cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How safe are you when boondocking

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver
130 REPLIES 130

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
I

If you feel that you need a firearm in your camper... get a shotgun...

Also.. if you are going to cross borders into Canada or Mexico you can't be armed.

Sleepy

I agree with the shot gun carry, but they are difficult to aim in small quarters,

I do not know the Mexican rules for guns across the boarder, but you'd best read the instructions at the web page for the Canadian Fire arms Centre for better advice on Canadian gun rules.

We often enter Canada with guns. and we are legal doing it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
It's weird to me that this thread came up now. Just last night I was in the back yard late at night listening to the night sounds. I love them, but for some reason it seemed a little creepy. I grew up hunting and fishing and never felt that 'creep factor' before. I think it's because society is so full of psychos these days. I don't think boondocking is for me. I feel totally safe in campgrounds with other campers, and it has nothing do with the Glock on my nightstand...well, maybe just a tad bit.
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
First let me say that I am anti firearms for so many reasons. Yes I can shoot and shoot very well. I can pick you off before you see me and from distances that would amaze. Would this help me if some guy hid behind a tree and blew me away to get my truck when I was making supper? Not at all. If you are carrying a gun you better have it with you 24/7/365 and have someone watching your back at all times because if someone wants your stuff they will get it if you have a gun or not!!! Why attack you when you are in the vehicle close to a weapon wait till you step outside and are not close to your gun then attack!

There is being careful and prepared (not meaning carrying a gun)and there is paranoid. If you are paranoid stay home so the rest of us do not have to worry about you accidentally shooting us because enough people are accidentally shot each year.

Being prepared means following your gut feelings, keeping valuables out of site, don't flash your cash, don't look like a victim and camp where you feel safe. If you do that you do not need a gun. Add to that the fact that inside a RV there are a number of weapons (knives, fire extinguisher, bear spray, hair spray, screw drivers, etc, etc.) and you are already well armed. I see very few reports about people being attacked inside an RV, I see a lot more about people being attacked walking down what was thought to be a safe street close to their homes.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
Im ordering some cans of bear spray for back up, I already ordered it before this thread was started, because I know that anything will stop a pizzed off grizzly will stop ANY man no matter how much dope or booze they got in them. And heres another thing, Every thing isn't a killing matter, so maybe it an unarmed petty thief and you cant just shoot a man over a lawn chair, But you can bear spray him lol, And then BOOT train him till the cops get there. Or maybe its just some loud mouth trying to bully and intimidate you because hes younger and stronger/ Bear spray his arse. See what I mean. You can have a little shot gun for back up, but I don't think you'll need it. Last thing Ill see in my rear view mirror is him rolling on the ground clawing his face. I sure don't ever want to shoot anyone. Ive been their and done that back in 1992/ We were being carjacked in Texas, and it was a bad deal. No one died, But if it can be avoided then avoid it at all cost.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Yuup......never can be too sure nowadays with all those wacos around. I always have a pistol, shotgun and rifel on hand.....just in case.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
sleepy wrote:
I have boondocked 1007 nights since Jan 2005... never had a problem. I wouldn't stay in many campgrounds

Most people are so unqualifed with a handgun they are about as likely to shoot someone in their family as they are the imaginary thug. If you can't hit the bulls eye of a target when you are relaxed what makes you thing you could hit a human when you are nervous or scared sh*tless?(I was a NRA qualified instructor a good while back... and a Life Member for nearly a half century)

If you feel that you need a firearm in your camper... get a shotgun... you might be able to hit a person in your door... but maybe not a moving target (after all, experienced hunters don't alway kill a rabbit or squirrel with a shot gun.)

Think about experienced gun owners in history in duels... one or both usually miss their shot.... how much experience do you have?

+++++++++++

Also.. if you are going to cross borders into Canada or Mexico you can't be armed.

++++++++++++

If you put a NRA sticker on your camper you'll increase the chance of a home invasion... the thugs will break in looking for your guns... when you are gone... or worse, when you are there.)

