cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How far can you tow prior to fill up?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about getting rid of the Class A and getting a different RV for traveling cross country in. So bear with me since I'm really new to TT's.

As a newbie to TT's I'm attempting to wrap my head around how far you guys can pull prior to a fillup. If all you're getting is 10mpg and a standard pull vehicle has lets say a 14 gallon tank then you must be pulling over all the time to fill up. What am I missing?
There’s no fool, like an old fool.
102 REPLIES 102

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
My truck has 110 gallon capacity. I fill up where fuel is cheapest.

Danasdaddy2002
Explorer
Explorer
So I monitored another road trip to see if what I learned here had stuck with me.
. My 1ST time ever towing a trailer I got 7 MPG.
This time after adding the proper PSI to the truck tires and driving at a max speed of 60 MPH with the cruise control on when possible I got 10.5 MPG
Big difference to say the least. Thanks guys.

dannydimitt
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Slowmover, I'm not disagreeing with you. No need for any more explanations.

:)Good Morning !
as far as miniscule added fuel consumption items are concerned,
how about when the sway control bar "or bars" are cranked down tight
and the driver can feel when the braking mechanism in them stop and release as the vehicle is effected by passing trucks,cross winds, road crown , etc. and the trailer and towing vehicle are locked together for a time not exactly in line with each other . For the time said vehicles are in this position there are a set of tires that are scrubbing a bit with the road trying to regain precise forward alignment. This will also add a bit over time to the fuel consumption.
not much , but a tidbit,

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover, I'm not disagreeing with you. No need for any more explanations.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Now you are adding in a bunch of other issues. I thought you were just talking about steering wheel corrections for normal driving, with a well maintained setup. I agree with you that a whole bunch of things regarding the condition of a vehicle affects overall fuel mileage.

Sir, some steering set-ups are just flat better than others. Fewer corrections as a result. When one is burdened by 4WD, recirc ball steer gear and live axle he already has the worst type. As it wears, it becomes worse yet. Add to that improper TW distribution and one has the worst possible set up going down the highway. There is literally NOTHING worse.

The better set-ups (rack & pinion on IFS) will see fewer corrections. Higher FE.

The number of corrections per 100-miles is what the highly fuel-concious truck industry cites as a measurable problem. It is worth, therefore, consideration in spec'ing a truck, and in maintaining one. It pays to do things right.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Now you are adding in a bunch of other issues. I thought you were just talking about steering wheel corrections for normal driving, with a well maintained setup. I agree with you that a whole bunch of things regarding the condition of a vehicle affects overall fuel mileage.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Danasdaddy2002 wrote:
Gotta hook up the sway control - some say that helps with fuel.

I don't think that will help with fuel economy, that is all about safety while towing . . . .

The fewest number of steering corrections to maintain lane-centeredness is a DIRECT fuel economy advantage. Argue it with either CUMMINS or KENWORTH who both cite it as problem to correct. Risk minimization is the mantra . . and drivers who are tired from correcting the steering also lose the fine motor skills which are the hallmark of fuel conscious driving.

It's rather nice how safety and fuel economy go hand in hand. Same for a strict observance of the rules of the road.

Fuel economy is all about the small things. Lowered speed is easy . . but only a beginner step.

"The fewest number of steering corrections to maintain lane-centeredness is a DIRECT fuel economy advantage."

What kind of steering corrections are you talking about? I find it hard to believe that the ever-so-slight steering wheel adjustment I normally do while driving has much measurable effect on fuel economy. Maybe for an over the road trucker after a million miles or more, but just driving a couple hours to a campground a few times a year?

Number of corrections per 100-miles (to maintain lane-centeredness).

Steering gear slop, worn front end, bad shocks, live axle, recirculating ball gear box . . all are hallmark of less-than-ideal design + wear. Add to that incorrect tire pressures, alignment problems and incorrect WD hitch adjustment. The trailer can exert its own influence with bad bearing and brake adjustments, alignment, worn springs, no shock absorbers, etc. And starting with high COG, leaf sprung axles, non-aero design, poor balance FF-RR or side-side, etc.

