cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good TV truck brakes

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been pulling travel trailers for almost twenty years now, and yesterday for the first time forgot to plug in the cable from the truck to the trailer.
Fortunately when we are at a camp site, I always keep it wrapped around my tongue jack and handle, so it didn't suffer any damage.
The trailer is a 25 footer. 5000 pound one.
I never even noticed that I was unplugged until about fifteen miles away, after stopping at red lights and various interchanges.
While driving it all of a sudden dawned on me that I couldn't recall plugging so pulled over in a safe spot.
The truck is a new 2014 Dodge Ram so I guess it has good brakes, (or used to have good ones)

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
18 REPLIES 18

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
I am always amazed when people say things like, "I don't hook up my brakes but we don't travel far." Acknowledging that caveman Charlie does have his hooked up, do these people think that they might never have an emergency braking situation close to home? Are there intersections in their neighborhood? Do they ever get up to highway speeds in 50 miles from home? Kind of like saying I don't need to fasten my seatbelt because I'm only going to the grocery store.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
There are too many bells and whistles to miss it in my truck. I do the hookup, my wife checks my work while I run through the checklist on the truck computer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
WDP wrote:
Safety FIRST, full trailer exterior light check then running brake test,every hook up, no chance to miss a connection issue.

WDP

My wife and I do this every time we hookup, just before we leave.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of the reasons I like my Prodigy P3. The screen on the front flashes with a red warning saying "No Trailer Connection!" I haven't yet forgotten to connect the plug to the truck, but if I did or if it came apart while I was driving or if there was some other type of continuity problem, I would know right away because I can always see my P3 within my peripheral vision.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

WDP
Explorer
Explorer
Safety FIRST, full trailer exterior light check then running brake test,every hook up, no chance to miss a connection issue.

WDP

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I too missed the plug in once, but tore the cord in the campground while driving out of the lot.
Solved the problem for good by wiring a small marker light into the turn signal circuit and mounting them on the front of the 5th wheel in sight of the rear view mirrors. Every time I use the turn signal or brake the lights come on. I know I'm plugged in all the time with a quick look in the mirrors.

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
Great experience, as you will probably never do it again.

Don't ask me how I know.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to lock down the ball on my pop-up.

Thank God for luck and safety chains. I brought it to a halt in less time than it takes to tell the story.

It makes one check, double check, and then check again.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ The trailer is a 25 footer. 5000 pound one.
I never even noticed that I was unplugged until about fifteen miles away, after stopping at red lights and various interchanges. โ€œ

JMHO here...

This would suggest to me the trailer brakes are not working correctlyโ€ฆ it wouldnโ€™t be possible, to not be able to notice the difference of the additional 5000 pound trailer under normal highway braking conditions, with any TV, unless all stops in the 15 miles were really low speed stopsโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Many of my friends don't even have the breaks hooked up on there trailers. But, we have smaller trailers and don't go far from home. Mine are hooked up but, I will admit they don't work as good as I would like them too.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My wife likes to double check my work, she knows me all too well. That is why I like the little green light on the brake controler.

This works for me as well. And, if something is missed, it's HER FAULT (not me). LOL!!!

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChooChooMan74 wrote:

4) Didn't do a running brake test using the manual trailer brake.

I do this every time and clear the are at the console where the contoller is located. DW didn't want to give up her cup holder 'til I explained why I needed to be able to reach the doohickey.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I see many failures here that scare me.

1) Didn't double check the hitch work
2) Didn't do a light check
3) Didn't check the brake controller connection status
4) Didn't do a running brake test using the manual trailer brake.

Four opportunities to have caught. this potentially deadly situation.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My wife likes to double check my work, she knows me all too well.

That is why I like the little green light on the brake controler.

My wife likes to double check most things I do as well. What we found to be very helpful is the "Check it again" checklist app on the iphone. I put in all the steps for arriving and departing and check it off each task as I complete them. Then, my wife goes through with the same checklist and checks it again. Since we started doing this, we have done pretty well. Almost lost the tv antennae on our first trip with our first TT ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x 6 speed manual. (Future TOAD?)
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS (Sold)