cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did antifreeze get in fresh water tank?!?!?!?!

soneill5
Explorer
Explorer
In a rush to winterize this fall, I forgot to drain the fresh water tank. Everything else was done, antifreeze in the lines and all. We have just went though several weeks of sub zero temps in Michigan and now that it's warming a bit and I can turn the valve to drain the tank, antifreeze is coming out.

How in the world would antifreeze have gotten in the fresh water tank? If I drain it, could it draw antifreeze from my lines?

I know I could be in a world of hurt come spring. Please send suggestions to help me mitigate the damage!
'23 Keystone Cougar 355FSB
'18 RAM 3500 Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Hitch!
Me & Wifey '67
Erin '98, Morgan '99
Pooch Abby '13
17 REPLIES 17

ymehp
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine! Just fill/drain it a couple times in the spring and your good to go. Also, if you read your manual there is a way to flush the tank with a small amount of bleach. It will remove any smell or cloudiness in the fresh water. We carry bottled water for drinking water regardless.
2012 Dutchmen 318RKDS
2006 Ford F-250 6.0 4x4 Crew Cab

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wondering. Did you run Antifreeze thru the water pump? IF not. It probably froze as well. The pump being frozen, was probably damaged, seals cracked, and allows antifreeze to drain into the fresh tank.
I thinkin, IF you didn't run antifreeze thru the pump. You will need a new one.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

soneill5
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fw tank was 2/3 full. Hopefully that left enough room for expansion.
'18 RAM 3500 Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Hitch!
Me & Wifey '67
Erin '98, Morgan '99
Pooch Abby '13

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Just pretend it is pink lemonade!! 🙂
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
In the last year we have had our back flow valve fail on the city inlet and in the hot water tank- I'd 2nd this one
Winnebago Access 24V

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
I always put anti-freeze in the fresh water tank when winterizing. But we don't use it for drinking anyway, only for showers and flushing the toilet. We always take bottled water for drinking and cooking.
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
Happened too me once .... I now use a cheap vodka as antifreeze ... works for me

Yes, but what do you put in your TT's water lines???? :B

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Happened too me once .... I now use a cheap vodka as antifreeze ... works for me
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Even if you draw more af from the lines, you're still ok as long you don't have water in them. If air replaces the af that was in your line, it still won't freeze. You should be fine. Hopefully your fw tank wasn't full, was it? If so, you might have to worry more about a cracked tank than your lines.

ditto.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you draw more af from the lines, you're still ok as long you don't have water in them. If air replaces the af that was in your line, it still won't freeze. You should be fine. Hopefully your fw tank wasn't full, was it? If so, you might have to worry more about a cracked tank than your lines.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
No big deal. Just wait until spring. Emtpy the water tank competely. Fill the tank up, and drain a few times. You'll be OK.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
bTW if you fill the Fresh water tank through your street hose connection you probably had one valve in the wrong posistion causing a little AF to feed into the FWT.....

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
No big deal really, as long as you used RV antifreeze just fill and flush out the system in the spring and you will be fine.....

soneill5
Explorer
Explorer
While we have 40 degree weather, if I drain whats left in the water tank , do I risk drawing anymore antifreeze from the water lines throughout the trailer?
'18 RAM 3500 Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Hitch!
Me & Wifey '67
Erin '98, Morgan '99
Pooch Abby '13