cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calibrate the speedometer?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously considering upsizing my tires by about 1" diameter, from 33" to 34". I would like to fix the speedo and shift points to accommodate the new size with as little expense and trouble as possible.

I've seen a few products, but am not sure how well they work, or if they could potentially affect warranty, etc.

I'm driving a 2015 Ram 1500.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
11 REPLIES 11

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The dealer can only make adjustments to stock size tires that were avail.
For true custom adjusments you need a programmers like CnF suggested.

And you know this to be fact about the dealer? On my Ford they plugged some number in their computer that they had some forumula had to do with the circumference. Like when I added the 50 aux fuel tank, they had to reprogram the computer so it knew the total number of gallons avaialable
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Bedlam
That was the case with my F250. The base tires at 245/75R17 were 31" tall and the speedometer over reported the speed. Once I went to the optional 275/70R18's at 33", It was much closer to being accurate. Later switching to 245/70R19.5, the tire height was the same as my 18's.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, depends on what tires on the truck OE. I’ve had numerous work trucks that always come with the smaller tire options. Speedos consistently read a bit fast. Up the size to around the “optional” bigger OE sizes and speedo is right on. I wouldn’t even dink with 1-2” tire diameter adjustments and if the early shifting is an issue hit the t/h button.
JMO
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely use a GPS to see what your actual speed is vs the speedo before buying a tuner just to adjust the speedo reading. As was said, you may find that it is right on or within a mph or so.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you only go up 1 inch your speed o will probably be on the money , most factory are off by about 2 mph

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the Hypertech was at the top of my list. I just didn't want to accidentally overlook a good alternative. Thanks for the input!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The dealer can only make adjustments to stock size tires that were avail.
For true custom adjusments you need a programmers like CnF suggested.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Hypertech speedo calibrator for my Ram 2500. Around $200 online but they are vehicle specific so price may vary a bit. Easy plug and play with a laptop. Only downside is it will only work with one vehicle at a time. You have to return a calibrated vehicle to stock before programming another.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
That's not enough of a change to matter, and most speedometers aren't that accurate anyway. I would use a GPS to get an idea of your actual speed versus the speedo and just keep it in the back of your mind.

I've run oversize tires on most of my rigs in the past and this always worked for me. The only reason I'm not on my current truck is I'm already pushing being too tall with my fifth wheel and getting into my garage and parking garages.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the dealer can do it
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper