Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage ceiling clearance

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Happy New Year fellow TCers!

As usual I'm coming to you for your expertise. We are considering a home that has the Taj Mahal of sheds. The problem is it only has 12' doors. Our TC is 12' 3" tall on the truck. We have the options of putting it on a dolly and rolling it in (UGH!) or changing the AC unit to a lower profile model. We wouldn't mind doing that as our current unit is overly large and high powered. The current unit is 14". The Coleman Mach 8 is 8" which should make things better.

Here's the real problem: say we get it in, can we raise it off the truck in a shed with a 13' ceiling. We've never measured how high the camper is when at it highest point needed when removing the truck. Have you? We think it raises about 6". We cannot test it as it's in storage for the winter. Can it be done? How many of you roll it in on a dolly? What are the challenges and how do you handle a lip at the edge? Our TC weighs at least 4000 lbs without water.

Any info would be great.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
25 REPLIES 25

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, did I mention that it's 44' x 64'. It sure is "purdy" It has the most wonderful wood working shop, hot and cold running water and a full bath in it. It was used as a business. DH fell in love immediately. It's nicer than the house (kind of). 🙂

We are considering this property BECAUSE of the TC. I want to make DH's life easier but it is more and more complicated.

It was my bright idea to sell our house so that he would be closer to more lakes and camping. Our house sold in a week!!!:E
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a used utility trailer? That's what I use to put my camper inside with. Once inside I transfer it to a dolly, but only to save some room. I happen to have a Kubota BX22 4x4 tractor to move the trailer from the garage, Raise the camper, pull the trailer away, and back the truck under. Easy Peasy! Might not be as cheap if a simple A/c change will do the job, but alot cheaper than building mods.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would try the A/C first, my bet is that it would also be more efficient for your TC.

If it is a standalone building, it may be cost effective to simply raise the entire building ans extend the door accordingly. Years ago, I worked in house moving, and it was a very common thing to do. It sounds intimidating, but is really pretty simple. We frequently hauled many to a different location.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
campn4walleye wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
Dig out the door opening a bit lower.

No can do, concrete floor.

It's amazing what a jackhammer can do. We hd to lower the bay in the fire station during the remodel as the new water tender and the driveway approach angle were problematic. New extended floor, rebar steel and concrete plus one new panel on the door and the problem was solved.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
May not be possible for you but I redid my garage from a 7' door to a 8' door to fit my pop up truck camper.
wasn't cheap but worth it for me.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

mkletka
Explorer
Explorer
Can you air down the tires enough to get it through the door?

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:

No can do, concrete floor.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the OP is looking at a shed that has already been built.

One thing to make sure of. Is the door opening actually 12 feet?

I have a shop building with 12 ft doors but the actual height of the door opening is 11 ft 10 inches due to casing around the door opening.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hunch a lot of us have owned TCs. I owned 3 in my lifetime. As I got older I moved to 5vers and MHs for more room on longer trips, and just too old to climb up into the bed. If you move out of a TC later 12' isn't going to work. You really need a 16' roof and 14 by 14 ft door. Plus selling that home later I doubt the 12' door would have that much to offer to another RVer. Just something to think about.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
You should be safe using the 6" lift figure. I have some centering guides that I lift mine to clear while loadong/unloading that amounts to a 5" lift. Personally I like your idea of replacing the A/C unit and would be interested to read a step by step commentary as to what you ended up doing to install a lower profile unit, (hopefully you can find one with directional registers). Good luck.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase