cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I guess I will be driving a new Ford tomorrow

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.
75 REPLIES 75

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulfcoast wrote:
Call the ford complaint line.. and start complaining, every day. The squeaking wheel usually gets greased.

As the current owner of four Ford vehicles and several others in the past I have found their customer service department to be the worst part of the company. All that I have ever gotten from them is stall and delay tactics, then follow up calls to see if I was satisfied. Aften repeatedly telling them that I was not satisfied I finally told them to quit calling before I totally lost my temper. From my experience they would be better off without their customer non-service department. They are definitely not Tesla. That reminds me, I still don't have Google Android on my 2016 Lariat even though it has been promised for the last 18 months. I called on that and the service department was useless.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Service guy said they would have a diagnosis by the end of the week. Not sure if he meant this week or next. At this point I can deal with it being gone for a bit anyway. I can borrow a truck if I need to move the trailer or haul something so as long as I have a vehicle to drive I will see what happens. I will not wait longer than 30 days without some action though for sure.

I guess it all depends on what they say in the next few days. Still going to cost me some dough though because the wife really liked the way the loaner drives.:(

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Call the ford complaint line.. and start complaining, every day. The squeaking wheel usually gets greased.

...and mention the Lemon Law
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure your relationship with the dealer you towed it to is much to consider if they are saying a month before they can even look at it. I personally would not allow that. Either Ford tows it to another dealer or put it on a trailer yourself and take to Idaho. I cant imagine a shop that is so busy that it takes a month to diagnose the problem. So on top of that if it is catastrophic, you will wait for a new engine and the install on that. You could be down for quite sometime, months at this rate of service.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, welcome to the Tri-cities. Pretty rapid population growth here for the last couple decades but still just one Ford dealer. Have to go 90 minutes for the next one or 40 minutes but out of state. I have no idea what either if those stores are like, at least I have some history with these guys.

The lemon law looks interesting. Had not occurred to me. Will check into that.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
Call your Ford district rep. and tell him you can't wait a month for your dealer to get to it. They may send it to another dealer for you or get you something to tow with.

Your location states S. E. Washington, do you have a small dealer? Maybe a call will either get moved to a location where service will be faster.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
keymastr wrote:
Service writer just called, they tried to start it to diagnose the issue and it is locked up solid. Looks like I will not be going winter camping as they are backed up about a month before they can start on it. Oh well, gives me time to plan our spring southwest tour.
They are backed up for a month? What's up with this place - do they only have 2 bays? That's ridiculous.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
OK I have to ask, how can it take 30 days before they can even get started on it. I mean after all, all we hear on this site is how all of the Ford guys never have to take their trucks in for warranty service, ever. Heck we have guys claiming they are still running their factory brake pads and rotors after 150K miles! This dealer must only have one or two service bays....that has to be it.

All kidding aside, as carringb posted, file a notice of intent under the lemon law and see how fast Ford gets your truck fixed for you!

This is for Washington States Lemon Law site.
Link to PDF
What is a "Lemon"?
Your vehicle may qualify as a "lemon" if it has one or
more significant defects that have been subject to a
"reasonable number of attempts" to diagnose or repair
defect(s) covered by the manufacturerโ€™s warranty. The
law covers only defects that "substantially impair" the
use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle.
A manufacturer is required to repurchase or replace a
vehicle with a "nonconformity" or "serious safety defect"
after a "reasonable number of attempts" to diagnose or
repair the vehicle have occurred when requested by a
consumer. A Lemon Law arbitrator can determine if a
consumerโ€™s request is justified under the Lemon Lawโ€™s
standards. At an arbitration hearing, the arbitrator will
expect to receive proof of a consumerโ€™s claim for each
defect that occurred in your vehicle including the type
and the claim categories.

4. Days Out-of-Service
Days out-of-service are accumulated during attempts
to diagnose or repair one or more "nonconformities"
or "serious safety defects." The vehicle has been out
of service due to diagnosis or repair meeting this claim
category when:
โ€ขA total of 30 or more cumulative calendar days for
diagnosis or repairs have occurred
โ€ขAt least 15 of the days occurred during the period
of the manufacturerโ€™s written warranty and during
the "eligibility period"
โ€ข To add to cumulative days out-of-service a
nonconformity or serious safety defect must have
been subject to diagnosis or repair at least once
during the "eligibility period

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
No reason not to start a lemon law claim now, based on their projected timeline.

30 days out of service automatically makes it eligible. Starting a claim now means Ford may accelerate the claim instead of waiting for the 30 day countdown, because it will save them rental costs and can get you into a new 2017 instead of having to eat the cost of getting you into an '18.

This ^^^
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
No reason not to start a lemon law claim now, based on their projected timeline.

30 days out of service automatically makes it eligible. Starting a claim now means Ford may accelerate the claim instead of waiting for the 30 day countdown, because it will save them rental costs and can get you into a new 2017 instead of having to eat the cost of getting you into an '18.

I think this sounds like reasonable advice.

You shouldn't have to wait 30 plus days.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really hate to ask, but when did you last check oil level??
Should not be using oil at 15k, but stranger thinks could happen.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call your Ford district rep. and tell him you can't wait a month for your dealer to get to it. They may send it to another dealer for you or get you something to tow with.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
Service writer just called, they tried to start it to diagnose the issue and it is locked up solid. Looks like I will not be going winter camping as they are backed up about a month before they can start on it. Oh well, gives me time to plan our spring southwest tour.

YIKES :E A completely roached engine with only 15,000 miles!?!?!?

Bummer. That's a pretty rare occurrence for any of the manufacturers. Hopefully they get you on the road quicker than a month.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!