cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help...6.7 CTD smoking (update: Cracked injector)

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
Took the truck out for the 4th of July on a long haul and now my truck is blowing white smoke during acceleration. I'm completely stock and don't abuse my truck. All fluids and gauges look good. What could cause this?
2018 Ford F-350 XLT, 6.7 Powerstroke ๐Ÿ˜„
46 REPLIES 46

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
tdst51 wrote:
This is what I was told a long time ago. I'm not even close to being a mechanic, but here it is. Probably way more complicated than I realize.

1. White smoke- steam, or water related
2. Blue smoke- oil
3. Black smoke- gas/fuel
Yep, that is correct.

Not even close.

Look at these runaways running on oil.

I blew a turbo seal once and I never seen so much pretty white smoke in your life!

Here is a stuck injector

Blown head gasket

The only way I can tell these apart is the smell. Easy to tell if it's fuel, oil or coolant from the smell.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
tdst51 wrote:
This is what I was told a long time ago. I'm not even close to being a mechanic, but here it is. Probably way more complicated than I realize.

2. Blue smoke- oil
3. Black smoke- gas/fuel

Yep, that is correct.

In the case of diesels, white smoke can mean a rich diesel fuel mixture. For older diesels can happens when you have a very plugged air filter, for all diesels, can happen with a stuck fuel injector or just a cold start with incomplete combustion in some cases.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
tdst51 wrote:

2. Blue smoke- oil
3. Black smoke- gas/fuel

White smoke is also from unburnt diesel. The in-laws' farm 80's Freightliner (Cummins 350) cranks out a ton of it until it warms up.

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
Are you making oil? (Oil level going up) Are you loosing coolant?

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
tdst51 wrote:

2. Blue smoke- oil
3. Black smoke- gas/fuel
Yep, that is correct.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer

2. Blue smoke- oil
3. Black smoke- gas/fuel
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
Man that's crazy....... I have 150,000 miles on mine and they are still fine. I don't have any beefed up fuel filtration either it's all stock. I wonder if you got some bad fuel

I'm pretty sure it's not the fuel but I guess you never know. When traveling I was obviously getting diesel from unfamiliar sources but they were high volume stations. I don't use additives so I know that's not it either.

It looks like the shop is not able to get to my truck until early next week. I guess we'll see what they say. Hopefully they know what they're doing. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Wouldn't fuel with enough water to ruin injectors trip the water in fuel warning?

Yes and no.

If an unscrupulous station owner has some water in his tanks all he has to do is dump some emulsification agent in his tanks to deal with it.

Also some ignorant truck owners dump additives in their tanks not knowing what they contain or what they do. If they happen to get ahold of an additive that has an emulsification agent in it the water will slide right through the filter like no filter at all.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another possibility is that you got some gasoline into the system. There would be no warning light but the damage is just as serious as water.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't fuel with enough water to ruin injectors trip the water in fuel warning?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
Man that's crazy....... I have 150,000 miles on mine and they are still fine. I don't have any beefed up fuel filtration either it's all stock. I wonder if you got some bad fuel

I was thinking the same thing. Bad fuel. Mind you, not arguing at all with what your mechanic says.

But, my only experience with white smoke was on my 2006 Dodge Ram w/Cummins. Got bad fuel and sure enough, white smoke. Cleared up after I refueled at another trusted source for fuel.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

krsmitty
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
That's really sad that a 2014 already needs injectors. Maybe you got some bad fuel or the fuel filter/separator isn't doing it's job?

Ask your insurance company about a rental vehicle, if you have full coverage with roadside assistance.

Water in the fuel can do a number on injectors.
Ken Smith
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 Big horn 4x4 6.7 CTD
2020 Grand Design Reflection 287RLTS

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
That's really sad that a 2014 already needs injectors. Maybe you got some bad fuel or the fuel filter/separator isn't doing it's job?

Ask your insurance company about a rental vehicle, if you have full coverage with roadside assistance.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
Well it looks like you guys were right. Mechanic said its likely the injectors. They won't know more until he gets into it. Bottom line is I'll be without my truck for a few days. I guess there's others ahead of me waiting for some work. I'm more upset that they won't give me loaner in the mean time.