cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Important options in a tow vehicle

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's obvious options that have to be considered in a tow vehicle. Off hand I would say things like tow rating, payload, final drive axle ratio, 4WD or 2WD, traction assist system, engine size and type, transmission, cooling system upgrades.

But as they say in those late night adverts....but wait....there's more !

People spend a lot of time in their tow vehicles and the ride shouldn't be like a hockey penalty box. At least not in my opinion.

So....my question goes...what about other options that should be considered ?

To me the sound system is important. Keeps you from being bored, sometimes keeps you more alert and can provide news/info.

I would say AM/FM radio, CD player, MP3 player...good speaker system.

CB radio with weather channel.

Comfortable for you and your family seats.

Quiet ride. Not every truck will approach Cadillac standards in road noise and comfort...but still this is important.

Ease of entry. I'm older now and find my body doesn't like to bend as much as it used to...also my wife is 5' 3" and she doesn't want to be a mountaineer in order to get in and out of vehicle. Maybe running boards will do the trick.

One of those little Magellan/ Garmin GPS deals to stick on your dash...although I'm more of a map guy myself.

Compass in the vehicle.

So add/subtract what you want, what am I missing and do you agree/disagree with my choices ? ๐Ÿ˜‰
32 REPLIES 32

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I didn't know my poor old truck was missing so much. The items I like best is a huge windshield to see this amazing country.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
I of my best items on my new Tundra is the blind spot monitor, worth it wait in gold with or without a trailer.
My next upgrade is a replacement 46 gal gas tank.
RV Jim
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
I want a truck that rides perfect and looks good and never breaks down, can haul 90,000 lbs. up a 10% grade at 70MPH without having to downshift, get 45MPG while doing it, all the interior bells and whisles, cheap to fuel/feed/maintain and MSRP of 8 grand.

I don't want much do I?
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Wyomings
Explorer
Explorer
Besides an am/fm radio and rear sliding window, my tv doesn't have any of the options being discussed.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I needed 4WD and the new pickup we bought has a 24" ground to doorsill height that was more than a little difficult to manage. The running boards or side steps as they are often called changed this to a 18" ground to doorsill distance and made it much easier to get into the cab for both my wife and myself. And I got the dealer to include the chrome side steps at no charge - he wanted to sell the truck.

OEM tow mirrors are better than the aftermarket - got the dealer to install these at no charge.

Seat heaters are a nice to have but the women love them.

No manufacturer will have a CB radio as less than one person in a 1000 would order it. Be happy with the Bluetooth and hands free use of your cell phone that is integrated with the new cars and trucks.

The tow package is a bargain with the added trans cooler, hitch, and other upgrades that are included.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
No IFS on a 4x4.
No leather.
Preferably, no power options & no carpet.

I will pay a premium to NOT get leather.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I must be the exception. Most of that stuff doesn't interest me. I went for plenty of power, payload and a comfortable seat.

I went for the same as you with except with just enough power. Got me an XL with cloth seats, IBC and the electronic power package. Never had carpet in a truck and never wanted it. Ended up being cheaper than the GMC 1/2 tons I was shopping at the time.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Darn I shouldn't have opened this thread. Think I just got the itch again.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Rear sliding window for quick ventilation.:W

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
#1 extendable electric mirrors. Very nice when backing over your right shoulder. Quick check of curbside tires on the fly.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

blt2ski
hone eagle wrote:
1650 torkees is all I need ,sound system - pshaw - 60 years old, 30+ working in noisy environments destroyed hearing enough so I don't need no 'sound system'.

EH, WHAT YOU SAY AGEN?!?!?!?!?!?

oh yeah, need to turn them hearin aids down again!!!!

I know the working in a noisy environment. Only took me 20 or so years. Could not hear my 7 yr old daughter! would go from my office to the living room, tell mom that daddy is not talking or listening to her! one quick way to make a daddy cry! 5 more years, one divorce, and I got the hearing aids at age 40!

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
1650 torkees is all I need ,sound system - pshaw - 60 years old, 30+ working in noisy environments destroyed hearing enough so I don't need no 'sound system'.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

blt2ski
Must be why I went from driving a dually CC dmax to a 3 total option rec cab 2500! Both have 3800 lbs of payload, both will pull my 12K equipment trailer.......

Ok, so one has 255 hp vs 320......4 forward vs 5, the posi is nice.......4wd, nice, but not NEEDED!......roll up windows vs power.....oh the 2500 sits some 8" lower than the 3500! A lot easier on the back lifting thing into the bed!

With this in mind, what is right for me, is different than the rest of you and vice versa. As long as it is the right tool for the moment, who cares what options etc it has.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
After straining my back picking up the hitch, I discovered the heated back seat is medicinal. Aaaaa!
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics