cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM 6 liter vortec what are you towing with it?

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you towing with your 6 liter 2500hd or 3500hd?
What’s the gvwr of your trailer and how’s the towing experience?
I tow an Arctic Fox 25r with my 2015 2500hd 6 liter vortec. Trailer weighs about 9,000 lbs loaded. I’m happy with it’s performance and reliability for the most part. Throughout the mountain west, It’s averaging 8 mpg per 400 miles. It goes over Donner Summit in CA at 60mph towing. Handles comfortably while towing. But………
I’m considering a 30’ 5th wheel that weighs about 12,000 lbs. No doubt a diesel would handle it better. Would I be miserable towing a 12k 5’er with my 6 liter gasser?
19 REPLIES 19

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
Some people would be miserable with that setup, others wouldn't mind it. Smart thing to do is upgrade the trailer and see how the setup works. If you're fine with it, cool. If not, pick your favorite diesel and enjoy - if we're talking new model diesels, I'd personally pick a Ram or GM.

X2 on all points. As Marty mentions there are also offsetting factors like wind resistance. You won't kill the 6.0 trying.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Some people would be miserable with that setup, others wouldn't mind it. Smart thing to do is upgrade the trailer and see how the setup works. If you're fine with it, cool. If not, pick your favorite diesel and enjoy - if we're talking new model diesels, I'd personally pick a Ram or GM.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blt2ski
Something to think about, EVERY RV hauler thru the approx 20 yrs I've posted on here, has mentioned non slide 5w trailers with smooth fiberglassed walls get the best mpg for a given wt. Worst is a TT with corrugated aluminum siding. Best aerodynamic setup vs worst!
With this said, power wise, I'd be surprised if the 6.0 could not pull a 10-12k lb trailer over most freeway, st highway type roads. As also noted, take into account HP loss for elevation. You WILL go slower at higher elevations.
Chassis wise, a 3500 be it diesel or gas, assuming same payload etc, will generally speaking handle the trailer the same. Power wise, diesel will win generally speaking due to a turbo at elevations etc. Depending upon how many miles you tow at elevation, for me that is around 6000 ft or higher, will depend upon if I need to spend the PREMIUM for the diesel.
For me any how, I would not spend extra on a diesel, the 6.0 with a properly speed low aerodynamic trailer will work fine in 80-90+%, of the situations I get into.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a 32' TT toyhauler with ours, at a bit over 10K# when loaded with toys and water, it handles it well, although I wouldn't want to go much heavier as towing comfort will spiral down to where I would have much disdain even hitching her up.

Our Chevy Silverado HD2500 with over 3.2K# of payload capacity (label on door frame) has plenty of power, and we don't mind letting her rev up into the power band. Still a 12K# 5er would be more than I would take on, especially here in the mountain west.

Virtually every where we go we are at high elevation detracting approx. 3% of engine power for every 1K' elevation, we average 20% derated engine performance making it all that more difficult, anything more than 12K# would certainly hasten wear and tear.

We did think about going with a 5er when shopping a couple of years go, and we did find some nice light 5ers to fit the bill that were 10K-11K gvwr, we don't shop by so called dryweights, particularly when a gasser tow vehicle is involved.

My DW prefers flat floorplans so we decided to keep TT toyhauler for RV adventures that lead us off road, and purchased a used class A more suited for couples living and extended stays. Our Silverado is in good condition, getting a heavier 5er would require getting a new truck sooner than later.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
First, handling and power are just about mutually exclusive.
It will handle different. Better in some ways. Likely require additional rear suspension to handle pin weight though.
Power?
Higher profile and 25% heavier, the venerable LS motor and 6 speed you have will run all day long. But you won’t pull grades as fast.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold