hood of the truck, and is the frequent cause of water leaks.

I prefer no window with no leaks. I sleep in be and get up to take in the view. You can look out of the small side windows, and I typically leave then open a bit for cross air ventilation.

Wayne

Thanks for comments Reddog1: I was hoping on higher end TC models or newer ones that they would have solved those water leak problems, they make vehicle windshields that don't leak. I know all about leak maintenance on my Bronco and detest the time and effort it takes to make sure it does not leak during each trip. I hear you about going outside for the view but special moments have occurred with spotting wild life right in camp at early dawn through windows while boondocking. Cheer

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Our first camper had the front window and the current rig does not.

We found we very seldom looked out the front window and, although it never leaked, not having one eliminates the risk of leaks in our new camper (at least the leaks in that particular area).

I would gladly give up one of side windows for additional hanging wardrobe space, like the ones found in many of the new campers. We find that opening one of the windows and the skylight brings in plenty of light and air circulation.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I remember sleeping next to that big front window in the winter and always being cold on that side. I was like a rotisserie turning over and over because half of me was always cold.
I would opt out.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the new campers don't have the window in the front. We own a Lance 825, and it has the fan on the ceiling plus a window on each side that bring in a nice breeze. One thing with a pop up you really have a nice open feeling with all the windows open.