cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many people have cameras on trailer

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up new Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S and was thinking about adding a camera to the rear. Trailer is prewired so install would be easy. Just curious if this is a nice to have item or more of an essential item. Ed
27 REPLIES 27

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
our current TT came prewired with bracket so i installed one in about 15 minutes. had it not come with the pre stuff i doubt i would have done it myself. our TT is 37ft so it does help when backing in tight spots. also helps me not back over my wife when she is spotting me

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
jerryjay11 wrote:
An observation camera is like using a rear view mirror. I don't know of anyone that doesn't want to know what is directly behind them when traveling down the road. Knowing if someone is tailgating in your blind spot behind the TT can aid in preventing an accident. Can't tell you how many times, though my directional is on, that someone tailgating in the blind spot, decides to go around me just as I change lanes.

Now for backing up into a campsite. Let's just say my wife doesn't have to get out of the truck to spot me. Backing up with a camera is a marriage saver, and makes the camp trip less stressful for me...and the wife. You may need to practice a few times with a spotter to learn and gain confidence using it, but it is well worth the cost.

I agree with this. Sure you can live w/o it but it really makes life easier for both of these cases. Are your AC, radio, cruise control, automatic transmission, etc. really necessary?

We had a Garmin BC20 backup camera on our last TT and it was really useful because you could adjust the length, width and tilt of the guide lines. So it ended up representing our TT width exactly and reflecting exactly where you would go when you backed up. If you used a properly adjusted one, youโ€™d be hooked.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a camera this spring, the first time I have used a camera on a TT in 6 years of towing. I've found the camera useful but not necessary. My monitor is mounted low and out of my direct sight so it doesn't distract me. Backing up with the camera is a bit weird because I cannot see the trailer to use as a reference. I do like being able to see behind me on the interstate to make sure I'm not pulling out in front of someone coming up behind me fast.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
An observation camera is like using a rear view mirror. I don't know of anyone that doesn't want to know what is directly behind them when traveling down the road. Knowing if someone is tailgating in your blind spot behind the TT can aid in preventing an accident. Can't tell you how many times, though my directional is on, that someone tailgating in the blind spot, decides to go around me just as I change lanes.

One time driving a Class B with my boat behind a driver attempted to change to the right lane to pass me as I was changing the the right lane after passing a slower moving vehicle. Of course my right signal was on, but it didn't seem to matter to this driver as he continued to pass, squeezing between me and the guard rail. So as I see it, an observation camera is very useful.

Now for backing up into a campsite. Let's just say my wife doesn't have to get out of the truck to spot me. Backing up with a camera is a marriage saver, and makes the camp trip less stressful for me...and the wife. You may need to practice a few times with a spotter to learn and gain confidence using it, but it is well worth the cost.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best safety item you can have for towing. I had one on my trailer and it was nice to be able to see behind the trailer, no where cars were when passing and watching the bikes. It should be a required item just like rear view mirrors. Anyone that thinks hey are unnecessary has never had or used one.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
i think the only time i could see it being useful is when i back into my parking spot at home. I usually see the fence move from the spare tire and pull forward a bit lol. My fence would appreciate a back up camera!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I consider rear observation cameras unnecessary as well. I consider them more as a distraction vs. a necessity.
I actually installed a rear camera but I never use it while driving. I am comfortable just using my mirrors.
I don't really need to see who or what is behind my trailer as I travel down the road. I'm concerned with what is in front of me not what is behind me.
I am fine changing lanes with my mirrors.
I do agree rear cameras can be useful when backing up but are not as beneficial when driving forward.
I have a Garmin BC-20 camera that displays on my GPS screen. I occasionally use it when backing up. I have had it for a few years now and don't consider it a must have feature
If the RV is prewired it maybe worthwhile to install the camera simply because it's easy to do, however I would not go through the trouble to install a rear camera from scratch.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We have a camera on our new tt and its great! Just like the backup camera on my car, I wouldnt be without one now.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely more luxury than necessity.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one, but would like to have one.

My wife's car has a backup camera, and it is great!

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is very nice to have when travelling down the road to see what is behind you and certainly aids when changing lanes. It is somewhat useful when backing up but I still require a spotter as I worry more about what is beside me in blind spots.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bells & Whistles Item
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, being able to see if you completely passed a big rig (or any other vehicle) and backing into a space, makes having a back up camera great.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400