cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HEY GENERATOR............SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

23hitman
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a portable Briggs & Straton 5000 watt generator. Affordable and highly ranked for durability. Downside? Everyone on the park can hear it.

Anyone run into this?
Anyone know of an added muffler mod/add on/Harbor Freight device?

Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful about adding an extra muffler. Sometimes those small engines will not work correctly with any additional muffling, usually meaning exhaust resistance.

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Supergen website. They feature Champion generators and they have custom sound enclosures for them.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 10 hp briggs gen. I made a muffler, enclosure and still wished it was in the next county when I had to start it. We've been running our Yamaha for over 8 yrs now. I had to replace the battery once, I do like elec start. It uses 1/3 the gas the briggs used.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
take it back and tell 'em you want a QUIET one. The Lord will bless you for it, and so will all your camping neighbors.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've never camped by someone with a 5K B&S gen-set. You know its loud, so run it when it won't disturb people. Noon or midnight depending on where you are should work...........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If they won't take it back (which I think they will) check out some "marine" stores. Have seen some after market exhaust systems for sailboats that make it quieter. For starters and not sure is
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategories1_11151_10001_-1 but are a lot others.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
There are ways to reduce sound by building an enclosure but you need to sound baffle and provide sufficient cooling using a radiator fan or such. I went with solar, I hate generators

ReferDog
Explorer
Explorer
Get rid of it before you are hurt or tossed out of the park!
ReferDog 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Dura Max
Artic Fox 30U

Equlizer Hitch

mrhddh
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately a battery with a bad cell caused me to have to break out my Coleman generator this weekend. Used it sparingly and made sure that it was well shielded by vegetation. I did not want to be "that" camper. We did hear another generator "purring" nearby. Had to look for it. Found a Honda 2000 sitting in the middle of a campsite. Yeah, it's small, but it was doing exactly what the owner intended, and was not irritating a bunch of people while doing it.
2006 Cougar 290EFS
2006 Dodge CTD 4X2 2500 QuadCab
SWMBO
Pippa & Dirk-the-Dog
I used to be amazed....now I'm just amused.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
sadly affordable is typically inversely proportional to quiet where generators are concerned. If you felt the generator was loud, then everybody else around surely felt the same and there is very little you can do to quiet a loud generator short of shutting it off. If you can return it...I would. Spend more on a Honda or Yamaha, or if they are too far out of your budget then ask for suggestions on some of the more reasonably priced units.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no. Get rid of it. Ask us before buying something next time! B&S is the loudest of the loud!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's not just the exhaust, the engine itself is super noisy and there's very little you can do about that.