cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many have crawled under your trailer recently?

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how many have crawled under your trailer and checked things out? Like the wiring etc.? I went under mine after I purchased it used and checked the wiring to make sure nothing was rubbing or starting to chaff. I started at the front and went to the back, found a few places where the tape that was holding up the wiring turned loose. I covered all my wiring and placed clamps to hold it up so it would not rub. This comes from being an aircraft mechanic for many years. I hope to prevent future problems. Just thought I would put this out in hopes it might help others. Reading the post about the fresh water tank falling out made me think about what I had done.
Mark
24 REPLIES 24

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I crawl under mine after each trip to drain the fresh water tank. Not much to see, the bottom is enclosed behind a black hard board of some sort and the bottoms of the fresh, grey and black water tanks. The drain spigot and the water line low point drain caps are the only accessible components.

I do get to examine the brake wiring and the frame. The grey and black plumbing is visible from the side of the TT.

It takes about 5 minutes on the driveway with a floor creeper.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of surface rust on metal throughout the frame, from coupler to bumper in only about a year old. Got delivered to the west coast in the winter therefore salt on the roads. Have done touch-up in the A-frame area, but need to get under there and try and paint what I can. Not happy. The paint must only be a micron or two thick. Pffft.

Don't look regularly, but often enough to know how things are.

Have pulling down the underbelly but not looking forward to it. I expect to find no end of horrors in there. I am positive the ONLY reason them enclose them is to hide all the **** workmanship.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Remodeler wrote:
right before it leave the driveway, every time

^This. Bought a creeper for exactly this purpose.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased 2007 5th whelel. Last weekend rewired the brakes. This weekend installing Correct Track II and Dexter EZ Flex equilizer. Having big problems with the Correct Track II install. Getting spring packs to align with EZ Flex has been a huge issue. Oh well, sick day from work tomorrow!
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
Few months back I was under trailer to reinstall wiring on slideout. I removed 14 foot slideout to replace the slideout beam above
Here is link with few pics
minor repairs
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I usually give everything a look-over a few times each year. My underside is clad with aluminum and the brake wiring/lights wiring is run through conduit so there is little to look at except the frame and brake backer plates turning orange and check the propane plumbing. I also have Torflex axles so not even a spring or shackle to worry about. I do have some plans to get some quality time underneath for waste tank work and frame painting. Those items are low in priority.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I crawled under mine and a family of beavers was living right on the axles. They complained about the quality of the fiberglass.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I check under the DP at times. I find things to fix at times, others just to hide from my DW from the dreaded honeydo list!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't. Too old and too crippled.

M adult son likes to do that stuff, so I indulge him.

I will stand by (out of the way) and chat with him as my contribution. ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I purchased mine I made the dealer get two roll-abouts and we both got under the trailer and inspected it together and I had several things done before I took it away. (including Re-ty-wrapping a considerable amount of the wiring)

I give mine a good inspection before each long trip.

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
In theory, I take a thorough look under the TT once a year. Jack up the trailer, check brakes, grease if I'm in the mood, look everything over. I'm due to do that, as we have a long trip coming up in September.

The only real issue we have now is the fold out step is getting a bit wobbly... I really need to get some sort of brace made for it. There was a thread in the spring about someone doing exactly what I need to do, someday I'll look that up.

wif
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, just spent some quality time with mine: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28413812.cfm
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
~ twice a year (usually before/after I put it away for the winter).

I hose everything down, adjust the brakes, look for any loose connections, paint areas which look a bit grungy (I use Rustoleum High Temp paint - seems to have more solids than others paints and lasts longer).

Finally I mix a spray bottle with 50% Marvel Mystery Oil and WD40 - I then spray all the exposed metal. 10 Years later, not a spot of rust anywhere on the trailer.

Gerry
Gerry

Slamnslash
Explorer
Explorer
I spent all of last weekend under mine. This trailer was first sold in 2/2014 and was towed to a beach campground and was literally 8 feet from salt water. Needless to say the salt did what it always does. I derusted the whole frame and painted the underside. For the most part everything thing looked good to go.
2013 Heartland Pioneer 25BH
2007 Chevy Silverado Z71 Off-road Crew, 5.3 factory HD tow, 3.73
Prodigy 2 Brake Control
Pro- Series WDH w/sway control