cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going off road

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Being a new guy to the TC world, I have a few questions.

I have been looking through the camper pictures and see a lot of you off road.

Are you ever afraid of turning over with all that weight on top?
I don't yet know how much my rig can safely slant.

How about going on the beach? I have four wheel drive but weigh about 10,000 lbs. Ever been bad stuck?

Anybody ever been on Padre Island in Texas?

Thanks for the help.
Michael
40 REPLIES 40

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
SALTYDOG5435S-TEX wrote:
And now my rant about the trash on the beach. I donot know how many post I have read about the trash on the beach. It comes from the ocean. PINS is at a curve in the shore line and what happens to your cell phone when you take a sharp curve? That is why the garbage collects there.

I would guess that only about 50% of the trash at best was from the ocean. These were clean beer bottles and cardboard boxes that you could still read. Piles of bottles don't usually wash up on shore in groups. But I'm still glad we went. It is awesome just driving down the beach with NOTHING around except a few hardy souls. We did wake up one morning and the tide was past our campsite. That was freaky. We had to round up our orange garbage bags.:S
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Arktikos
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I have been offroad, but it depends on your definition of offroad. I've been all over National Forest roads in WA. Mostly, they don't have a lot of variation side to side. I'd say not more than a foot in most cases. It hasn't been a problem for me because I really wouldn't want my dishes etc to be tossed about. I just go slower. More commonly, it's about crossing a deep run that is perpendicular or nearly perpendicular to the road in this part of the country. Besides that, there are severely washboarded roads at times.

In WA, people get stuck on the beaches with all kinds of vehicles. I haven't been stuck yet but I've also seen Class As and Fifth wheels in the same areas. Lose sand is not your friend but packed sand isn't so bad.

Several of my uncles are farmers and most have bent their frames hauling hay on canted hills. I think you should try to avoid that unless you have one of the lightest popups like a shell of a Four Wheel Camper or similar.

Just got back from your state and had fun on the eastern side of the Cascades on the backcountry. Beautiful! Yeah beach sand scares me a little to drive on. Part of the reason is our 20 foot tide here which is a major problem if you get stuck on a low tide. This happened to my step son with his new Jeep and before he could find help it was completely submerged and thankfully the insurance totaled it and he got his money back. Lessons of youth!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been offroad, but it depends on your definition of offroad. I've been all over National Forest roads in WA. Mostly, they don't have a lot of variation side to side. I'd say not more than a foot in most cases. It hasn't been a problem for me because I really wouldn't want my dishes etc to be tossed about. I just go slower. More commonly, it's about crossing a deep run that is perpendicular or nearly perpendicular to the road in this part of the country. Besides that, there are severely washboarded roads at times.

In WA, people get stuck on the beaches with all kinds of vehicles. I haven't been stuck yet but I've also seen Class As and Fifth wheels in the same areas. Lose sand is not your friend but packed sand isn't so bad.

Several of my uncles are farmers and most have bent their frames hauling hay on canted hills. I think you should try to avoid that unless you have one of the lightest popups like a shell of a Four Wheel Camper or similar.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
So sad to hear about the trash on Padre Island. We used to go to South Padre in the early 60s -- absolutely pristine beaches, great surf fishing, clear water, no people.

Not anymore - on the return trip from Fla, we stopped in SPI - whatta disaster - more high rise condos and hotels than anything else.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
We're at 4000kg loaded on the Unimog. We use the widest tires we can find (Michellin 445's) to offset shifty ground - like sand. The truck has front and rear winches, 3kw generator, extra fuel and LP tanks - basically everything you need for remote living.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Outstanding video c.traveler2!!!!!!!

I've seen several others from yours and Jefe's trips into the wild. This was a new one for me, and much enjoyed!

Thank you!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sad to hear about the trash on Padre Island. We used to go to South Padre in the early 60s -- absolutely pristine beaches, great surf fishing, clear water, no people.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
zulu52 wrote:
anutami wrote:
zulu52 wrote:
How did you lose the camper?
What kind of tiedown system did it have?

Click Here

Wow!
That was a learning experience!
Glad no one was hurt.
Michael

See, Zulu52, there is a wealth of information found here from many of the new posters and especially from those that have been around a long time. Glad you brought the topic up, Zulu52. Again, welcome to the group. A lot of great people here, and at least one grump.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even this has the CoG very high, IMHO. Unless jefe loaded the camper with very heavy items in the upper cabinets (unlikely), the orange and blue lines should probably intersect below the roof line of the truck cab, showing he's not even close to the tipping point.

I agree, but there are so many factors involved, I wanted to leave plenty of a safety margin for the inexperienced. The way I described it will have most folk puckering without much chance of going over. I have had mine over a lot more too but probably not nearly as far as Jefe. It is one of those things one learns to do but takes a good sense of balance and not being swayed by the surroundings. Serious off-roaders like Jefe and myself learned with our jeeps. And have been there when jeeps have gone too far which adds greatly to the learning curve.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
zulu52 wrote:

Click Here

Wow!
That was a learning experience!
Glad no one was hurt.
Michael

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
zulu52 wrote:

Click Here
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer

Bedlam
The truck stayed on its wheels - He didn't roll the truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ajcal225
Explorer
Explorer
I feel somewhat certain that at least partially counts as rolling it..