Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM Planning larger gas engine than the 6.6L

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
This ought to be interesting.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/02/gm-planning-new-engine-larger-than-new-6-6l-v8-l8t/

Well over 8 liters, that is a lot of motor.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1
15 REPLIES 15

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Is it because of the Ford 7.3 gas engine?

Probably not because of the 7.3, but for the same reason the 7.3 is supposed to be the optimal size for heavy duty use.

Looks like technology is catching up with big bore cylinders. Engines like the Ford 460 and 8.1 GM died back when because they were dirty(think polluting) engines.

V-10's came about because of extra smaller bore cylinders that were easier to control for pollution.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:

Probably not because of the 7.3, but for the same reason the 7.3 is supposed to be the optimal size for heavy duty use.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
As the owner of a 9.4 liter engine there is no way in hell I would have this engine in a truck or MH or whatever.

Just to give you guys an idea how much gas this thing can use:

Just to warm this engine up to 180 degrees for a run= 1 gallon of gas!

To make a 1/4 mile run with burnout and return= 1.25 gallons of gas!

Now I know my engine does not have CD; but still. You better have a fuel tanker in back of you if you plan to tow with this engine!

I'll stick with my old oil burner!

You usually have very spot-on technical comments but this time you're being a little silly. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The amount of fuel burned is dependent upon the effort demanded plus any waste heat. Larger displacement engines doing the same work as smaller ones don't necessarily need to burn more fuel to do it.

If you used your 9.4L engine to tow you'd need one heck of a heavy trailer, a really steep hill or both to keep up that burn rate.

Yes, diesel has more BTU's so will always win the fuel economy debate. I could point you at some modified diesel pulling tractors that can chew through the fuel too.

Also, burning that much gas in a 1/4 mile sounds like a blast!

Point well taken....But:

My point was if you use a big engine for small power it's inefficient because of ring drag, bearing drag, cam drag and all of the rest of the stuff.

If you use a big engine for big power you are going to use a LOT of gasoline! Ask me how I know! LOL

My oil burner puts out 360 HP and with the trailer I pull (11K)I can go WOT on many, many mountains for minutes at a time. When I do this it uses a LOT of diesel! And that is with a diesel that gets 30% better mileage than a gasoline engine.

Now make that a gasoline engine that gets 30% less fuel mileage and then make that engine 425 HP or 475 HP or whatever. This thing is going to use more fuel than an F15 on after burner!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow a gas engine bigger than 8 liters? Oh wait, I already have one....

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
As the owner of a 9.4 liter engine there is no way in hell I would have this engine in a truck or MH or whatever.

Now I know my engine does not have CD; but still. You better have a fuel tanker in back of you if you plan to tow with this engine!

You usually have very spot-on technical comments but this time you're being a little silly. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The amount of fuel burned is dependent upon the effort demanded plus any waste heat. Larger displacement engines doing the same work as smaller ones don't necessarily need to burn more fuel to do it.

If you used your 9.4L engine to tow you'd need one heck of a heavy trailer, a really steep hill or both to keep up that burn rate.

Yes, diesel has more BTU's so will always win the fuel economy debate. I could point you at some modified diesel pulling tractors that can chew through the fuel too.

Also, burning that much gas in a 1/4 mile sounds like a blast!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Farmerkev
Explorer
Explorer
With the IMO 2020 hitting and expected diesel price hikes coming Janurary next year gas will probably be the winner in low cost per mile even in larger engines.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well thatโ€™s cool! Iโ€™m looking forward in seeing how the 6.6 will do. Iโ€™m interested in that truck in the future. Iโ€™m sure the big block will be used commercially in the 4500 series and above, plus RV motor coaches as well. Like all the LS series engines it will be a good one.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Makes a lot of sense as we are seeing commercial vehicles transition from diesel to gas.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I think in the mid2000's when the 8.1 was available the take rate was low. However now that diesels have gotten more complex, expensive and due to that complexity less reliable, the gas options is more appealing then it used to be.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
ParkCountry wrote:
Wasn't it about 20 years ago that GM had an 8.1 Gas engine that they put in their pickups? A guy I worked with bought one for hauling his 5th Wheel and he really liked it. For some reason, though, GM discontinued it. Might've been the poor fuel economy.

I have a 2002 with the 8.1... LOVE IT...
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't it about 20 years ago that GM had an 8.1 Gas engine that they put in their pickups? A guy I worked with bought one for hauling his 5th Wheel and he really liked it. For some reason, though, GM discontinued it. Might've been the poor fuel economy.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big GM V8, clicky of link above

It seems like it is aimed at Class 7 trucks. My guess more specifically garbage trucks and delivery trucks used in big cities and using CNG for fuel. You lose about 20% of your power with CNG so the bigger engine is needed.