cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy Eagle Cap Batman!

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I've wanted to weigh my Eagle Cap 1160 since I got it, but for the last couple months the DOT scale near my house has been closed. Well Sunday I was returning from a camping trip and saw it was back open, so I pulled in.

Either the scale is not in cert, or somebody's fibb'd about thier weight, because Holy Eagle C&AP Batman! I even emptied the fresh water before I left for home that morning. I didn't use much, so I didn't see the need to lug home the remainder of 75 gallons.

My truck empty as weighed in the past--
F 4,620
R 3,420
T 8,040

This weekend w/camper--
F 3,880
R 11,210
T 15,090
Camper net - 7,050 -- And that's with an emptied fresh water tank, very little in the black n grey, and only a small amount of food.

In comparison, my previous 2012 Arctic Fox 1150--
F 4,320
R 9,560
T 13,880
Camper net 5,840 -- Weighed wet with full water

That's 1,210lb difference - one with and one without water. Add 75 gallons of fresh water (7lbs per gal, 525lbs) and wow....
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
22 REPLIES 22

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
How much do your 6 batteries weigh and are they behind the axle? If Doug's COG is only one inch behind the axle something is really off with your setup to take so much off the front.

I don't have a generator, so that's why the extra batteries. They're 65lbs each. Most larger campers these days have 2 batteries and a generator. I added 4 to make up for not having one. So in the end, it's only slightly more weight than one equipped with a gen.
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boaty,

How much do your 6 batteries weigh and are they behind the axle? If Doug's COG is only one inch behind the axle something is really off with your setup to take so much off the front.

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
My 2013 Eagle Cap 1160 centre of gravity is less than 1 inch behind the centre of the rear axel.
The 1160 is a heavy camper, but with Super Springs Commercial 6000lb plus, Front Timbrens, Helliwig Big Wig Sway Bar, the Ram 3500 HO DRW lb crew rides without roll, and sits with no rear sag. All the tanks, water, grey & black are forward of the rear diff.
With Truck & Camper 1160 loaded, with personal items, food, fuel & water, I am averaging 13.25 miles per gallon at 65 miles per hour.
This is an automatic Cummins HO 6.7 litre diesel, with a 4.1 ratio diff.
Going away this weekend.
Excellent vehicle & camper.
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What tires are you running? I'm almost positive you've exceeded the "dual wheel" weight rating on most 16" and 17" stock DRW tires with 11,000+ on the rear axle.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:

The water tank is at the very front of the basement up against the truck bulkhead, so by me emptying it, that likely made up the majority of the unloading.

So can we assume while you are traveling, as your fresh tank empties and your black and gray tanks get fuller, the COG will get worse with more weight shifting to the rear and less towards the front, causing your ride and handling to become slowly worse??
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
A significant rearward shift in COG.
Experiencing much difference in handling?

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, that is heavy and as BILLTEX stated the camper weight should be inside the cabinet door.
What is your rear axle rated at?

How much lead did you add for ballast?
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
12V Cummins wrote:
The 1160 & 1165 are both very heavy campers. Yes COG is behind the rear axle, but what do you expect with a 11ft full basement camper? I give Eagle Cap credit for at least putting their COG on their campers unlike some other manufactures...

Yes...and each Eagle Cap is weighed as it leaves the factory.

Boatycall...what does your OEM sticker say for actual weight?
Should be posted inside cabinet.

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
The 1160 & 1165 are both very heavy campers. Yes COG is behind the rear axle, but what do you expect with a 11ft full basement camper? I give Eagle Cap credit for at least putting their COG on their campers unlike some other manufactures...

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have a question. I too had trouble with the readings, and then I went to Eagle Caps web site to have a look myself.

First I had a look at the 1165 model and found this page

And then I looked at the 1160 and found this page

Now it looks pretty obvious to someone looking at these two pages that the 1160 has it's center of gravity much closer to the front than the 1165.

Oh but "weight" a minute. Look carefully and you will see the two COG pictures are from opposite sides of the vehicle!! The overload bump stop is on the right in one picture, and on the left in the other!

In any case, they are showing a pic of a SRW truck and it's usable carrying load range. Both campers bear down behind the rear axle and will unload the front wheels and just what "options" or standard equipment comprise the dry weight?

HMMMMMMM!!
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boatycall wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I prefer my TC add weight to the front axle, rather than remove it. Fact is, my 11.5 Bigfoot adds about 200 pounds to the front axle, and 4000 to the rear axle.

The water tank is at the very front of the basement up against the truck bulkhead, so by me emptying it, that likely made up the majority of the unloading.

That is pretty close to being neutral for adding weight equally to the front and rear axle.

My water tank is also in the very front, but only about 30 gallons. My gray and black are at the extreme rear.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're right. I mixed my tickets like a dummy. That was the weight with the camper.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
I may have this wrong, but I think you have a F350 dually that weighs in at:

"My truck empty as weighed in the past--"
F 4,620
R 3,420
T 8,040

I have an F350 diesel SRW. I have the Black Cat scale ticket in my hand:

F 4660
R 5520
T 10180

????? Do you have a diesel? maybe that's the difference?

Wow is that F350 SRW heavy? What is your GVWR? I know that in the new models the biggest GVWR in a SRW is 11500# GVWR. That means if you are the same GVWR that you would only have a payload of 1320#. I just had my Dodge 3500 4X4 CC LB dually only weighs 8460 with a full tank of fuel and yes it is a diesel. My 2011 F350 4X4 CC LB SRW King Ranch weighed in at 8200# empty with a GVWR of 11200#. Now it was a gasser but I don't think there is 1980# difference between the gas and diesel.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
67avion wrote:
I have an F350 diesel SRW. I have the Black Cat scale ticket in my hand:

F 4660
R 5520
T 10180

????? Do you have a diesel? maybe that's the difference?

I do have a diesel, but you're saying your SRW weighs over 5 tons empty?? You sure you don't have a 5 and a 2 flip flopped on that rear axle weight? SRW's are supposed to be in the 7k range, duallys in the 8k-ish range.
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo