cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD truck tire pressure when empty

estesbubba
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up my Ram 3500 SRW yesterday morning and of course it's been raining ever since. Good news is I've had a lot of time reading all the manuals, watching DVD, and sitting inside customizing it. I will say the customizeable dashboard is way cool!

The tires came from the factory at 70 PSI. The door sticker says 65 front and 80 rear which I'm guessing is full load. My 2006 Dodge had both empty and full loaded PSI but this new truck doesn't.

What do you guys set your trucks PSI at for empty driving? I thought about 65 all around, maybe even less in the rears.

So far this truck is smoother than my 2006 2500 on average to good roads but once you hit a bad road it's a little rougher.
--Bubba

2008 Keystone Cougar 291RLS 5er
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with 6.7L Cummins

Our Website
21 REPLIES 21

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For a empty tire pressure on a HD pickup ....for my use much depends on the tire size/load range/wheel width/tread type/size and weight of the HD pickup/etc.

I've always kept a weight ticket in all of my trucks over the years. Having owned nine different one ton DRW trucks/one SRW truck and six 250/2500 size trucks each one required a different psi.

My current '98 gaz guzzler 454 3500 DRW chevy CC 4x4 with LT225/75-16 D all terrain tires/OEM wheels ride and wear best at 45 psi in the rears and 75 psi in the front.

My 2wd 2500 Dodge/Cummins with OEM wheels and OEM LT265/70-17 E all terrain wear and ride best at 45 psi in the rear and 65-68 psi under the front axle.

Some of my other trucks had non OEM wheels so I would run a chalk line test on those tires a few times to find the best ride/wear when empty.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I keep fronts @ 70 and rears @ 65 when running around town empty. My reasoning is fronts are carrying engine weight and rears have no real load on them when box is empty. Max pressure 80 all around when towing. Full pressure when empty makes ride a little harsher and I notice more of a tendency to spin tires when raining/wet. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I just bought those tires and wheels for my Dodge. Running 40 rear and 50 front, good ride quality empty.
Warning you will have to get your TPMS threshold reprogrammed in order to run lower pressure without the idiot light coming on. It will come on a little below 70 for the rears.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Set them whatever you set your 06 at if you were comfortable with the ride.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
I set my duallies tires at 80PSI when I bought it new. Been thst way since 2007 with no noticable wear. I hate changing pressure every time I plan on hauling, so set for max load and dont worry about it.

Got any teeth left or they all get rattled out by now lol?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I set my duallies tires at 80PSI when I bought it new. Been thst way since 2007 with no noticable wear. I hate changing pressure every time I plan on hauling, so set for max load and dont worry about it.

estesbubba
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture of it I took during a dry time yesterday. The Maximum Steel Metallic looks awesome when clean and in the sun - neither of which is happening here.

--Bubba

2008 Keystone Cougar 291RLS 5er
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with 6.7L Cummins

Our Website