cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance for F350/F450 DRW

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
First post here. I'm retiring in a few weeks at age 57. But we have young triplet boys aged 6. So our vacation schedule is going to be the kids school vacation schedule.

We're thinking of spending their 2 summer months off traveling in a fifth wheel, likely something like a Grand Design Solitude 377mb.

Everyone here seems to say "make sure you get enough truck". So I'm looking at the new DRW F350/450's.

Have any Californians had an issue getting regular non-commercial insurance or registering their truck in this state? I've searched around and seen a number of posts from people complaining that their ins co forces them to buy a commercial policy if it's a F450.

I did call my carrier AAA today, and was told that my premium for the F450 Platinum would be about $1500. That's more than I'm paying for my Porsche!

Actually I'd rather get a used truck, but my wife is adamant about having all the latest safety features such as blind spot monitor and adaptive cruise.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
19 REPLIES 19

srosa
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
First post here. I'm retiring in a few weeks at age 57. But we have young triplet boys aged 6. So our vacation schedule is going to be the kids school vacation schedule.

We're thinking of spending their 2 summer months off traveling in a fifth wheel, likely something like a Grand Design Solitude 377mb.

Everyone here seems to say "make sure you get enough truck". So I'm looking at the new DRW F350/450's.

Have any Californians had an issue getting regular non-commercial insurance or registering their truck in this state? I've searched around and seen a number of posts from people complaining that their ins co forces them to buy a commercial policy if it's a F450.

I did call my carrier AAA today, and was told that my premium for the F450 Platinum would be about $1500. That's more than I'm paying for my Porsche!

Actually I'd rather get a used truck, but my wife is adamant about having all the latest safety features such as blind spot monitor and adaptive cruise.

I am in CA too and my new F450 pickup ended up being $55 more per year to insure than the 2011 F350 CC 4WD dually I traded in. GEICO is my insurer and they seem to understand the difference between "commercial" designations for pickups versus chassis cabs. I did have to sign additional documentation stating that the truck is not used commercially and that there were no commuting miles. My premium is about half of what you were quoted but my mileage estimates are lower than average.
2018 DRV MS 38 RSSA
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

blt2ski
Lexx,

Traveling light is 50-100 lbs per person.......you are packing a LOT more than that! I figured we loaded 2000-3000 lbs into our RV with a family of 6. 1300 lbs of people when my 4 kids were adult sized teens, just in the bodies alone with clothes etc. You will need to be one chassis upgraded vs most folks on here, just to handle people weight etc.

If you use in the winter as a ski hut, add a few more lbs for ski's, snowboards etc. not too mention snow load for the way down!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nevada will be ok with my MDT.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Lexx wrote:

There is an alternative: Get less trailer.

You can find lots of roomy options in 5th wheels in SRW F250/F350 territory. Odds are when the kids are grown and gone in 12 years you'll want something different to really retire in anyway, both truck and trailer. Then you can change your residence to another state that is more friendly to large truck ownership.

I had thought of that. But we have three 6 year old boys! They have bounds and bounds of energy. They need space to run, jump, crash into walls, etc.

And my wife and I would like a trailer that can stay very cool even in the heat of summer. So it can't be a lightweight low R value insulation unit.

We need room to store my kids bikes, our bikes, their clothes, our clothes, and all the other stuff a family of 5 needs. And lest you get the wrong idea, we actually travel light.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lexx wrote:

There is an alternative: Get less trailer.

You can find lots of roomy options in 5th wheels in SRW F250/F350 territory. Odds are when the kids are grown and gone in 12 years you'll want something different to really retire in anyway, both truck and trailer. Then you can change your residence to another state that is more friendly to large truck ownership.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
In any case, if you beg them I'm sure you can avoid a commercial license. After all, you're not commercial.

Clearly you've never dealt with insurance companies or the government before... They have "policies" that must be followed, and "systems" that limit them in what they can do... You can beg and plead all you want but you are not going to get an exception because you somehow think you are special.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Ma...the other state that tries to be as bad a California! They forced me to a commercial plate being it is a dually, once you have that plate you must get commercial insurance. I should have just bought a 450, I assumed I would be able to avoid this by getting a 350drw.

BTW the policy on my truck this year is $1670, I have safe driver credits that do not count as it is a commercial policy.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
In IL when I got a F450 they mandated commercial policy. It cost more and was a 12 month policy periods vs 6 months for non commercial. in the past I was able to get passenger plates for a few trucks I have owned but now I get truck plates for all.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
JS Kid wrote:
Lexx,

I live in Elk Grove CA, I have a 2016 Ford F350 - Crew Cab - DRW - Lariat. I have insurance through National General. I pay 974.00 per year, full coverage. My truck is licensed the same as my F250. I just payed the renewal, it was $725.00 for the year.

Do not have to stop at the scales.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for posting that. It's good to know.

JS_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx,

I live in Elk Grove CA, I have a 2016 Ford F350 - Crew Cab - DRW - Lariat. I have insurance through National General. I pay 974.00 per year, full coverage. My truck is licensed the same as my F250. I just payed the renewal, it was $725.00 for the year.

Do not have to stop at the scales.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions.
2016 Ford F350
1997 Ford F250 Powerstroke
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape
2005 Eagle Ultra Trailer
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660
2015 RZR 900S

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You may have to stop at weigh stations.

On this issue I'm pretty sure the answer is you do NOT stop at weigh stations. In fact others have posted that the weigh stations have a sign that states "NO RV's".

Only thing is in California if your GWV towing is over 16,500 lbs, then you need a Class A non-commercial license.

Class A Non Commercial required for a 5th wheel over 15,000 GVWR. Travel trailer requires it over 10,000 GVWR.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You may have to stop at weigh stations.

On this issue I'm pretty sure the answer is you do NOT stop at weigh stations. In fact others have posted that the weigh stations have a sign that states "NO RV's".

Only thing is in California if your GWV towing is over 16,500 lbs, then you need a Class A non-commercial license.
CA says over 10,000 for a bumper pull and over 15,000 for a 5th wheel.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Virginia and the dealer put truck tags on my 3500 dully. I went to the DMV and told them it was for an RV and they changed it to a standard plate. My insurance GEICO also insured me as a standard vechicle. Sometimes you just have to get them to understand it's not for business.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lexx wrote:
In fact others have posted that the weigh stations have a sign that states "NO RV's".
Yes, because RVs aren't licensed commercial.

I'm sure if one pleads their case hard enough a commercial license will be avoided.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman