cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit a bump and lost my transmission

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Tundra 155k . Tows a 7k TT. I hit a bump on highway, felt a jerk and then it went into limp mode. Towed it home and all i could smell was burnt oil.
Aamco rebuilt it and promptly a tree fell on it . So now geico has totalled the truck and offering 17k. ...anyway crazy i cannot find anything close to this price for the 10 days i use the truck in a year.I did put brand new tires and brakes before it.

The buy back is 4800 and i am thinking of keeping it as the damage is all cosmetic. nothing mechanical.
I think its a good decision but i have no experience with a rebuilt transmission . Not a factory rebuilt . those were like 8k, so just aamco rebuilt with a new valve body on it. 18k/ 1.5 year warranty just started.

looking for some input rebuilt transmission .Also someone to tell me letting go is a better idea.
i have a jeep wrangler , 2 motorcycles for my personal use [been working from home for 4yr to one or two work trips a year]. My wife has a ford explorer and jetta [work mileage car] . so the truck is used maybe 10-15 days for towing.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition
30 REPLIES 30

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^Who says?
Yes prices are higher but it’s not like they’re gold.
Besides, OP has enough info already. He doesn’t “need” the truck for the winter. He can dump it and not maximize his roi or he can get it fixed, drive the hell out of it and then decide if he wants to sell it in a week, month or 10 years from now.
He’s got the options, this thread needs to die before it gets so far into the weeds.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You folks are not taking into consideration the current vehicle supply situation. There was an approximate 3-month period where nothing was being built.

At least the perception is, there is a shortage of trucks on the market. That pushes prices up.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
silverfz wrote:
Geigo started with 15k and after neg I was able to get 17k.

Broaden your search toward the midwest and south. Yes the truck market is hot, but I'm certain you can find something much newer with less miles for well under $25K.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I do live in the north east with salt but the truck is stored all winter in my heated garage . There is no rust in the body as it was part of the recall so toyota sprayed some stuff . One door has 2 spots of rust.

Mechanically its very sound as really it was a summer towing vehicle.
2014 avenger 28 bhs

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I do live in the north east with salt but the truck is stored all winter in my heated garage . There is no rust in the body as it was part of the recall so toyota sprayed some stuff . One door has 2 spots of rust.

Mechanically its very sound as really it was a summer towing vehicle.
2014 avenger 28 bhs

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
for 10 day a year use, if the basic vehicle is still good I would just fix up and keep if it meets all your needs. Its simple for folks to say "buy" but they dont make the payments etc. Yes newer vehicles will make ya feel better except for payments etc. I have 16 year old F350, runs fine and is long paid for. Not interested in anything newer as this is now our travel vehicle since we dont have a TT any more and the daily use cars are 1 used as a towed behind the rv, wifes is a 20 YO accord for around town only. my DD is a 94 ranger which I plan to add baseplates and use to carry the small boat when we tow behind the rv.

So if it will meet your needs for it intended purpose fix or just get rid of. Said it will cost you 4K or so to buy back and you were offered 6K by a shop so figure out what up with that. If they will pay that much then it must be worthwhile to fix??

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be concerned with the rebuilt. Just dropping the valve body out a popping a new one in is not a rebuild. Nope transmission ,needs to be diassembled and cleaned,cleaned,cleaned.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
In this current market you better off buying new with a warranty.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And if it is rusted out. Take the $17k, do the buyback deal with the body shop and hit the easy button for $18k.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Interesting conundrum.
First, body shop is offering you $6k because they’re going to make a pile of money off of it. You could too, if you want to dump it after fixing the body damage. And you have the cash from the settlement to do it.
Second $17k is a bit low. Quick check around here where vehicles DONT rust out is used car lots are around $19k for similar miles and age crew max trucks. Guessing you’re is clean and not a crusty barnacle from winter driving for the last 12 years? If so, that also brings a premium either settlement or when selling it, up in the salt belt.
I wouldn’t settle for less than $20k with insurance but realize buyback $ is generally a % of payout I think.
13 year old truck, going forward? That’s your call. We don’t know the actual condition mechanically and if it’s gonna be solid for 10 more years or not. But if getting a different vehicle, I would do it in this order.
Push for greater settlement. (Get your evidence together and don’t forget to add tax to the purchase price).
Buy back.
Fix the cosmetic damage.
Put up for sale and also have it to drive this winter if needed. If it sells, you’re not in a hurry to get a new one. Camping season is 6 months away still.

If it’s not rusted at all, you have a very marketable truck. Toyota, not a pile of miles, crew max and far less rusted than the average truck that age by you.

You may then decide to just pocket the “winnings” and keep the truck or have cash for a new truck or whatever else you are planning to spend it on.
Remember a dollar = a dollar no matter how it is saved or earned. So don’t think in terms of this $ goes to that thing. But rather how many dollars can I amass and how many will leave my account. Regardless of reasons.

BTW, if you were 2000 miles closer and truck no rusty, I’d give you a grand more than the body shop right now today! And then I’d add dollars to my account instead of you....
That truck is a prefect situation to capitalize on the situation.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
busterja21 wrote:
9k for an HD truck 7 years newer and 70k less miles doesn't sound too bad.

Send them receipts for the tires and tranny, also anything you added like a bedliner, radio, hitch, steps bars or anything else. When my truck was totaled, insurance added a portion of the price I had paid for tires a few months before + all add ons.

If you do the buyback, find out what's required in your state to re-title. You may have to do some repairs to pass inspection and get it re-titled.

The insurance company does not care about your costs for new tires and transmission service. The value of the vehicle already has a properly working and maintained vehicle built into the quote.

As far as add on's. That could be an area of negotiation if a separate declaration was not necessary to insure those items.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Admittedly prices are up but bought a 2008 F250 3yrs ago for $10k, so even with a 50% Rona premium, you should be able to find a good tow vehicle with your $17k.

I would move up to a 3/4 ton truck. No it's not technically needed but if towing is the primary purpose for having the truck, there isn't the compromise of dealing with it as a daily driver (not that I think there is much difference but people will argue...)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look harder. You can probably find a better truck than what you had for that $17K. You must be will to travel to get it, if that's what it takes. I paid $8K for my Ford 7.3 diesel with 95K miles on it. It will last me until I die. The GREAT deals don't last. You have to be ready to pounce, with cash.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of input and some questions.

The buy back is 4850 . The body shop that gave the quote to geico already offered me 6k to keep it and sell it to them either way I am buying back. The decision is do I sell to the body shop.

The truck is older and is outside of the salvage inspection process for Massachusetts. So I send the title and they issue a new one as owner retained . When I sell it , the new title will be previously owner retained. . This can be even fully insured .

A lot of body scratches and a big dent on the side of the bed. 2 small dent on hood. I am very surprised that it was totaled .
If I keep it.
New bed cover , the expensive metal one is gone,
Mirrors as one side is broken as well go tow mirrors.
Remove the massive dent on side of the bed
Leave the hood dents as it’s small
Have a body shop touch up or just bed spray the damage .

Again , I can still tow and do everything once I replace the mirror for now.

As far as Aamco goes it was a local shop which became the franchise and owned by same women plus with 1.5 yr warranty I am covered .

I really want a side by side or spend that money on a alps motorcycle trip or something. I am going to save and buy a truck cash in a year.
2014 avenger 28 bhs