cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to put kayak on top of TC

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
No, this is not a how-to. It's a "how do you?" I just acquired a 12' polyethylene kayak. There is room on top of my TC to carry it. Any idea how I can get it up there and then secure it for travel?

Thanks for any clever schemes you may have to offer.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue
31 REPLIES 31

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
My wife's kayak is 10', mine is 12'. Both are about 45# each. I found a used Yakima crossbar system meant for a pop-up camping trailer. Looks like this but without the bike rack portion. The triangular rack feet are bolted through the roof. I put 4 Yakima Mako kayak saddles on the crossbars. One of us climbs up on the roof and we load/unload quickly.

Works for us.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

kawa900stx
Explorer
Explorer
ttfire24 wrote:

Click For Full-Size Photo.
Sorry just figuring out as I go

ttfire

would yo happen to have any more pictures or care to share the build of this interesting rack. Would love to be able to carry my kayaks in the same manner.
2002 Ford F350 SD PSD SRW Lariat CC LB 4X4
Vision's w/Hankook DH01 245/70R19.5, Firestone Airbags

2006 Host Rainer DS

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
well it got me out there Fly fishing

(caution I dropped a F Bomb at the end (for a good fisherman's reason))

http://youtu.be/28URZ5zcOMA
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
ttfire24 wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys9oqqaot0gm6k0/2013-09-17%2018.14.41.jpg
This work for me. Home made 2 boats no roof no fall

That is nice, but my kayak is 13' long. Gonna have to go on the roof, methinks.
DW and Me

Life in Black and Blue

ttfire24
Explorer
Explorer

Click For Full-Size Photo.
Sorry just figuring out as I go
2007 Chevy duramax LBZ Banks Induction,4"Exhaust, Ranchos 9000, Banks intercooler,Edge CTS.
2008 861 Lance

ttfire24
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys9oqqaot0gm6k0/2013-09-17%2018.14.41.jpg
This work for me. Home made 2 boats no roof no fall
2007 Chevy duramax LBZ Banks Induction,4"Exhaust, Ranchos 9000, Banks intercooler,Edge CTS.
2008 861 Lance

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just put my kayak on top for the first time. biggest pain was just figuring out how I wanted to secure it to the crass bars and to the TC rack system itself as a back up. Just hoisted it up with a knotted line tied to the bow, at 63 pounds it was a piece of cake

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Powelligator wrote:
billtex wrote:
punomatic wrote:
Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone. We have had a new grandchild born in our family and two family emergencies since I first posted this, so I have not been able to try implementing any of these great ideas. Powelligator, like FreeLanceing, I am especially interested in the roof rack end supports. How do they attach to the camper, and where did you get them?

Probably these;
Thule Gutter Mounts

It's what we used on our last camper. They are a pretty universal fit. The gutter mounts with a 96" bar are pefrect for the TC.

Bill

Those are exactly what I'm using - the Thule gutter mounts with a set of really long bars. If you look closely at the photo on page 2 of this thread, you can see the PVC pipe that I use in the center to keep the weight of anything from bowing down. None of that penetrates the roof, that was my concern also, and I've got thousands of miles with no issues.

Joe

Thanks, guys, that is just what I needed to know.
DW and Me

Life in Black and Blue

Powelligator
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
punomatic wrote:
Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone. We have had a new grandchild born in our family and two family emergencies since I first posted this, so I have not been able to try implementing any of these great ideas. Powelligator, like FreeLanceing, I am especially interested in the roof rack end supports. How do they attach to the camper, and where did you get them?

Probably these;
Thule Gutter Mounts

It's what we used on our last camper. They are a pretty universal fit. The gutter mounts with a 96" bar are pefrect for the TC.

Bill

Those are exactly what I'm using - the Thule gutter mounts with a set of really long bars. If you look closely at the photo on page 2 of this thread, you can see the PVC pipe that I use in the center to keep the weight of anything from bowing down. None of that penetrates the roof, that was my concern also, and I've got thousands of miles with no issues.

Joe
2014 F-350 carrying a 1995 Lance 4000
1994 F-250HD carrying nothing, enjoying its retirement. 🙂

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
punomatic wrote:

Probably these;
Thule Gutter Mounts

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
DW and Me

Life in Black and Blue

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a canoe and it takes 5 minutes at the most. I lean it up against the Roof rack. I use an aluminum pole, about 6 feet long with a clamp at one end. I clamp the pole at the back end of the canoe, then I lift the back of the canoe up and plant the pole on the ground, the wife just keep it steady from falling. I go on top, pull on the canoe and while I pull and bring the canoe down on top of the camper, the wife pushes up with the pole to bring the back end up, very easy to manoeuver. I then attach the canoe to the rack. I also installed two round attachement at about middle of the camper so I can attach the canoe at the front to. The front end is sitting on top of the camper with a piece of foam.

Taking down is just the same reverse procedure.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
Powelligator; where did you get those gutter mount racks. Do they clamp to the gutter system. That looks like a great solution if you dont have to penatrate the roof. I have 1 pc alm. Have you had this system a while do you find it holds up.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OR is a great design and would be good for lakes and protected waters. It should be a lot faster to setup and take back down than an inflatable kayak like the ones from Advanced Elements though more limited in terms of where you can take it.

I opted for two sub 12' kayaks and am having a RV Kayak Racks built so I can carry the two kayaks vertically along with two bicycles. The rack has a swing away design for fast access to the rear door of the camper. I could use a lighter rack from them if I had a side entry for the camper.