Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much damage have I caused?

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Please help me!

Yesterday, I needed to fill the gray water tank, so I can flash the small gray amount of water before we head back home.

Long story short, darn drain plug! I didn't pay attention and accidentally overfill the sink and got fresh water everywhere on the kitchen floor (3 gal at max),
I throw every towel I got on the floor to absorb the water,
and dried the floor the best I could. (also inside floor cabinets and etc)
The camper is now all nice and dry, no visual water damage (yet)...

BUT!
in the evening, small amount of water (cup?) did dripped under the trailer in one location.
I poke a tiny hole in the Underbelly to help the water drain out faster, and now I am worried that I have caused sever water damage in that area...

So...
How much damage have I caused?
Is there anything else I can do, is it repairable?
This is a new trailer... I feel so stupid.

P.s I live in an apartment, and the trailer is at the outside storage 15 min away.

Thanks.
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH
13 REPLIES 13

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

But, why did you fill the gray tank again?? :?

You don't need to "fill" the gray tank to drain it. Just open the valve and let it go.

Because I had very little gray water in it after our last trip, and I wanted to clean and flash out what ever left in it before winterizing.

Rookie mistake.

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your posts!

I have carefully open the underbelly on the affected area (12" x 18") and pulled out all the wet isolation, no visual water damage so far, and no other area has wet isolation.
I will tuck that isolation back in after it will completely dry and gorilla tape it.

Again - thank you for all your help ans support.

BTW, I was amazed how much water isolation can absorb! like WOW.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you immediately go on a 1000-mile RV trip, which will certainly dry out all parts impacted! 😉
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you did any damage

But, why did you fill the gray tank again?? :?

You don't need to "fill" the gray tank to drain it. Just open the valve and let it go.

You don't need to completely fill the black tank to drain it either. But, the more liquid you get into the black tank before opening it the better. You just don't need it completely full.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
And mold will only develop if a leak continues. Once the leak has stopped (like yours did) the area will dry out on its own.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt you did much, if any, long term damage.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just leave it alone.
As long as you soaked up as much as you could, the rest will dry out.

I wouldn't worry about wet insulation. It will dry out on it's own

You should not have any damage at all

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
No damage has been done - yet. The underbelly should be opened so the insulation can dry.

Right now you are probably holding wet fiberglass insulation against the wood floor. It will rot the wood if not dried out.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was just that small amount and you cleaned it up inside and drained the underbelly then I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it was mine, which I have done before!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you can take down the underbelly material, at least partially, you will see how much water is in there. Leave it open and run a fan to dry it completely. If you find a large amount of wet insulation, it would be best to remove it and replace.

Hope you don't find this: leak

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no damage. The worse damage to these particle board and other cheap materials comes with prolonged exposure. You see houses sheathed in OSB that are exposed to weather all the time before they are shingled. It's not good but it is limited. Open the cupboard doors and run a fan toward it for a few days.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rubi.. it's hard to say and probably only time will tell. A lot depends upon where you are at. If in a dry state (area), it may just not be a problem at all; however, if in a humid area, the moisture may stick around long enough to cause mold and mildew....not good.

By the way how and why did you put water into the gray tank? I can understand doing this with the black tank, but I don't think I've ever heard of this with the gray tank.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You 'probably' did very little damage. Make sure It there is no problem (clogged sink, etc.) and you do not do it again.
If possible, I would run a dehumidifier in the unit for a week or so to make sure you remove as much moisture as possible.