So, my advice: If you think you will need a gun to boondock... don't boondock!

Sleepy

Exactly

x2
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
sleepy wrote:
I have boondocked 1007 nights since Jan 2005... never had a problem. I wouldn't stay in many campgrounds

Most people are so unqualifed with a handgun they are about as likely to shoot someone in their family as they are the imaginary thug. If you can't hit the bulls eye of a target when you are relaxed what makes you thing you could hit a human when you are nervous or scared sh*tless?(I was a NRA qualified instructor a good while back... and a Life Member for nearly a half century)

If you feel that you need a firearm in your camper... get a shotgun... you might be able to hit a person in your door... but maybe not a moving target (after all, experienced hunters don't alway kill a rabbit or squirrel with a shot gun.)

Think about experienced gun owners in history in duels... one or both usually miss their shot.... how much experience do you have?

+++++++++++

++++++++++++

If you put a NRA sticker on your camper you'll increase the chance of a home invasion... the thugs will break in looking for your guns... when you are gone... or worse, when you are there.)

So, my advice: If you think you will need a gun to boondock... don't boondock!

Sleepy

Exactly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a shotgun which I taught my wife to use. If you try coming in my motorHOME I will shoot you. If you stay outside and steal I will call the police.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
For those people in Arizona, what doe the law say regarding out of state people having a shotgun. Im just curious because we are from Oklahoma but I just bought property near the Grand Canyon, well its halfway between Williams and the Grand Canyon. If you are sitting in a truck camper on your own private property isn't that the same as being in your house? I believe they'd need a search warrant to even enter wouldn't they. I don't know anyone there, and its very remote, you cant see a paved road or a sign of life in any direction.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
carry 6 gun at all times. I target shoot all the time. Been BD since 1972 and NEVER any trouble. Hsppy RV.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Would you shoot someone over a lawn chair? a sewer hose? or even your vehicle?

What would it take to get you to shoot someone?

What do you think that it would cost to get out of it if you kill someone?

George Zimmerman was judged not guily... justified... it cost $3,000,000 for that defense (at least thatswhat he said that he owes.

All I'm saying is think it through now! It won't do any good after the fact.

If you think there is a chance you'd shoot someone... don't boondock.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
There is more chance that your camper will be broken into where there are a lot of RV's... almost everyone that will ever have a RV will hav a "CH 751" key..

Why would a crook drive miles when all of the loot is in one spot near the place that he's at (in the camper next to yours)
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock about 95% of the time. The only time we've had trouble was in state campgrounds. ๐Ÿ™‚ Do as others say, have a gun. Don't be stupid and put things outside the rig that tempt them to come and steal from you. Keep your car keys next to your bed. Nothing scares anyone better than the car headlights coming on (if yours does that) and the horn starting to honk. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great time.....it's our preference......we have privacy and quiet. ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure most carry but also a good ball bat and wasp spray in a holder next to the door is probably good enough... A Police scanner in the background is also a big deterrent...

My trailer is equipped with a good working motion detector lights on both front and back. I can also turn ON/OFF the awning from a pocket remote thumper. In the five years or so I have never run into any dangerous situations. We have been checked my local police a couple of times in a Walmart parking lot haha...

We have always arranged things for quick get away if camping back in secluded places. Some folks have dogs with them which is great first alarm device...

Just use good common sense and be aware of your surroundings is the best approach to camping off to your self somewhere...

Also be aware that 99 percent of others campers around you are your best friends... We all look out for each other pretty good... If we are way back in the woods we always checkin with the other campers in the area that might be around us - nice to have someone watch your back so it seems...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We have always stayed in Forest Service campgrounds, and like them a lot, never had a bad experience. We are considering boondocking in the forest. We're not concerned about safety when there, but if we both went for a walk or a drive and left the TT and or TV there, I would be concerned about the possibility of theft. My concern is when there are no other vehicles or trailers around, so if thief determined no one there, and no neighbors to observe, seems like it would be tempting for said thief.