This is before we get to winds -- natural or man-made or both -- then broken surface paving, ruts, etc. Traffic. And so forth.

Steering corrections, small and large. Some vehicles will travel a considerable farther distance over 100-miles than others. Snaking down the road.

IOW, it is worth being painstaking about all the above. It all has an effect. Fuel economy is about the small stuff once a given vehicle combination is joined (past climate, terrain and driver skill).

HamsHog
Explorer
Explorer
The Wrangler with our M-180FQ Pegasus Ultra Lite gets 10mpg with no wind, and 9 mpg with a headwind. 19 gallon tank, so I'm looking at 140 to 150 miles for gas. No faster than 62mph.

The D/Max with the same trailer gets 11 to 13. A 26 gallon tank, so it's around 225+ miles before fueling. No faster than 70mph.

Regards, Hamshog

PS- The Pegasus is 3600#'s GVWR, and has D rated, 14" LT tires.
2009 Silverado 2500HD EC/SB Dmax/Alli - SuperGlide 18K - Firestone Bags - 265/75R16's -
2010 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 w/ Big Foot - Champion 4000W
2005 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ
2007 Fleetwood Pegasus Ultralite M-180FQ

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We just moved from Maine to Austin, TX. Stopping in Georgia. Weighed everything when we left and we were 16,000 lbs with good distribution. We averaged over 7 mpg all the way, stopping every 150 miles or so.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
facory wrote:
I don't care how 'hopped up' a 6 cylinder engine is, when it comes to towing you need the cubic inches. ECO Boost may be OK for running around with an empty truck, but you need more than that to tow something of substance. You are asking the 6 cyl to work too hard. That's just the way life it.

That's funny. Tell it to all the Cummins owners. Any idea how happy diesel owners would be without their turbochargers? They would have about 1/3 the power they make with them.

Danasdaddy2002,

You should expect 8-10mpg towing any high walled travel trailer. That's what most gas engines get.

Also, your trailer tires are rated for 65mph.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MX-RV
Explorer
Explorer
I think what their getting at there is stated after the steering correction comment. A slight gentle correction I'm sure has an effect. But as you get tired and your corrections become more frequent and less gentle so does your break use and gentleness of speed corrections and controll I completely understand how the two are connected. And to the op I get 425-450km/tank towing when I keep it to 85-95 km. my first trip with our rig burned 3x the fuel as well. There's a deffinate learning curve. Our first trip I left home and by the time I got to the next town 20km I was down ~1/4 tank. Was running at 110 km/hr and 4k rpm.
You can take me camping, but apparently you can't make me camp!:S

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Danasdaddy2002 wrote:

I don't think that will help with fuel economy, that is all about safety while towing . . . .

The fewest number of steering corrections to maintain lane-centeredness is a DIRECT fuel economy advantage. Argue it with either CUMMINS or KENWORTH who both cite it as problem to correct. Risk minimization is the mantra . . and drivers who are tired from correcting the steering also lose the fine motor skills which are the hallmark of fuel conscious driving.

It's rather nice how safety and fuel economy go hand in hand. Same for a strict observance of the rules of the road.

Fuel economy is all about the small things. Lowered speed is easy . . but only a beginner step.

"The fewest number of steering corrections to maintain lane-centeredness is a DIRECT fuel economy advantage."

What kind of steering corrections are you talking about? I find it hard to believe that the ever-so-slight steering wheel adjustment I normally do while driving has much measurable effect on fuel economy. Maybe for an over the road trucker after a million miles or more, but just driving a couple hours to a campground a few times a year?

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Danasdaddy2002 wrote:

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
With our Explorer V8 we got around 9mpg, with a 22g tank we were looking at 180mi. With the Expedition EL still get 9mpg but with 33.5g we don't have to start looking till 270mi. At our CA speed limit of 55mph that is almost 5 hrs, usually someone needs a stretch and bathroom break before then.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008