cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with payload numbers

rcp123
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got a new 2016 GMC Denial 3500 SRW Diesel. According to the brochure it has a payload of 4080lbs.

We are looking to get a Sandpiper 372lok which has a pin weight of 2474 and GVWR of 15,500.

We are a family of 4 and have been camping for many years. The 5er has a CCC of 2538#, but I really never see using going near that number. We have never came near it yet, and as our kids grow, their toys are get in much lighter (now iPads vs lots kids toys), so I don't see things getting any heavier.

But I want to be realistic.

Before we get our hopes to high, is my new truck capable of safely hauling this 5er.

Thanks for all your input,

Cheers,
Ryan
Ryan & Jessica
2 Kids
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
See one of these threads every other day. You'll get reccomendations for duallies all day long and they're more stable but necessary is a matter of opinion.
Diesel doesn't hurt rear axle load. Engine is in front contrary to what the weight cops on here say.
You couldn't have picked a more capable truck. Have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given a RGAWR of 7050 lbs, you should be ok. I tow a 16K Bighorn loaded for full timing with a RAM 3500 SRW and have weighed it several times. I have the truck heavily loaded and 270 pounds of picture frame and manual slider.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
The diesel will have a lower payload limit due to weight of the engine. Without going into a long dissertation, i think your in dually territory with your large family and trailer your looking at. Just my opinion. I think you may already know that. You seem to know the weights well. Go by the yellow door jamb sticker payload limit and subtract from there. Good luck. You're smart to ask here first. Hope all works out for you.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
A 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Crew with 8 ft bed with Duramax has a payload of 3565.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others mentioned check your door tag, the brochure might mention 4000lbs but is that equipped the same way as yours? add a diesel engine and the cargo capacity goes down.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Irdew
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer dry weight does not include water, propane, battery's, factory options and any options you may add such as a/c, generator etc. And because the storage compartments of the rv are in the front most of the weight of your stuff goes on the truck. It's all math.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Look on the door jamb for the cargo rating sticker. Chances are it's not 4080 lbs. Then subtract your family's weight from that number. Now subtract the 5th hitch weight from that number. Now subtract the gear that you may put into the truck (Firewood, tools, etc).
Thats the weight you have left for the loaded pin of the 5th wheel. No one knows how much you'll load into the front of the 5th wheel so thats on you to figure out.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
3400 pounds for pin, 150 for hitch, 500 for family, 500 for the upscale trim comes out to roughly 4550 pounds in a truck rated to haul 4000 pounds. Yea, I dont see any problems at all. :h

blt2ski
How big are you and kids? If I take my spouse, myself and 2 of 4 smallest kids, or two biggest as teens, I have 800-900 lbs of people, Add into that the 150 lbs of hitch, 3000 lbs of hw, plus other assorted odds and ends, I am over 4000 lbs of payload needed. I should also point out, I pulled a 6500-7000 lbs TT with my family of 6, 2 alaskan malamutes, rack, canoe etc, and was typically 200-800 over the manufacture gvwr, but below ALL axel limits, and most importantly, the registered gvw of the truck. with NO white knuckle driving experiences just driving...
BUT, with this said.....a dually may be the better option if you are going to put bikes in the forward part of the bed, maybe a generator etc. You could easily need upwards of 5000 lbs of payload.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You need to look at the payload sticker on your truck, rather than the brochure number.

Your truck will be borderline for payload, with loaded pin weight of that FW, and family/gear in the truck. Using Old-Biscuits example, you should be under RAWR/tire ratings (most important), towing that FW, especially if not loading it to full GVWR.

The scales will tell the final numbers, but unfortunately it is hard to know the FW loaded pin wt until after the purchase. JMO, but I think this FW will work for you, especially if not loaded to 15,500 GVWR.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a 2016 3500 SRW with a payload of 4080# (is that what door sticker lists---Yellow sticker with 'Tire and Loading Information'

It will list YOUR trucks payload (Cargo Carrying Capacity)

15,500 GVWR 5th wheel.....
Using a 22% pin weight-----3410#

Your truck is quite capable of 'carrying' that pin weight
Check trucks RAWR and Rear Tire Max Load Ratings
Weighing truck fully loaded and camp ready is always best so you have real world numbers to work with

No need to look for a 13,000# 5th wheel

I tow 14K with my old 2007 3500 and am not over RAWR/Rear Tire Load witha 3000# wet pin weight
And my 2007 has lower ratings then your 2016
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pin weight number you listed is DRY not loaded ready to travel. Double that number and you will be far closer to an actual pin weight. Load the family up with everything you can think of and drive across a set of scales. I would be suprised if you dont weigh around 8000 pounds. Meaning your real life payload including a hitch will be around 3000 pounds. But you also have to understand a fivers pin weight, what ever it turns out to be is placed directly over the rear axle. Which is based on your rear tires load rating. Glad your asking first, but I would suggest you start looking at fiver with GVWR around 13,000 pounds.