cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a propane fire ring a waste of money???

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of buying a propane fire ring.
Does anyone have any comments.

I seems to be a cool idea but i would have to carry a propane tank and then the fire ring unit in the back seat.
Is it gong to be just more stuff to carry around.

Thanks
50 REPLIES 50

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
2Rad4U wrote:
dirtyhandz wrote:
We watch the Virtual Campfire (YouTube) on our iPhones while sitting in our lawn chairs. So easy and safe! Plus we can text each other about how much fun we are having.

:B

x2

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
dirtyhandz wrote:
We watch the Virtual Campfire (YouTube) on our iPhones while sitting in our lawn chairs. So easy and safe! Plus we can text each other about how much fun we are having.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Rickj91
Explorer
Explorer
We have had one for years, but our son and DIL borrowed it 3 years ago and seem to be always using it. So, this year we bought our own and have used it extensively, especially since our province was on fire most of the summer. Ye, it is nice going back in the camper not smelling like a fire!
2005 Chev 2500HD D/A,EC,SB,32 in. Hitch Ex. 2013 Wolf Creek 850 SB, 2007 Mirage 6X12 Cargo Trlr

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
dirtyhandz wrote:

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
we have the little red fire pit, and use it all the time. East of the mountains there are often burn bans where I can still use the propane pit.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS ALL FOR ALL THE COMMENTS.
I AM SOLD!!

Does anyone have any idea which is the best brand??
a carrying bag would be nice and maybe a 15' or 20' hose.

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot pal... another thing I didnโ€™t know I needed!
I gotta stay offaโ€™ here...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
We have two small dogs that are people magnets. I put them out in the enclosure and people are always stopping to chat and play with them. Great social focal point.

We have a Camp Fire in a Can. It is a people magnet. We set out chairs around it with some glasses on the end table. We have had some nice guest drop by to visit around the propane campfire. We have had the Glenlivets, the Walkers, the Beams, the Daniels, the Woodfords,the Cuervos and even Daniel E Williams from Tullamore and many others join us for a great social evening.

It is great to be able to socialize without a computer screen between friends.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea but it just ain't the same. Sitting there starring at a propane flame with lava rocks just seems silly. So yes to me it's a waste of money.
Whats next, bring an elec led fireplace, run an extension cord and set if on the fire grate and watch the light show?

farmer_s_daught
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter had bought one a few years ago from Costco to use on her patio. Once I bought my trailer, we started bringing it along. Washington State, and Spokane County specifically, has had fire bans in place each summer the past 3-4 years for most of the summer, even in RV parks. These propane fireplaces are so nice. I have a 3 lb. tank. We may or may not light it up for an hour or so on an evening or so, both for warmth and atmosphere. No worries about flying sparks, smoke, or having to stay up late to wait for the fire to burn down to dump water on. The ground isn't even hot underneath. You can still roast hot dogs and make s'mores (you just have to hose off the briquettes once in a while). Yes, I do love a good campfire, but these things are great!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have one and love it. One thing no one ever mentions, they don't work very well in windy conditions.

We love not smelling like a fire (we are both ex firefighters) afterwards, and having the fire go out when we decide to go to bed, instead of having to wait for the coals to go out.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an Outland fire bowl a few years back because of the usual fire bans in the spring here in Alberta. Turned out that we seem to be using it more and more each season. We used to avoid places that didn't allow wood fires, now if we want to go there we go knowing we can still enjoy sitting around the fire in the evening.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If itโ€™s that or no fire, then he!! Yeah!
Funny story, back in the day, we were camping with some friends during a fire ban. Car camping in the summer but up at treeline. Couldnโ€™t leagally have a campfire and there were enough people in the area to not chance it, even though we were on the edge of Wilderness area.
Buddy had a coleman lantern with a bad valve or something, so all it would do is flame up and not catch. Put that sucker in the middle of a rock fire ring and we had the only โ€œcampfire โ€œ on the side of the mountain the whole weekend!
Drank a lot around the Coleman portable campfire!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We doubled down on frivolity last October while at Alabama Hills with our families. I got an outdoor projector for father's day and using our camp chief propane fire pit and a $3.00 shower curtain from Lone Pine Hardware, we enjoyed 3 episodes of Tremors over a couple nights. What a waste! According to my kids Instagram accounts, it had more "like" comments than a center of gravity discussion.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body