cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long do you keep your truck?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me most people around this site think that 100,000 miles and 10 years is an old truck.

Just wanted to get a feel if that is correct or not?

I'll start.

First truck I owned was a 1969 Chevy. I bought it off of my dad in 1996 who ordered it brand new. I sold it in 1999 with around 275,000 on it. It looked and preformed great when I sold it. I sold it for half of what my dad bought it for brand new. :E We kept it for 30 years.

Next was a 1934 Chevy. Bought it around 1989 or so. Needs total restoration and I will put a 12 valve or a 4BT in it when the time comes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Next was a 1993 6.5 diesel. I inherited it from my dad when he pass away. He bought it used with 60K on it. It now has 175,000 on it. Still have it and love to drive it. It gets killer mileage and runs like brand new after band-aiding up the junky engine. I can also burn anything I want in it because it's a mechanical diesel. I LOVE this truck for driving around. We have owned it for 20 years. It will more than likely have my name on the pink slip when they put me in the ground. ๐Ÿ™‚

Next is an LBZ DMax. Also inherited it. Dad bought it brand new in 06. Nice truck; but I still like driving the 93 better. A crew, long bed is kind of like driving around in a school bus. A school bus with a lot of power, but a school bus none the less. It has 85,000 on it right now. 9 years old and drives like new. Even better with Bilstiens on it! Unless I hit the lotto I think this will be my last "new" truck.

So I keep my trucks around 30+ years. What about you?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
46 REPLIES 46

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to drive it to one million. The problem is I'm less inspired to drive. There are just too much recklessness on the roads today.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
chevor wrote:
Going over 660,000 miles and 5 years. Still driving.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/4-other-topics/32-truck-uses/499698-97chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintena...

Very impressive. How long do you plan on keeping it?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

chevor
Explorer
Explorer

B_GAGE
Explorer
Explorer
13 years and 200,000 with plans to replace it when the 2016's arrive.
Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
when my repair bills are a thousand $ or more,not including tires or brakes it gets traded in.my 03 f150 lasted 10 years.

These days $1000 is only 2 payments on a new one....
My payments on my last new Diesel were $720 a month.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I buy new when the leather looks old.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
when my repair bills are a thousand $ or more,not including tires or brakes it gets traded in.my 03 f150 lasted 10 years.

Yup...you nailed it... :B

Buddies always saying "Ben, you must be rolling in it when you
just go out and spend $1.2K on new tires without blinking an eye"...or
when talking about a new sedan...I'd love to have more $$$$, but that
isn't my point...

No monthly auto payments (some buddies have 2 per month), lower insurance,
lower yearly DMV, etc has me saving north of $5K-$6K a year PER
vehicle and I own four vehicles...soon to be a maybe five

I'm not a LAGS person (Latest and Greatest Syndrome)...well for most
things...Camera's and a few other things...yes, but for 'me', not for show...

Plus...can afford more toys on my vehicles, laugh at the comments of
my 7.4L's low MPG...but pennys vs the thousands saved on payments :C

Or that I don't 'mind' being able to NOT worry about driving like I
want to, able to/capable of (ability: both me and vehicle)...scrub the
tires going into a curve HARD testing something new or new tweek? Sure
not going to worry about losing a few hundred miles of tread....never
did anyway, but now retired and time to test buddies proto-types...fun times !!!

{edit}...Took this after getting it back from the body shop fixing
front damage from nailing a LandRover which jumped a stop sign. Still
looks like this after a wash and wax
MySuburban mysub

My 1973 K5 Blazer...+255K miles when forced to sell it by the then wife.
She wanted something bigger and got the Sub
K5Blazer
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bcbouy wrote:

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2005 Ford F-250 with a 6.0 liter diesel, would still have it except it met its end on a mountain road, it went to the breakers with 196,000 miles on it. I now have a 2008 Ford F-250 with a 6.4 liter diesel, I bought it with 200,000 miles on the clock, all highway miles. No squeaks, rattles or looseness at all. I've put 9,000 miles on it since last November when I went to Indiana to buy it. Even with some people being afraid of the recent Ford diesels, they still hold their value. I'll keep this one until the wheels fall off.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Tankcar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.
First Tower: Ford F-150 1975 first year for the F-150 series kept until Jun 2006. Cal, and I were having a smog fight. I won!

Second is a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500hd, V-10, I still have, and use it. I can't find anything better for the price. It's simpler to use, and fix. Not much in the way of electronic******in it.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I usually keep them until they start costing me money to maintain or when they start becoming unreliable. That used to be around 5 years and 100k miles.

That being said, I've had my Honda for 8 years and 160k and it is still all original apart from brakes and an O2 sensor. Drives like new so I can see me keeping it for a few more years.

My new Ram 2500 I can't see keeping beyond the factory warranty..... I miss the reliability of my old Tundra ๐Ÿ˜ž should have never traded it.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
160K on the burb, and no plans on trading it in. New Pioneer stereo with bluetooth, XM, and iPod controls so have all the modern features. Now that I've changed all the brake and fuel lines to stainless, rebuilt the front end, and put a Jasper Transmission in, there's no point in trading it in.

How long will I keep it? I'm on a mission to see how many miles I can get out of it now!

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
At around 150k or so, I think about looking, and if I find a deal, I buy it. Found my '09 three years ago with 36,000 miles on it, and picked it up for $9,000 less than it was worth. Wasn't really "looking" at the time since I had just 153k on my '03 Duramax, but couldn't pass it up for the price. It's now at 66,000 miles, so it will likely be a while before I go on the hunt again. But then again, you never know when you might stumble across a deal too good to pass up...

I think this is key. You will never get a good deal on a vehicle if you need a vehicle as opposed to want a vehicle. I learned to negotiate when buying a car for my wife years ago. We were young and still getting established so there wasn't a lot of flex in the budget. We had reliable transportation but knew we needed to start looking over the next year or so. Scouting trip to Ford and salesman wasn't really interested in dealing so we walked out with real intent to leave instead of as a negotiating tactic and ended up with a good deal. I've never walked in a dealership since without full intent to walk out if that meant waiting months or more. But if you are disciplined, it never hurts to check out deals and hopefully a salesperson that needs to close a sale who will work with you.

I did get burned on a truck that I bought from an individual and never again. I scout for a reputable dealer and go that route even if I may pay a little more.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)