cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas for Generator

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I have the generator, I need to find a way to safely carry an extra gas can in the back of the pick-up. I was thinking about a jerry can with a carrier somehow attached to the bed of the truck so it won’t move around while traveling.
What types of gas cans are you folks using and how do you carry them? Are the cans with the new CARB approved nozzles as much of a pain as I have heard? Thanks for the info.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R
29 REPLIES 29

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
I thought the reviews on this gas can were lying, until I bought mine.

NO SPILL CARB COMPLIANT GAS CAN

Watch the video and you'll be impressed! Absolutely no spill!

I have the same can and I'm careful to vent it before I go to use it. That takes care of any pressure changes from altitude/temperature.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the reviews on this gas can were lying, until I bought mine.

NO SPILL CARB COMPLIANT GAS CAN

Watch the video and you'll be impressed! Absolutely no spill!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Why not look to those who ride MX, ATV, SxS as they carry fuel in the vehicles all of the time. Yes, the Rotopax are nice and lock in but they are pricey once you buy the container and mounting brackets... I have them for on trail use.

Here is was most offroad sports enthusiasts use:

VP Racing Sportsman Container

Anyone who says a plastic fuel container is no good... hasn't used these containers. The VP Racing containers are reasonably priced ($35), stable, very strong and most importantly, they come with a fuel spout that works... not one of those junk CARB spouts. If you purchase the clear "white" ones, you can easily see the fuel level in the container.
I love me some land yachting

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Here is a link to a place that sells the NATO cans and all acc.
Nato Gas Cans

They are $50 dollars, a lot cheaper than some of the other sites that have been linked here.
The price includes shipping so it's a very good price.

The can I bought at Rover Parts is made in Great Britain and was about $55 with shipping.

The can from Fleet Farm would be about $58 with shipping but it also includes the spout.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
The best Gas Can is the ALL Metal NATO gas can. It will not leak. The old style WWII ones with the wide mouth leak, especially under pressure.

In my opinion Plastic cans should be avoided. The plastic can attract static electricity which if sparked can be a big problem. This is usually true with the cheapest ones.

Nato Gas Cans

They are $50 dollars, a lot cheaper than some of the other sites that have been linked here.

When you are carrying 40 liters of gasoline in the back of your truck is not the time to cheap out on cans that can leak or spark.

They do look like the good ones that's for sure. A person would have to keep that locked up somewhere or someone would steal it.

You can buy brackets for them that bolt to the bed of your truck and can be locked. That's what I use. They stay in there year round

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
4X4Dodger wrote:
The best Gas Can is the ALL Metal NATO gas can. It will not leak. The old style WWII ones with the wide mouth leak, especially under pressure.

In my opinion Plastic cans should be avoided. The plastic can attract static electricity which if sparked can be a big problem. This is usually true with the cheapest ones.

Nato Gas Cans

When you are carrying 40 liters of gasoline in the back of your truck is not the time to cheap out on cans that can leak or spark.

They do look like the good ones that's for sure. A person would have to keep that locked up somewhere or someone would steal it.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II

Nato Gas Cans

Briand
Explorer
Explorer
Two people posted links to proper jerrycans. Metal, with detachable spout. Anything plastic is a price compromise.
'97 F-350, CC, PSD
'02 NL, Ten2000 RD

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had 5 gallon plastic cans, but "retired" them. I found I couldn't pour them very well since they were fairly heavy for me. I now use 2.5 gal plastic can. For me, they work much better.

I also carry them in one of those black heavy plastic pans used for mixing cement, that I got at either Lowe's or Home Depot. That way, even if they do leak, it's contained.

I also have a approx 6 gal flat tank that I use for extended runs on either one or both 2K Hondas, depending on whether I need AC or not.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I've never had a problem with the plastic ones leaking, but the flow is horrendous. It's pretty easy to modify them to get a faster flow. I've found that plastic race fuel cans to be a good alternative. They normally have a faster flow and a flexible spout.

You can't beat a good quality NATO jerry can with a spout. The cans last forever. Pay attention to the seams and price of the can. If the seams stick out then you can be almost certain that it's a low quality can that will fail on you in no time. Look for seams that are recessed. Real NATO cans are designed to sit flush with each other. The price should be around $50 or higher for the good quality ones. Well worth the money.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I like the jerry cans for transport over distance. I have a bunch of motor boat cans but save them for boating, don't want to mess up the hose connector ends. I also have a few old style plastic cans with pour spouts. I threw away the sealing disks when I found out a plastic shopping bag on the spout opening with the spout ring screwed back down prevents any leakage.
For someone traveling off road and wanting a fool proof system of transporting gas, the Rotopav system is really good.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
llberge wrote:
Tom_M, your links to the green Jerry cans say that they are not for gas. Is that just to cover the law? I know that some states do not allow gas in any container that is not red.
I bought one of the 20 liter cans from Rover Parts about 4 years ago. The "Not to be used for fuel" is just lawyer speak. My can still does not leak a drop.

Here's what Wikipedia says: Jerrycan
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wrenchbender wrote:
Iam old school,I just use a plastic 3 gal outboard motor tank, its flat, easy to store and I just carry a funnel.Rides nicely in the back of my truck.

Boy, this sure sounds like a good option too.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352 wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
This is the best can for safety and ease of use. I keep a couple of these in the back of my truck at all times.

Bruce

X2 The round base is great it does not tip over. I have been using this type of gas can for years. Once I got one I would never go back to anything else. The round base is priceless!

I don't have to carry gas around in my pickup but, yes the new safety cans sucks so bad that I throw the spout away, or break it in such a way that it will still pour. The one listed in the post above looks like a good and safe option.